Are these statments all lies?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by nicesinging1, Aug 2, 2010.

1. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone. Recently, I had a dialogue with buddies in chat room regarding my beliefs on how life works. Basically the point being is that he disagreed fundamentally with what I believed or what I thought was the truth in life. He said what I have been told by my friends is all lies and they were just trying to cheer me up. The below are the statements he said are lies.

"Life is what you make of it."
    "Nothing is impossible."
    "God never gives something we can't handle because simply God is smart enough not to create a life that ends itself."
    "If there is a will, there is a way. There is always a way out no matter how unbearable."

I have straightforward Qs for all of you. Are the above statements all lies? If yes or no, why?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

2. A.SoNiC.boY

A.SoNiC.boY Well-Known Member

OK Hank, here ya go:

1) - LIE: in reality you cant make lemons into lemonaid without water and sugar, sometimes water and sugar come from good luck.

2) - LIE: if your mentally challenged, your not going to be the president of the US.

3) - LIE: there is NO god. *personal opinion*

4) - LIE: sometimes no matter how bad you want something it just isn't going to happen.

they ARE all lies.

Love,
    ~ Ben

3. Mystic

Mystic Well-Known Member

I guess the best answers are relative only to the person answering them.

"Life is what you make it"

No. Others have made my life for me. I have had little or no say how my life has played out. If i had been given the same chances as everyone else, then my life would be different.

"Nothing is impossible."

It is. In my case, having a contented fulfilling life is impossible.

"God never gives something we can't handle because simply God is smart enough not to create a life that ends itself."

This is only applicible if you believe in God - which I don't, thus irrelevant.

"If there is a will, there is a way. There is always a way out no matter how unbearable."

I have only one way out in my mind having long since exhusted all options.

4. kyle88

kyle88 Well-Known Member

"Nothing is impossible."

If nothing is impossible, then the possibility of something being impossible is possible.

5. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

I can see why these statements would strike such a strong reaction from people who are suicidal. These statements indicate hope for the future, which a suicidal person can not believe in. I am basically neutral about the statements. I do know however you are probably better off if you believe them. You will do better living in hope than thinking nothing can be done to better your life.

6. boo

boo Well-Known Member

1- life is what you make of it as long you have the necessary materials. You can only do so much with a rock...

2- nothing is impossible until you realise the way life works.

3- That's a odd thing to say. Since the circle of life is just that. A beginning and a end.

4- tell that to the people with terminal illness.

I like this alot

7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

"Life is what you make of it."

To an extent, and that depends on so many factors. People have different circumstances. That doesn't mean some people are scared of getting better, or don't want to, because of possibility of failure? (or whatever reason) I'm not one of those people tho'. I love trying and "failing."

"Nothing is impossible."

It depends on where you set your sights, and if you're being realistic with yourself. It frightens me to see people un/knowingly walk into a death trap sometimes, with their choices.

Depends if you believe in God, I don't. That sentence strikes me of "you're able to cope," evading reality that many people can't.

I don't doubt that willpower and determination can take you places- I have loads. But that doesn't address what we live in, and that people might block that someone doing what s/he wants, especially when that person is doing something that many people aren't, and aren't used to.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2010
  8. Things

Things Well-Known Member

It worked for Bush, didn't it?

....ok I apologize for that.

Lies is a harsh word. They're not trying to deceive you. They may actually believe what they say.

9. Reluctant

Reluctant Member

I think so.

1. Working within your means won't get you where you want (a lot of the time).
    2. We're very restricted with what we can do.
    3. God isn't real.
    4. People having committed suicide is evidence enough that people can only handle so much, even with will.

10. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

A lovely point of view... if you can truly believe in that- even when things go wrong, and you can keep positive and trying hard; that is great.
    I envy any person with such positive perspectives of life.

I don't know. Personally I'm a very pessimistic person when it comes to myself.
    I believe that; sure, anyone can do anything--- I just can't because I suck.

I've seen some people really make it in life without trying. I've seen some people struggle and get very little-- and some people really struggle and try their best and always remain positive; and even if it doesn't turn out amazing- like they'd hoped; they are still happy with the outcome. I think that is beautiful.

11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I think the last three are lies. But I also think you can produce a liveable, happy life from even a lousy hand of cards. But it's not easy.