1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there any fans of The Kinks out there (no fair posting is you're Ray Davies)

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by DarnTired, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarnTired

DarnTired Antiquitie's Friend

I've been a fan of sixties music my entire life, but The Kinks have contunually flown under my radar until a few years ago. Of course, I knew songs like "You Really Got Me" and "Lola", but I never had any of their albums. Then when I started exploring their work, I found that most of their albums needed repeated listenings before their charm began to grow on me. Nearly all the albums that I own of theirs and love are albums that were nothing special to me when I first heard them (in some cases, I sold them and rebought them years later when I decided to give them another try). Recently, I've been in a Kinks mood and have been expanding my CD collection with their work. Currently, the albums that I have are Face To Face, Something Else, Village Green Presevation Society, Arthur, Lola vs. Powerman & The Moneygoround and Muswell Hillbillies. These are all great albums.

Anyone else have anything they want to say about The Kinks? Or about a group or album that took a few listens before you started to love it?

By the way, part of my newfound appreciation comes from a fantastic documentary that I saw recently about Ray Davies, the title of which I can not remember.

2. Wonderstuff

Wonderstuff Staff Alumni

I love sixties music too, but must confess to never having taken much notice of The Kinks either...perhaps I should check out some of their lesser known songs :) Thanks for the tip!!

3. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

The Kinks are amazing!

And I have seen Ray Davies perform live :biggrin:.

4. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I LOVE the Kinks.:biggrin: Didn't they have an album called GOD SAVE THE KINKS?

The sixties and seventies produced some awesome rock and roll. Especially when the bands started writing politically-leaning songs...:rolleyes:

Great taste in music, my friend!:smile:

least

5. DarnTired

DarnTired Antiquitie's Friend

The next Kinks album that I'd like to pick up is "Kinda Kinks". Anyone have any reviews for me?

By the way, I know that most reviewers shrug off their theatrical albums from the 70's. Anyone here heard them? Any opinons?

And to The Least Of These, thanks for saying that I have good taste. I've always felt out of step with the mainstream because of the music and movies that I like. It's one of the things that has always made me feel separate from others and different. It's nice to know that there are others out there who don't think I'm a weirdo just because I like listening to old rock.

You guys are all great.

(Awwww... virtual group hug... if such a thing is possible)

DT

6. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Possible? Yes, and here it is...:grouphug:

:biggrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.