Are there such things as suicide halfway houses?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by fromthatshow, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Like for drug addicts but instead for someone coming out of the hospital. The hospital stays are so short-term but my crisis has been going on for so long. I need more help than I'm getting.

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I am not sure but this is a good question for your pdoc...J

3. mousey

mousey Member

YES YES YES!

www.maytree.org.uk.

I only say this so enthusiastically because I just got home from such a place and it's one reason I am still here. Assuming you are based in the UK, this place is a respite centre called Maytree House and is in London, but take people from all over. I got a lot from my stay there. They do not charge and are volunteer run. It's a great space to just be and to talk a little to people if you want. The stay is limited to 5 day but it's a start. I hope you find what you are looking for.

4. mousey

mousey Member

sorry just realised you aren't in the UK.

5. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

There are places in LA but they are scarce but I found them online. They are referrred to as 'in-patient" living but you have too separate out them from true full blown hospital/clinic type of inpatient living as the search does not. I don't know much about them. I have opened up my house to an uncle once and my lawyers son...is there a family member that you could stay with?
    I have an extra room if you need a break from the east coast! Hell I almost offered it to the local homeless lady as I do so much better when I am not alone but am looking for someone to stay with me in exchange for whatever they can offer.

Let me know any info you find out and I will ask around a bit more too - my pdoc is from CT

Take care B

6. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, I've been looking for a place like this this for ages...shame the stay is so short.

7. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

There are half way houses all over the US. Also, most hospitals have a psychiatric ward that you can get some information about.

8. Ash7614

Ash7614 Active Member

We have many of these places here in australia.

St John of God is a big one.

It's strictly for all types of psychiatric needs. I've spent 6 months in there and it was great.
    it's like a home away from home with groups etc.

9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

There are places like this Spencer. They are outpatent psychiatric services. Many times you still go to group or other therapy type sessions during the day and then have somewhere you spend the evenings in which you have more freedoms. They are usually only short term like a few weeks, but they make sure you have a support plan in place before you are completely released.

10. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Wow I didn't realize anyone actually replied to this. Thank you all so much. I didn't know there were really places like this out there. Carla helped me find one in Canada but it would be nice to find one in the US.
    Whoever said their doc was from CT if you do find anything out let me know because I haven't found anything in Connecticut, and neither has the people on my insurance that are supposed to be helping me out.
    I would definitely go out to California if it was a free place (volunteer based) like that one in the UK. ANY information you guys have... phone numbers, websites, whatever, would be deeply appreciated! I've been looking around for a long time and have not found anything similar to what Carla showed me in Canada and that link for the UK.
    And although I'd be willing to travel to go to either one of those, I'd have to get a passport and who knows if they'd let me stay there.

11. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I know that there are such places but i don't know of any myself. Sorry i couldn't be of much help jst wanted to say i'm here for you and hope your ok :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.