Are we becoming a 'Big Brother' nation?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Deathly Strike, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deathly Strike

Deathly Strike Well-Known Member

This discussion mainly applies to anyone living in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland but anyone can take part because, in one way or another, it will affect everyone.

Is it me or is this nation becoming more and more like a Big Brother nation? I mean, you can't actually go anywhere these days without at least three CCTV cameras watching you, or without seeing a single police officer. The added comfort zone, or security, is nice but it's beginning to feel too crowded or cramped if you know what I mean. And with the recent announcement of having implants in our hands which track our every move, and the news that the government can now listen in on any phone call they want, its becoming more and more restricted.

What are you views on this?

2. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I think it's only going to get worse. I'm in the US but as you say, it will eventually affect everyone. I can imagine it will cut down on your run of the mill street crime.

Thing is, it's only gonna catch the dumbest criminals. The smart ones (who I consider to be inherrently more dangerous) will always figure out ways around technology. Computers are only as smart as their programmers so there will invariably be innocent people who get mistaken for criminals or someone else. Of course, these bugs can be mostly worked out but not without inconveniencing and traumatizing quite a few innocents.

Many people are also just averse to the big brother mentality on it's face. Such systems tend to get more and more controling, manipulative and restrictive. It's nobody's fault, really. Everyone wants to be safer and wants to feel safe walking down the street. It seems like a good idea on the surface. A lot of people are just very wary of a government that sees all of it's citizens as suspects.

3. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

America definitely is becoming more like a big brother nation. Every one is now able to be spyed on. Government wire taps and spys on thousands of citizens, some times their every move. They can arrest people and torture people with out them being able to defend their selves. And they don't have to give any proof for the crimes they commited you of doing. That means the government can say you're a terrorist or criminal even if you aren't take you away to some prison for months maybe years with out trial and torture you if they want. Their is suppose to be habeas corpus, a law or ethic that allows people to defend their selves in court against charges brought against them. Now in america george bush signed and congress passed a new law called the patriot act that removes habeas corpus, taking away one our most important civil rights. Our country/tries our fucked unless we do some thing. They scare us with terrorism and lie to us that if we let them take away our rights that they will make us safer, but really they only want to have more power over us and take advantage of us.

4. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's less and less freedom, everywhere. Cameras everywhere, you're not allowed to smoke anywhere, anti-terror laws that allow governments to spy on everyone, public space and nature being privatized, walking space turned into automobile space. The only place you can visit outside your house is a place where you have to pay for something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.