Are there any medications out there to help with anger problems?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by gag, Feb 5, 2008.

1. gag

gag Well-Known Member

I was just wondering.

I've got a bad temper, and lately it's been building up, I think I'm going to snap on someone one of these days.

The last couple weeks I've gotten an eye twitch, and little things set me off.
    Like if I make too many typos, or I sub my toe, or anything really, I'll totally lose it.

I never had problems with my temper in years, but when I was a little kid I was put in counselling and stuff for it, and that seemed to get rid of it, but it's coming back.

Like a few weeks back a bunch of guys crashed my friends party and one of them punched him in the face, so I grabbed a steel pipe and chased like 7 guys down the road.

And I got fined the other day, and got really mouthy with the cops, something I normally wouldn't do, looking at it now I'm surprised they didn't lay more charges on me.

So is there any medication out there for my temper problems?
    Thanks.

2. This is a little more comprehensive (but only as an overview) than anything I could say. I simply googled "medications for anger". It's a fairly easy read - and DO see #10...

There is lots of info out there! I got this in about 1 second! Be proactive (it may give you the feeling/reassurance that you are NOT completely powerless)

www.selfcounseling.com/help/anger/angermanagement.html

3. faeriegirl

faeriegirl Active Member

I have been on Paxil for about 2 months and was having some pretty severe rage episodes. I felt like I was turning into one of those rage zombies from 28 Days Later. My pdoc put me on a low does of Abilify, which is anti-psychotic. Its supposed to help with anger and intrusive thoughts. I feel a *little* calmer today, but its just my first day, so its still too soon to tell yet I think.