are ssri's worth it?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by austinhp78, Dec 22, 2007.

1. austinhp78

austinhp78 Well-Known Member

well i have depression, adhd, and i have a strong feeling that i have social anxiety as well. currently i am taking strattera but not anti-depressants. what i am wondering is are ssri's really worth it with all the possible side effects? i am slightly freaked out by the whole list of side effects.
    * nausea
    * drowsiness or somnolence
    * headache
    * clenching of teeth
    * extremely vivid and strange dreams
    * dizziness
    * changes in appetite
    * weight loss/gain (measured by a change in bodyweight of 7 pounds)
    * may result in a double risk of bone fractures and injuries
    * changes in sexual behaviour (see the next section)
    * increased feelings of depression and anxiety (which may sometimes provoke panic attacks)
    * tremors
    * autonomic dysfunction including orthostatic hypotension, increased or reduced sweating
    * akathisia
    * liver or renal impairment
    * suicidal ideation (thoughts of suicide)
    what are your experiences with ssri's and what are your feelings on them? i dont want to get on large amounts of medications just to fix the side effects of other medications.im kind of freaked out by the concept of the issues with erectile dysfunction and anorgasm seeing as that i have QUITE a few years ahead of me. i want to help my depression and social anxiety but i don't want to make my situation worse. what are your opinions on these things?

2. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I like(d) fluoxetine/prozac because it's one of the few antidepressants that doesn't cause weight gain. I don't think that SSRIs are that bad with regards to side effects. But hey, everyones different. You should give them a try though imo.

3. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

Personally they were useless but then again, I'm not one to speak- my experiences of medication is taking it for a week, not being able to bear the side effects then stopping it. The longest I took an SSRI on its own was around 2 months and that was Effexor which was the worst thing I've taken.
    I've taken a mixture of anti-psychotics/depressants for 8 months and just didn't like it..

Medication works differently for different people. I'd just experiment with them and weigh up the pros and cons and see if they help you, if you're interested in taking them. I'd keep an eye out for 'activating' SSRIs if you think you're likely to go manic on them. Not all people will experience the same side effects. With the sexual dysfunction that usually goes once you get off the medication.

4. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Austin, I wouldn't weigh that list of possible side-effects so much as whether I really want go down this road.

ADs are handed out far too frequently these days, with little knowledge given to the patient that the difficulties of ever getting off them can be quite overwhelming.

And yes, I'm on one myself, so I'm not "anti-psychiatry" or anything close. However, since the introduction of the SSRIs, antidepressants have become a multi-billion dollar industry for drug companies, which are even allowed to market them on TV ads in the U.S. now--a practice I find highly objectionable on many fronts.

Just keep these facts in mind. They can be life-savers, but should be an option of last resort unless your malaise is deep, pervasive, and suicidal. JMHO,

ToHelp