Are they linked?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Daphna, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

When I was where many of you are today, I felt spiritually dead. I suffered from an intense mysterious loneliness that I could not fill with anything available, and I tried! I suffered from bipolar which felt as though my mouth, heart, and mind had a mind of their own. I was just the one that watched what they did to all of those around me, and I was the one who had to deal with the aftermaths of their destruction. I was emotionally unstable, and I harbored the most intense hate for everything including myself. Now that I am spiritually alive through my faith in Yahweh, his word, and promises. I have found that through prayer, and faith I have over come everything in the past to everything that comes to me in the future. I no longer suffer from bipolar or anything else that I was once suffering from. My question is this: Do you see a link between mental, physical health and spiritual health? Yes or no, please give me your reasons why, and if you do not know, have you ever considered that it is your spiritual health that is affecting your everyday life negatively? Do you think it makes sense that if your spiritual health is either neglected or repressed to ignored that you will suffer from these things? Thoughts? :)

2. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

It is. Belief in a "higher power" often gives people help by reducing their loneliness, despair, etc., because that there is some external force which will make everything better, everything is a part of something bigger and thus nothing is meaningless, and the feeling that no matter how much misery one is in, it gives you hope that it'll be better. It's a crutch, supporting people. Then there's the social aspect, going to a church and getting emotional support from people who, more often than not, give considerable warmth to people in their "flock".

For all the shit religion has caused, or at least been used as an excuse for, it's unquestioningly good for people's well-being (Up to a point, obviously. Bigotry, zealotry, extremism, all those things are pretty bad for your well-being.).

There are drawbacks, but people who already believe care not for them, for if they were to believe in these drawbacks, they'd not believe in their deity/deities.

3. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

^ Well said.

I would probably be a happier person if I unquestionably believed there was some sort of omnipotent puppeteer controlling everything and making things happen for a reason.

Religion was after all invented as an attempt to help explain the chaotic world we live in.

I'd be a believer in X religion if I could, but alas I know better and it is hard to close an opened mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.