Are there things in your life that do bring you joy, which give you respite from ST?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by MotownJohnny, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotownJohnny

MotownJohnny Member

Do you have things that help you, at least temporarily, feel better and stop thinking about suicide, stop having suicidal thoughts?

I do, some, and it is often short-lived and I lapse back into thinking about killing myself, but it still helps at the moment.

Some of my things I really enjoy:

Orchids -- right now, I have 3 cymbidiums in bloom, as well as a number of phaleonopsis. I took the cymbidiums to work so I can enjoy them in the office, and they look very impressive when clients come in.

Music -- I'm fairly diverse in my tastes, as long as it is recent, 1990s or later, but I enjoy a smattering of 80s music from time to time, since I came of age in the 1980s. I like pop, alternative, contemporary country, and certain rap and hip hop and r&b artists. Some of my absolute favorites that I play to death -U2, Bon Jovi, Green Day, Eminem, Lady Antebellum, Luke Bryan, Faith Hill, Duran Duran, Daughtry, Rihanna, Rascal Flats, The Script, Sheryl Crow, Sarah Maclaughlin, and Keith Urban. I listen almost all day while at work, and when I'm working out.

Exercise and fitness. Cycling is pure joy, a sense of freedom, an escape from my problems. My goal for the upcoming season, March/April through November, is 5,000 miles. And I want to do my first Century ride (100 miles) - I have come close, 87 miles. I am also in to swimming, running, boxing, strength training. I want to take tennis lessons next summer (because I'm pretty sure I wont' off myself).

My animals -- a dog, diamond doves, various fish, some firebelly toads, and hermit crabs and a tank of red fiddler crabs. I just set up the red fiddlers about a month ago, and I love them -- their antics remind me of the Three Stooges.

Gardening -- not really the season, but I do a lot of that in season

Cooking -- not much time for that now, but I'm a really good cook, if I do say so myself.

Home improvement projects - a lot of satisfaction from doing things myself.

You???

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Re: Are there things in your life that do bring you joy, which give you respite from

There are a few things that I can still enjoy that will give me a bit of relief from the sadness I'm feeling. I write every day, I make sure that I do, because I had gone too long without writing. I like to see how creative I can become, and it keeps me occupied. I like to watch movies, because I get a break from my thoughts for a few hours. Music has always been a life saver, and it can sometimes improve my mood. I used to draw and do other types of art, but I stopped...maybe I will pick that up again. I like going out and doing things, at least when it's not winter. Harder to get out and have much fun when the weather is so bad. I enjoy spending time outside and going for walks. I basically have to keep my mind busy most of the time so I don't have to think of anything bad. Oh, that's another thing I like, sleeping. Because that is the one thing that really gives me an easy break from it all.

3. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

Re: Are there things in your life that do bring you joy, which give you respite from

oddly enough, johny, yesterday we were talking about my bipolar, and i got asked what it was like for me to feel high, and a little more stable

and i said.. well, no matter what the feeling- or how i am, the feeling of suicide never goes away- the thought of your next low never goes away, etc etc

i mentioned i liked music and stuff, and watching movies, but it never goes away... my thoughts of suicide have become far too strong- and sure, even though i've discovered a lot of new groups in the last month, it does not change how i feel about things

4. Roam

Roam Member

For me there is not much at the moment. More than joy I have things that distract me and allow me to take my mind away from negative toughts. As much as I can enjoy a movie, music or a videogame, I just feel it's all just escapism.

5. ava321

ava321 Active Member

the few things that bring me some relief are only temporary. then it just hits me again and i come crashing down. it's almost easier to just keep the thoughts instead of having that crushing feeling suddenly take me over.

6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

my granddaughters but i barely seem them now
    keeping busy cleaning washing ect going for walks shopping to just be out amongst people not so alone.

7. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

My animals - and my family/children are either the what brings me joy or stress depending on the day and hour :)

8. JustKindaThere

JustKindaThere Well-Known Member

No and I'm not even gonna try and kid myself into believing there is.

9. sweetles

sweetles Well-Known Member

it's like you say, the thoughts/feelings/urges never go away, but a few precious things can distract sometimes. it seems like less and less things are able to accomplish that trick for me as time goes on, but sex remains one (though I don't experience nearly enough of it), and cuddling/playing with my cat Scooter is another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.