Are they really there?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by barto, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barto

barto Well-Known Member

In the past years since a severe traumatic event when I was 11, I've been plagued with these invasive thoughts. Sometimes it's stupid things, but other times they really scare me.

I don't know if I'm imagining this, but it seems that there are two different voices. One says things like "It's a trap!" or "They're poisoning your food" and the other is more along the lines of "Everybody hates you!!" and tells me to harm myself.

It seems like they've gotten worse. Are they really there or just some random thoughts in my head? Am I imagining every thing? Is this just one of those of "If you have to ask, then it's not happening" sort of things?
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If you're thinking the thoughts, they're clearly there. This sounds rather serious and I would like you to seek psychiatric help before you listen.
  3. barto

barto Well-Known Member

Thank you for your quick response. I'm just unsure of these sorts of things. I try to me a logical person and just want to cover all the bases before I jump to the conclusion that I'm hearing voices.
    Thank you again.
  4. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

random thoughts are scary and can be a result of past trauma or anxiety and you cant control them. see your doc and explain past trauma if he doesnt already know (ptsd can cause these symptoms). you cant control them alone and dont try. post how u get on
  5. Leiaha

Leiaha Well-Known Member

you sound like me a few months ago, hope things get sorted soon =D

Lea x x
  6. barto

barto Well-Known Member

I'm going to my first psych therapy session on Teusday. I don't think I'm going to come right out and say "I'm hearing voices that tell me to do bad things," but I'm hoping I'll get to the source of it eventually with my pdoc.
    Thanks for your comment.
  7. barto

barto Well-Known Member

Thanks, I hope so to. And if you don't mind me asking, how did things turn out for you?
  8. icequeen

dont worry so much about your first session, your psych will want to get to know you and you will need to feel comfortable with him/her before you open up...i have only just started being totally honest with mine and i am sure that is normal, just tell what you are comfortable with. in fact i am not totally honest but as honest as i feel comfortable with. you will know when its and if its right for you to open up so dont worry about it and good luck.
  9. barto

barto Well-Known Member

That's what the people on chat today were telling me. I heard there's going to be like a questionnaire involved, and I think I'll be able to be honest in that, but it's the looking in the person's eye and telling them what I'm thinking part I'm worried about (I have severe social anxiety and it gets in the way of things like this). All being said, I'm sure I'll come around eventually and thanks again :smile:
  10. icequeen

if it helps, not sure i would recognise my therapist if i fell over him in the street, i rarely look him in the eye, i didnt realise that until someone asked me what he looked like and i hadnt a clue. its no biggie, just do and say what you are comfortable with at first, you have to build up a relationship of trust which isnt going to happen overnight so just do as much as you feel happy with. good luck again...and let us know how u get on
  11. icequeen

good luck tomorrow...answer honestly and dont worry about not looking in therapist eyes...just go as far as you are comfortable, but to get a propery diagnosis you have to be as honest as poss on the forms

take care
  12. solutions

solutions Well-Known Member

Where are the voices coming from? Outside your head? Inside a specific part of your body? Do you hear them with your ears?

Those are questions that you may be asked.
  13. icequeen

how did you get on today?
  14. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

I'm curious too. Good? Bad?
  15. barto

barto Well-Known Member

I actually didn't go. I had a really, really tough day and my mother was sympathetic and didn't make me go. I'm rescheduled for 2 weeks from the original date.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.