Are we on the verge of World War 3?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by kyle88, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyle88

kyle88 Well-Known Member

The more time passes by, the more I see this world headed for another war, and it's not crazy to assume that a third world war would be the last...

Look at whats happening...

- You have the US in Afghanistan and Iraq fighting the "War on Terror", and havn't even caught Osama yet... and from a lot of reports it doesn't seem like this war is going to finish soon or who exactly is winning?

- You then have Iran who are trying to get nuclear weapons, and for purposes which are definitely suspicous.

- North Korea falls in the same boat as Iran, another country trying to or already has Nuclear Weapons, whose purposes for having them are also suspicous.

- South Korea and North Korea seem to be getting more divided especially after the submarine incident.

- Israel just fought Hezbollah in Lebanon, and after the recent coverage of whats happening in the West Bank (after the flotilla raid), even the UN is condemning them for blocking the west bank. Don't forget Israel is not liked by almost all it's arab neighbors, and the Iranian government has made their distate for Israel clear.

- India and Pakistan have been having problems for ages, and after the Mumbai attacks from Pakistani terrorists it was clear that the issues between Pakistan and India are not resolved.

-We are in the middle of one of the worst financial crisis' the world has seen since the great depression.

- Even though the cold war ended 20 years ago, it's clear the US and Russia still have some differences, especially since we had Russian Spies in the US... I understand every country has spies, but the attetion this story got definitely isn't good for relations between the two.

These are just off the top of my head, and I'm sure i'm forgetting other things.... or maybe i'm just being stupid, but is it really out of the question to consider we could be on the verge of another world war?

2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

IMO...we're already in it for many of the reasons you mention. I doubt there will ever be a "world war" as was typical of I and II considering the other options of horrors which can be inflicted, including biological and nuclear!

I hope we're both wrong, but I doubt that as well. It's just a matter of time.

3. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I'm hoping due to our more communicative nature these days that we don't end up seeing the horrific shit that was in WW1 and WW2. All the stuff with the Jews etc etc, I'd say we've moved on from that. But hey that's just me. It'as all about nuclear crap these days. Not flying planes over foreign countries at night trying to blow someone up.

Can't wait for the day when we pull out of Iraq and so on. It's always on the news..."another soldier killed in Afghan" etc etc. I hope it ends soon :I

4. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

Yes I have a feeling things will get bad

If you ask me this war will be about

Getting the "western world" out of the Islamic world

And considering the Islamic world has thousands of people who are willing to die for their Allah and they are probably already in the western world, I would have to say they will be the victor in this war

5. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

I have to agree in parts to this, the way we communicate globally we can no longer operate on the basis of a world war per say, instead individual conflicts flair up, Russia for example, Israeli etc, even the USA pushing it's weight with Iran. The truth of the matter is we have the UN to stop all this, but they are powerless to stop one country going stuff this lets invade so and so and see what happens. But as a global economy I think there is more at stake then lives going to war, ( I do not want to sound like I am cheapening the lives of our soldiers there so please forgive me if it sounds like that). It is amazing throughout time, man has yet to learn that war is pointless.

6. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

the only good thing about war is it helps with the population problem

if you ask me the real problems in the future will be the fact there are to many people on earth and not enough resources

even though in the grand scheme of things, lets say a HUGE war kills several million people, that is nothing compared to the billions on earth

not that I am advocating war, I am just saying if you want to look at a "positive" that is it

If you ask me life is going to get VERY ugly in the near future, our whole world is revolved around money and oil, what will happen when cheap oil runs out

What will happen when clean water runs or becomes less accessible as it is in much of the world

I have such a bad feeling about the future of this world and I think we may be hitting the down side now

7. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

World war, no chance. Everyone always says world war 3, everyone is always trying to create the scenario. These conflicts and tensions are not worth hyping.

Ok it's right to be fearful because lets not forget the British Isles had peace since 1746 before the first world war.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2010
  8. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Are you forgetting the napoleonic wars? Or do you mean war on british soil? Sorry if i got it wrong.

Anyway as for world war three, i think the OP could be right that all these events could indeed trigger world war 3 and if they dont, then when coal, gas and oil run out then i think this will probably start world war 3

9. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I can't remember where I read it but there's about enough oil for a 100 or so years. Like imagine when it runs out. I know we could have electric cars and all. But so many of them would be just left lying around. Even then, you'd still need some sort of combustion engine with some grunt for the trucks and and freight trains. Then you have the planes. Imagine what it'd be like with no air travel D:. Well by then I'm sure someone would've invented something different.

