Are You Afraid To Be Labelled Crazy If You Go For Therapy?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by boo, Nov 5, 2009.

?

Are You Afraid To Be Labelled Crazy If You Go For Therapy?

1. Yes, It Is My Biggest Fear.

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. Yes, It Stands In The Way Of My Getting Treatment.

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. No.

18 vote(s)
    34.0%
  4. Not Really.....

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. Yes, It Is An Issue.

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  6. Yes, But It's Not A Barrier.

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. I'm Not Scared. I Feel Ashamed.

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  8. The crazier the merier.

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Not everyone likes to open themself up. We all fear to be criticized and judged.
    Maybe thats what keeps us from getting the help we need? Tell us what you think.

2. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

yes Iam afraid of that :nerves:

3. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

'Normal' people get therapy, and your shrink will have no doubt heard it all before, so it's definitely not something to worry about.

4. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

It takes time to get to know a therapist. Let them talk about their method, ask them questions. Not all therapist are created equal. Start with the small stuff if you are new to seeing a therapist.

Some therapists are idiots. If they belittle you in anyway, tell them and if they get defensive with you, you can fire them. I'm not talking about discomfort about issues because you're going to experience some of that. I'm talking about the therapist should have respect for you as a patient.

Now remember, a therapist is a human too, we don't know what their circumstance is. Sometimes it a certain therapist that cannot work with us. :sigh:

5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Ah that's their job. They've heard it all before. What do I have to lose by being open to a therapist?

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Nope! I've already labelled myself as crazy :unsure:

By crazy,I mean not normal. What is normal anyway?!

7. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

Mildly afraid, but not because the therapist might laugh at me or anything like that. Rather, I'm actually terrified of involuntary commitment; the feeling that if I'm perceived as being a little too crazy, or the wrong type of crazy, they're gonna lock me up, throw away the key, and pump me full of drugs because they assume they know what's best for me.

I know it's more complicated (and less nightmarish) than that in reality, but subconsciously I've got this weird paranoia about accidentally saying the wrong thing and getting myself put away for my own safety.

On a more realistic level, no, I'm not afraid that a counselor or therapist is gonna think I'm weird or messed up in the head; in fact, the whole reason I go to counseling in the first place is because it's an opportunity to open up and discuss my craziness with someone other than my head-voices. ;)

8. raincloud

raincloud Well-Known Member

I'm afraid of getting locked up, too. If I said everything that was really going through my head, I would probably be locked up.

I'm not afraid of going for therapy, but I'm afraid to tell friends that I'm going. I guess I *am* afraid that my friends will think I'm crazy, but I'm not scared if a professional "labels" me. After all, I'm clearly a bit "off."

9. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

yeah...im not scared that bad from therapy...im fraid of people...they dont have morsy...people are so judjmental...if i go to therpy, they will treat me so much worse than now...ill be dead

10. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

Nope, I'm way beyond crazy by now anyway

11. kemistry

kemistry Well-Known Member

you are using a service to get yourself better, do it for yourself not others, so what is there to be afraid of? I mean, if people talk then that's their problem not yours, you can't help it if they're that hollow. Making fun or rejoicing over another's suffering is pathetic, I don't see any reason to waste our energy on such people.

12. suicider628

suicider628 Well-Known Member

if we all think that, then how the heck are people suppose to NOT go crazy. Therapy are suppose to keep u from going crazy.

13. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I think they are more trying to keep it under control. I dont think mental illness can be totally cure.

14. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Crazier the better. But it's no one's business but my own if I do seek help for mental health - if they choose to judge me for it... One fellow's signature here quotes Dr Seuss: "Those who mind do not matter and those who matter do not mind"

15. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

Nor because you're in therapy you're crazy. .... out of psychopaths killer, I don't know anyone who's really "sick". So no. I'm what I am.

16. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I voted no. I started seeing a psychiatrist 18 years ago and people were far more likely to point the figure at you, whereas now, I find people far more accepting. So what if you have a few loose marbles.

17. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

That's a good point. Times have changed, and people are far more understanding and accepting of mental illness now than in the past. It's no longer shameful or socially dangerous to admit that you've been seeing a therapist and getting help.

18. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I was ashamed of having to see a psychologist but now realize it is not just for people with mental illness but for people struggling in life in general as well.
    Myself will never to to see a psychiatrist because that is saying something is wrong with me and no i will never be labelled by anyone.

19. plates

plates Well-Known Member

nope...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.