Are taxes a good thing?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by boo, Aug 19, 2010.

?

Are taxes a necessary evil?

1. No never!!! The hell with taxation!

26.9%
  2. Yes they are a necessary evil.

65.4%
  3. As long someone else pay the taxes, i'm happy :D

7.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I don't work anymore but i stumbled across an old pay stub that made me laugh and reminded me why i hated working. This is from 2 weeks worth of work. I got paid every 2 weeks.

Brut Salary = $2051,72 (sweet right?... not quite)

DEDUCTIONS :

RRQ : $94,97
    RQAP : $9.93
    Provincial Impot : $259,17
    Federal Impot : $204,62
    Employ Insurance : $28,31
    Capital ASS TVQ : $2,60
    R.R.E.G.O.P : $20,64
    PER Paratech SE : $39,91
    Capital ASS Base : $28,86
    Arrerages Assurances : $94,38
    Arrerages Carra : 61,92

TOTAL Deductions = $841,31
    Which Equals for a Net Salary of $1210,41 every 2 weeks.

That's 800 bucks i could have spent on something... but no... This is just brutal to see everytime i got my pay.
    Now now, i understand why there are taxes. Some i think are worthwhile and most others are pure fubar and don't profit me in the end.
    I understand rich people pay for taxes too, moreso than us. But look at it this way. People earning 100 grands a year, even with the taxes deductions won't suffer as much as us who are making significantly lesser.

By no means am i a smart person when it comes to numbers. In fact i'm retarded.

Most Americans seem to not have a problem with taxes, as long as somebody else is getting taxed. Under any and all religious and civil codes, this is wrong. Almost every culture in human history established the "Golden Rule" — treat others how you’d like to be treated, yet, some continue to advocate for higher taxes for particular groups of people (Smokers for example).

So my question is : Are taxes a necessary evil?

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Pretty much. I like how I don't starve to death in the street when I'm unable to work due to injury or mental illness. Go government!

Incidentally, I'm a big earner when I do work. This makes me feel better about being on welfare at the moment, knowing I'll eventually pay back what I take with dividends.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2010
  3. boo

boo Well-Known Member

you owe me 800 buck per 2 weeks :shelbi:

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I edited about the time you posted. You'll owe me much more than that by the time I retire - I'll be earning over 100k within 4 years of graduating university. :tongue:

5. .Dan

.Dan Active Member

Its a necessary evil. Without taxes there would be no roads, schools, or any kind of infrastructure. Not to mention there would be no military to protect from invasion. Its definitely necessary.

6. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

Taxes aren't evil. It's a basis for having a community- How else would the government/town pay for the stuff you get cheap/for free?
    For an example, in Iceland, the tax is around 45%, IIRC. School is almost free, health-care is free up to 18 years of age, and cheap after that (Doctors of all kinds), discount on sports and other activities for those under 18, roads are in decent condition, the amount of homeless people is minuscule, the police&fire department, although little needed, are working, the water is cheap, and so is power. The government pays down pretty much all that is essential, and in turn we pay taxes.

There's nothing evil about it. Or would you rather not pay taxes, and have the police act like the hospitals in the US, where they'd check if you have a 3rd party insurance before saving your life?

7. Edgar Roni Figaro

Edgar Roni Figaro Well-Known Member

Taxes are evil and they never stop once they start. The US government was designed to run on 1% taxation of the people. Due to bloated government expansion, and a near infinite amount of pork barrel projects it now runs on over 50% of our paychecks.

The government cannot nor will it ever be able to spend your money more efficiently than you can.

In 1943 income tax was introduced and government promised it would only effect the top 1% of the nation. Today income tax effects the entire middle class and steals over 20% of all peoples paychecks.

This nation was founded on the principle that taxation without representation is illegal. But like blind lemmings people have been led to believe that every tax they pay most of which have not been voted on by the public, are all legal and required.

Following ways the government taxes you. Taxes are evil and they will always grow until the day you pay 100% of your paycheck to the government. Through all the hidden taxes we pay today we pay approximately 54.4% of our paychecks to our government. The more money the government gets the more they control your lives including your basic liberties and Constitutional rights.

*Federal personal income tax 17% Top 25% rate. It ranges from a credit up to well over 40%.

*State & local income taxes 10.1% State taxes range from under 6% to over 12%. Local taxes run from zero to 2.75%.

*Sales tax 9.7% Figure is the average rate. State sales taxes range up to 8% and local taxes run from zero to over 5%. Source, source, source, source

*Social security & Medicaid 7.65% Total rate is actually 15.3% since half is paid by the employer, but we're ignoring that to be kind.

*Federal corporate income tax share 3% Based on corporate taxes being approximately 1/6 of personal taxes, and that they are paid by individuals in the final analysis.

*Property tax 2.5% Yearly average actual costs range from under $200 in Alaska to almost $1900 in New Jersey. Source

*Fuel/gasoline tax .5% Approximately 23% of the 2005 gasoline price is for federal & state taxes. The federal excise tax is 18.4 cents per gallon. Per the CPI, about 6% of the average budget is for transportation. Estimated.

*Other 5% Includes estate tax, fees, licenses, inflation losses, inheritance, deficit allowance, gift, and others too numerous to mention. Estimated.