But hey, who doesnt like the old horse and carriage? rofl

10. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

11. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

I think we are actually at a time of peace like never seen before. We come from thousands of years of empires and hundreds of years of small conflicts. In the 16th and 17th century countries would go in and out of war like it was nothing. European powers met up and divided the country into areas - based on what country was allowed to conquer what area.

We're at a time where the civilized world just doesn't want to fight. All major world powers want to avoid wars with one another. The world is more interconnected than ever. If any of the major powers went to war it would cause so much chaos within the country that it just isn't feasible. Never have there been so many people and such divided power. Never before have morals been an important part of the most power countries on the planet. Every world leader knows the problems that came out of alliances and letting dictators conquer countries that don't matter to you.

The only world power that is even slightly dangerous is Russia (due mostly to corruption and leaders that grew from the cold war era) but the reasons they lost so much power and influence on the world in the past are still preventing them from ever going back to the way things were.

Respecting other cultures, freedom and the environment has never been so important. International leaders working together on these things has never been so frequent. Way more people died in the 20th century of smallpox (300million) than every single war on the planet in the same century and probably of all time. As many people died in world war 1 as people who died during the influenza epidemic right after. We've already been seeing a greater percentage of the worlds population in peaceful times than in the last few centuries.

To get a country to stop doing something all you have to do is to get the rest of the world to agree to cut them off. It works.

The world is not without problems but the problems we have are not major wars anymore. That era is long over. Wars in the future and these days are going to be against extremism and less developed parts of the world. Africa and Middle East will be the source of most of this. Other disputes will be too small and one sided to even call a war. The real problems of the will stem from creating a sustainable and environmentally friendly society. Worry about how healthy the air you're breathing is because there's no one on the other side of a border who wants you as a slave or dead.

If there's one thing that hasn't changed in the world it's the dooms day prophets. Ancient civilizations believed that the world was at risk of ending unless you sacrificed enough people to the gods. More recent civilizations believed that fiery men on horses would come and end everything. Some people believed that the world would go to hell when we ran out of coal. Some people thought giant comets would come and wipe us out. I have met educated people who actually believed 2012 is the end of the world. News and the internet are a lot more entertaining when they discuss the world turning to chaos or all the bad things that can happen. A part of us sometimes wants it to happen. Some people need something to worry about, need someone to hate and need someone to fight.

We live in the most advanced and peaceful societies to date. Sure, there are regions of the world that are way behind. The Israel-Palestine conflict has no foreseeable end, the middle east is plagued with extremism and North Korea is run by an idiot. The financial crisis was a whole lot of scare for an average and predictable recession and is nothing new (and it's well over btw, lol). Consider the populations of Pakistan and India and the terrorist problem is beyond insignificant. They haven't caught Osama yet but he's hiding in a god damned cave and could be dead. His influence has been diminished to almost nothing and he's no longer the real problem beyond the old fashioned "find waldo and feel good".

It might not reinforce the tone of all the stuff one reads on the internet or hears on the news but we do live in an a great era.

12. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Compared to the overwhelming bulk of human existence, we live in rather peaceful and prosperous times. Before the mid-20th century, true democracies barely existed. Most of the world is still poor, oppressed, and violent, but it is a far smaller proportion than in any previous era in history. And while our capacity to wreak massive death and destruction is unprecedented, so is our ability to do a lot of good.

13. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

Great post!! I dont think there will be a World War 3 , per se, but if there is I can only see Iran initiating it.

Don't get me wrong, Kim Jong il is totally batshit crazy and may try something, but nothing along the lines of a world war as NK has no friends and could be wiped off the face of the map with ease. In most of the conflicts OP mentioned, like between India and Pakistan, I think smarter heads will prevail and they will know better....

If and when Iran gets ahold of nuclear weapons and bomb Israel, the US will have to side with Israel...not pretty. But it have to happen soon because the younger, wiser generation is going to take over there.

The whole scenerio isn't likely, but could happen with that hateful Mullah regime in power. Just my opinion... :IrishDoll:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2010
  14. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I meant a combination of our soil and conscription.

Napoleon never bothered to see it through but in a sense I guess southern england would have build up defences in preparation for invasion, even still that would have been something like only 40 years after the Jacobite rebellion?

I guess the main thing is that come the first world war no one alive in Britain would have known anything of invasion and anything other than peace on the island. Generations and tens of millions merely read about the armys exploits in newspapers. Then all of a sudden you have millions conscripted and Zeppelins flying above.

Although nearly everyone probably had someone in their family who had/was serving somewhere in the Empire. Cant say that now, I dont know any soldiers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2010
  15. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Their wont be a war over oil simply because the Western Nations of the world are capable of transferring all their power needs to Nuclear stations when the oil shortages become to crippling. No one will object to waste silos when its the difference between cold and hot water from the tap.
    Beyond that all over nations on earth lack the ability to fight a conventional war against the US, the EU, Russia, China or any comination of the two.

