Are we the only species on this planet that commit suicide

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by seithkein, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seithkein

seithkein Well-Known Member

So....... are we or not. Are other animals on this planet fully capable and aware of committing suicide.

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Yes... They don't do it actively, however - but animals have definitely been known to stop eating and wither away and die. I can't imagine it being anything other than a suicidal mindset...

3. shadowheart

shadowheart Well-Known Member

I study agriculture and i know for a fact that animals can suffer from depression. They alienate themselves from the rest of their group/pack, social interactions are reduced, appetite is lost, and movement is minimized.
    Other than starving themselves to death, they are also known to place themselves in harms way. For example, if a predator was around, all the other animals would run for shelter, or prepare to fight....a depressed animal would simply stand and allow itself to be killed.
    so, no. we are not the only species that becomes suicidal.

4. christian_1990

christian_1990 Well-Known Member

all animals do is eat sleep and play........looks like they never get stressed wich is my main problem

5. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

You wouldn't call being chased down by a lion, tiger, or pack of wolves stressful?? Personally I find that it ruins my day.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2009
  6. Pad

Pad Well-Known Member

Yes, I think being a wild animal comes with a lot of anxiety- Have you seen how jumpy animals are when they here a noise?

7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Also, the constant threat of starvation and dehydration kinda suck.

And I think the only reason there's no active suicide among animals is that they don't know how, or can't - a dog can't very well rip out its own throat with its mouth. Apes haven't figured out how to use tools to kill things, they haven't even discovered strangling.

8. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

they're evolving, so one day... who knows... :rolleyes:

9. GeekGurl

GeekGurl Well-Known Member

That's really interesting because I doubt that an animal has the higher processing needed to make the decision I am unhappy therefore I shall end my life. Which suggests that rather than suicide being an active decision it is in fact the default result of no longer fighting to stay alive.

10. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I doubt we're the only species that gets depressed but we're probably one of the very few (if not the only one) that actually knows we can cause our own death and how to do it. Most animals just instinctively know certain things are dangerous but I don't think they really know why. I don't think they really comprehend death. Maybe some of the more intelligent ones do.

11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

More importantly, they're learning. Chimps have tools, sort of... They'll sort it out. They engage in genocide, but they're really, really bad at the killing - they surround another chimp and slap it for about 20 minutes straight, and it'll die 2-3 days later. Strangling seems a feasible choice, and once they figure it out, they'll teach others. Then one of them will discover that sticks are good for hitting... Once they master basic tool use they might imitate humans and then it's a very, very slippery slope.

12. suicidal maniac

suicidal maniac Well-Known Member

Everybody forgot about the whales that beach themselves out?

13. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Interesting thread... I've never heard of animals committing suicide, scientifically... If it occurs in nature, please post sources to it as well.

14. GeekGurl

GeekGurl Well-Known Member

I know there are animals that will kill themselves to protect the rest of the collective, tho i can't think of specific examples right now

-- i suppose bees are pretty obvious

15. suicidal maniac

suicidal maniac Well-Known Member

There are no animals that kill themselves because of the rest of the collective you are watching to much star treck.

16. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

We don't comprehend it either.

17. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

suicidal_maniac, she produced a specific example of honeybees! They die when they sting, they sting to protect the colony.

18. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

when I worked in a pet store, it wasnt uncommon for 2 birds to be living together in a cage, then one of the birds would get sold, then a few days later the other bird would die from not eating

19. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I think they can comprehend death, I get the feeling my dog knew it was his time to go when I took him to the vets office

we are all animals really, we are just screwed up with our culture, our egos, drugs, psychiatry, religion and everything else that we ignore our primal instincts

animals are really smarter then us in a way that they are in touch with their primal instincts, we are all screwed up and fucked up, humanity will be so much better hundreds of years from now

20. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Hey Feared Desire! Your icon rulezz. Best laugh I had all nite!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.