* Accounts Receivable Tax
    * Building Permit Tax
    * Capital Gains Tax
    * CDL license Tax
    * Cigarette Tax
    * Corporate Income Tax
    * Court Fines (indirect taxes)
    * Deficit spending
    * Dog License Tax
    * Federal Income Tax
    * Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
    * Fishing License Tax
    * Food License Tax
    * Fuel permit tax
    * Gasoline Tax
    * Hunting License Tax
    * Inflation
    * Inheritance Tax Interest expense (tax on the money)
    * Inventory tax IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax)
    * IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
    * Liquor Tax
    * Local Income Tax
    * Luxury Taxes
    * Marriage License Tax
    * Medicare Tax
    * Property Tax
    * Real Estate Tax
    * Septic Permit Tax
    * Service Charge Taxes
    * Social Security Tax
    * Road Usage Taxes (Truckers)
    * Sales Taxes
    * Recreational Vehicle Tax
    * Road Toll Booth Taxes
    * School Tax
    * State Income Tax
    * State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
    * Telephone federal excise tax
    * Telephone federal universal service fee tax
    * Telephone federal, state and local surcharge taxes
    * Telephone minimum usage surcharge tax
    * Telephone recurring and non-recurring charges tax
    * Telephone state and local tax
    * Telephone usage charge tax
    * Toll Bridge Taxes
    * Toll Tunnel Taxes
    * Traffic Fines (indirect taxation)
    * Trailer Registration Tax
    * Utility Taxes
    * Vehicle License Registration Tax
    * Vehicle Sales Tax
    * Watercraft Registration Tax
    * Well Permit Tax
    * Workers Compensation Tax

8. Things

Things Well-Known Member

I don't even see it as a "necessary evil", just a necessity. We need taxes to pay for certain services such as our police force, and it helps every one in the long run.

9. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

And, mostly, because very few people would willingly pay for them, thinking that "someone else will". Hence, mandatory.

10. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

death and taxes as they say are the only two certainties in life...we need taxes to build and maintain our cities and other infrastructure and it benefits us all even if we dont really see how it does. Th evil comes from taxation without representation, or in the corruption of those in power, or even with those who dont let their voice be heard (e.i. by not voting) and letting others speak for them.

Taxes suck but how else would we build a society that we have today?

11. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

They're a necessary evil because we're evil by nature. We're selfish, corrupt, backstabbing, perverse and condemned by our own selves. Without government and taxes nothing would hold this boat together. We would all hoard our wealth, a huge gaping gap would appear between haves and have nots, and endless war would rage between everyone. We would soon ravage the entire planet until the only things left are massive engineering projects to give survivors clean oxygen, water, habitat and everything else natural that we destroyed in our greedy quest to own and dictate the conditions of life. We're innately selfish and ignorant. We need rules to enforce fair play.

It's just like a playground. You need someone to supervise them so they follow the rules. Same thing.

You might say that there's a difference between an aide during recess and adults supervising adults through government. You might say kids aren't mature enough. You might say no human can know what's best for other humans so therefore humans cannot rule over humans. I'd disagree because the sum total of democracy is BETTER than any single individual human. We're BETTER when we work together and the sum total of our wisdom is expressed through democracy and government. Thus, government CAN set the rules and enforce them because it represents the wisdom of all people which is greater than any single person.

1 person is like a child on the playground.
    Many people working through democracy and government is like the aide watching the children on the playground.

no government <-> dictators <-> government of the few <-> government of the people, by the people, for the people

It's a sliding scale and looks like that. We NEED government, but you need all people to be involved for good government.

I'm only against government and taxes if it's not of the people, by the people, and for the people. Most of the tea party members are against government because they don't realize it's not -always- of the people, by the people, and for the people. They mistake bad government as government. Freedom is good until there're no rules. You need a balance agreed on by all the people.

Government of the few is almost the same thing as no government at all.

It's sad that we forget that we're innately corrupt and selfish and ignorant and have to repeat the past over and over. You see it when good laws are thrown out and when dictators rise in power. Both cases happen over and over again.

I say all this knowing full well I'm 1 human too and can become crazy at any time. Good government will help protect you from me.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2010
  12. Charlie Milles

Charlie Milles Well-Known Member

I think indirect taxes are necessary but direct taxes, "evil".

13. Chameleon76

Chameleon76 Well-Known Member

All of this is happening right now. I guess we need more rules and taxes to fix it. lol

14. Things

Things Well-Known Member

Excuse my ignorance, but what is indirect taxes?

johnnysays: Excellently put!

15. Charlie Milles

Like a sales tax or a goods & services tax. A tax that, though hard, you could technically avoid ever paying. So, in short, you'd never be forced to pay a tax for simply, being.

16. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

As the line in the song says

"tax on cigarettes treats my cancer"

There was talk in the UK of taxing you if you had a nice view, which begs the question if you live in Glasgow do you get money back for having such a shit view.

17. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Tax is a necessity, yes. But there must be a limit.

In my hometown, buildings with a nice view are rarely built nowadays because it would be "unfair". It is not said out loud, but it is rather apparent. I don't know whether to laugh at it or cry.

18. Charlie Milles

Having a nice view from your building or home is "unfair"? :laugh:

19. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Everyone here shall be equal= live in the same shit. Check the Jante law out :sad:

20. Charlie Milles

Wow, sounds like Harrison Bergeron. I'd lose my mind in a society like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.