16. Mystic

Mystic Well-Known Member

Given the world seems to run on oil, wait until the supply begins to dry up, economies collapse, markets crash, poverty becomes widespread, famine spreads and then wait for the big flash in the sky.

17. Edgar Roni Figaro

Edgar Roni Figaro Well-Known Member

You bring up some good points however I have to disagree with you on a few things. First the idea that the modern world is civilized and therefore less likely to go to war just isn't true. Yes the world may be connected more now than ever before but all that means is when a few nations economies fail the whole world economy fails. This is how a 3rd world war could be easily started.

The capitalist system cannot sustain itself indefinitely. The very fact that due to interest and the fact that banks loan money out that technically does not even exist means there is more debt in the system then there is capital. The result of this is that over time the debt will continue to grow and can never be reduced to 0. Today the US is paying 20% of it's GDP to the interest on the national debt. By 2019 it is estimated they will be paying 79%.

When you take into account that the government had been borrowing from the social security funds to pay for its own debt and the fact that the largest generation in America is about to retire and call those funds in to pay for its retirement you are looking at a taxation crisis which my generation will be unable to sustain. That combined with the fact that the burden to pay the interest on the national debt is slowly swallowing up the entire GDP of the United States means that our capitalist system IS going to self destruct.

If at any time in the next 20 years China calls on the US to repay its debt to China, the US will be forced to default on the loans from China resulting in the destabilization of the US currency and the systematic collapse of all major stock markets in the world. Even if China does not call on the US to pay its debts off the fact that the US is being swallowed up merely by the interest of its debt and not even the debt itself spells the destruction of the dollar in the near future.

As for the world being civilized, I believe history will look back on us and laugh at the absurdity of us calling ourselves the civilized world. There were excuses for the way mankind treated each other before the advent of modern technology. Starvation due to crop failure, disease, war for basic human resources, these things had to happen the world simply didn't have enough to go around.

But today we have abundant food, enough to feed the world. But the world throws away thousands of tons of food every year to keep the price of food high enough so that corporations can profit off of it.

We have the technology to cure diseases but pharmaceutical companies refuse to make cures because it isn't profitable to cure diseases that mostly effect poor countries who have no money. So instead they do nothing. For the first time in history we had the capacity to save millions but we chose out of pure greed to let them all die. That is the very definition of uncivilized.

18. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to post this at first, but decided to anyway.

The book is called Planethood:
    http://www.wagingpeace.org/articles/0000/1991_ferencz_planethood.htm

The copy I have is blue. It's 188 pages.

Essentially, what it says is that in order for us to end big wars on this planet we must attain a working world government. Every bomb that drops, every bullet that fires, every person that dies in war, is evidence that we're failing to attain world governance and spending time on killing rather than bonding. He compares the USA before it had unified its states to the world of today. He says we should combine the nations under a single government like we combined the states into 50.

What he doesn't mention, or I fail to remember, is the civil war. Unifying the world may come at a high cost. However, in the long term, it might be the better choice because a unified earth is a much more effective earth.

Some people say that unifying the earth will have negative consequences for diversity. This is probably true. Anything that better connects the world will necessarily slowly eat away at its unique parts until they're buried amongst the common elements. Less diversity means potentially less advances. Diversity is good for invention and innovation. On the other hand, if the earth blows itself up in a global war, diversity is not good. And universally, the human species is probably not alone. The many species in our universe are separate by vast interstellar space. They, upon reflection, are diversified because of isolation. This may not hold true if we one day interconnect the entire universe, but that's probably a ways off for us. I'm not claiming that hasn't already been done, though. We may very well represent the ants in our universe. Every sign of higher intelligence would be just a natural phenomenon to us.

When I was a christian I would have thought that a world government was a sign of the end times. I used to think that a world government is synonymous with the anti-christ and Jesus Christ's return. Now that I"m no longer religious and reject the idea of god, I am open to this and feel it's the appropriate thing to do. Bond. Unify. Survive. Use our collective resources. Give everyone a quality life.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2010
  19. Edgar Roni Figaro

Edgar Roni Figaro Well-Known Member

John I think you will love the ideas of this movement. It gives answers to the questions of how to change the government and the economic system we currently live in which is destroying mankind and how to create a much better world than the one we are living in today.

http://www.thevenusproject.com/

20. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

It is starting with the EU. Give it time and the european parliament will have complete control over law and tax.

It is at the baby stage trying to make all the economys work together and growing slowly.

The Ukraine will be in soon, the Russians will end up giving in within 60 years.

Turkey are already making noises, they will be the route into the middle east.

Morocco will become the doorway to Africa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.