1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are sleep issues age related in some cases?

Discussion in 'Later in Life and Seniors' started by texaskitty, Jan 30, 2018.

1. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Cat Lady Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I can't sleep for shit. Been this way for a while. 58 about to be 59. Therapist says its age related. Pdoc is evasive but sympathetic.

If this is normal for aging I'm not sure I want to go along for the ride.

crumbum likes this.
  2. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Alumni

Not really sure Texas. But I do believe they change. Some people need less as they age, some more.

EZ Writer and crumbum like this.
  3. yonk

yonk Active Member

ahh.. i can relate to this.. i'm glad that you're seeing therapist, texaskitty, since they're experts (supposedly)

i'm having sleep problems too, altho i'm 25.. main source is always thoughts running wild. any thoughts.. from life, games i played, etc.. i realized it, but can't rly avoid it..

my best trick is.. i make the room as comfortable as i can, drink warm stuff, lie down and cross my right arm on top of both my eyes. from then, i just let it all go.. relax.. and fall asleep. i find it has high chance (for me), and i can repeat this as many times as i needed..

i hope this helps.. sleep is rly important.. i'm in danger many times when driving if i'm sleepy..
    take care, texaskitty

crumbum likes this.
  4. gypsylee

gypsylee SF Supporter

Well my mother is in her mid 70s and she’s like the girl in The Ring who never sleeps haha. I think she’s always been like that though. Then again, I have heard older people sleep less. That’s why they’re at the shops at 7am :p

EZ Writer, Kira and crumbum like this.
  5. crumbum

crumbum Well-Known Member

I read a scientific study recently that directly correlated peaceful sleep to number of kitties on the bed with you at time of sleep. The study found that the ratio was dependent on age and location. The good news is that since Texas is a warmer state you should only need about ten to twelve kitties for your age range. People in Alaska in your same age range require 56-60!

But in all seriousness Angie.. I have had sleep issues all my life. I took trazodone for a number of years and I do believe it helped with quality of sleep. Maybe you could ask your doctor about that. Just very recently I've gotten a new doctor who is part of the new 'integrated medicine' department (basically code for chinese medicine that insurance will cover). She suggested I try acupuncture and I have an appointment next week.. I'll let you know how it goes. Also she does hypnosis for sleep issues and I have an appointment soon for that too (and I'll let you know too about that). Another thing is that she has me taking inositol 1500mg, zinc 100mg and 5htp 200mg before bed. I honestly haven't noticed much change in my quality of sleep since I've started taking them but I have noticed a general decrease in my day to day anxiety.. but they work for a lot of people with sleep so it might be something to look into. Other than that I would try sleep hypnosis.. that has worked for me in the pass. Michael Sealey has a bunch on youtube.. his voice annoyed me at first.. but when I gave it a chance I found there was something really relaxing about it.. (thanks @Yoko for recommending him to me a long long time ago). Here is one of my favorites..

Well that's all I got.. I was honestly joking about the acupuncture and hypnosis and vitamins and sleep hypnosis stuff.. but the cat thing is real! GET MORE KITTIES KITTY! :) Really though.. we love you.. I know you're in pain Ang.. but you are loved and you're in my thoughts often and so so many people heres thoughts also. Try some new things.. find a way.. you would be sorely sorely missed if you left us prematurely.

((((KittyKitty))))

Deety, texaskitty, Kira and 1 other person like this.
  6. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hey, @texaskitty - I've heard it can be related to age. I've usually heard that in relation to women beginning menopause. Have also heard, for men and women, we might tend to sleep fewer hours at a single stretch, although we perhaps make up for it with a snooze during the last ten minutes of an exciting prime time tv show. Ah, joy! :) Sorry you're not sleeping well. I hope it resolves itself soon.

PS: I like @crumbum's solution - sleep with kitties! :)

Kira and crumbum like this.
  7. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support SF Artist SF Supporter

@texaskitty i haven’t slept well since I retires several years ago and I’m old, so it may be :)
    @crumbum I sleep with an 85lb German Shepherd Dog, how many kitties does that equal lol

Winter Blues, Kira and crumbum like this.
  8. crumbum

crumbum Well-Known Member

9. drinty

drinty I'd rather be a Cat.

My sleep patterns have been pants for years but they are getting worse, I have a habit of waking up in the middle of the night, for hours on end for no reason, it's wearing me down now after a couple of months.

10. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

Sleep has always been a problem
    I gained enough weight to cause moderate sleep apnea to go to severe. I now have to sleep with a mask and a hose as I was falling asleep driving to work. I was so exhausted before; now I am moderately tired but manageable. I am 57 yo.
    I used to keep myself awake due to anxiety. Go figure. One extreme to the next.
    {{{Hugs}}}

11. Kira

Kira SF Gelfling Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Personally, my quality of sleep has declined as I've gotten older. I'm ultra noise sensitive so any kind of sound wakes me up. I've also got a terrible bladder issue - I'm up every 2-3 hours. I think that was due to pregnancy weakening the bladder though. I wake up every time I turn over. I get headaches when I sleep too. So by the morning, I feel like rubbish. I didn't have most of these issues a few years back so it's possibly age related. I'm sorry it's affecting you so much. We're constantly being told how important a good night sleep is for overall health but don't tell us how to get it!
    Take care Angie :) ox

crumbum likes this.
  12. SillyOldBear

Thanks for sharing @Kira I have huge bladder issues too. Up 5-6 times a night. Ever since kidney stones.

13. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Cat Lady Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Well I see a resounding "me too here" so I suppose it may be.

Thanks @crumbum for the kitties suggestion, I have two somewhat old and lethargic kitties that sleep with me on an off, does that count?

crumbum likes this.
  14. Winter Blues

Winter Blues SF Supporter

Getting older just sucks in so many ways. Can we start a thread “top ten Benefits of getting old” . I’m stuck on Number 1 x

EZ Writer likes this.
  15. SillyOldBear

There are benefits?

EZ Writer and Winter Blues like this.
  16. Winter Blues

Winter Blues SF Supporter

Not that i can think of ... I’m stuck on what number 1 would be out of 10 !

17. MarkahMalady

MarkahMalady Well-Known Member

I'm living with my parents who are in their early 60's and they don't sleep for shit! Especially my dad. He's in bed by 6 pm, up at 2am, napping at 8am. You never know what's up with him. My mom only sleeps when he doesn't so her schedule is the opposite. They're crazy people.
    The only thing I can say about sleep is from my own experience: get more exercise. Wear Your Ass Out Everyday. That's the only thing that's ever worked for me.

18. Lilyfrog

Lilyfrog Well-Known Member

oh my goodness @MarkahMalady my hubby is 7 years older than me he is 51 and he can sleep for England yet im 44 and sleep only a few hours a day