Are You A Perfectionist?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by boo, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Perfectionism can seem like a positive thing, but it can actually be crippling, adding stress to your life and actually detracting from your productivity. Do you have perfectionistic tendencies? High achievers tend to have equally high esteem, not so with perfectionists. They tend to be very self critical and unhappy and suffer from low self-esteem. They can also be lonely or isolated, as their critical nature and rigidity can push others away as well. This can lead to lower self-esteem.
    Because a less than perfect performance is so painful and scary to perfectionists, they tend to take constructive criticism defensively, while high achievers can see criticism as valuable information to help their future performance.

Are You A Perfectionist?
  2. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

3. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

Yes, I am.
  4. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Nope, not even close!
  5. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

My therapist, teachers and family think so. I think they're probably right but it's never been brought up in a positive way.
  6. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I used to be. It was maddening because it made life so overwhelming. I opted for proficient. I tell my kids "practices makes proficient."
  7. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

With writing assignments etc, then yes. Or as close as I can be.
  8. sammakko

sammakko Banned Member

9. Vagrant

Vagrant Account Closed

10. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I use to be years ago.. Now I lack motivation to even accomplish the easiest of things..So I guess my anser is no..
  11. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

Yes I used to be really bad but my meds help dampen a little...
    My son was also a perfectionist and was very hard on himself right to the end...
  12. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

oh was worse when I was a child, I was thought that I should always be perfect and be wrong or make a mistake was so badly seen in my family...but now Ive worked on that...I do accept critism and know that we all makes mistakes, that's what helps us understand and change...

still sometimes I do fall under old patterns...
  13. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

Somewhat. E.g regarding my grades.
  14. Vangelis

Vangelis Well-Known Member

In my working field, I am...but when I'm at home I'm very laidback and carefree. The more perfectionist I am while working the more profit I bring in.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.