Are you an Atheist?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Winslow, May 31, 2016.

1. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

Don't know whether I can label myself as an Atheist or not, but sometimes the idea of God drives me up the wall, exasperates me so much, because I see so much in this world that doesn't make any sense in light of God having to be an All-Wise Being.

At the outset, I have to admit that even God would allow Evil to exist because God, in his fairness, would allow free-will to us humans. So of course with free-will comes the choice and decision among some people to do Evil. In that realization, I accept the existence of Evil, and why God would allow it.

But what doesn't make any sense to me is why God allows tsunami's and earthquakes which kill thousands of people, which of course includes numerous children and babies. Surely, those babies were innocent, so why did God allow that? Either he's helpless to save them (which is Unlikely because he's All-powerful) or (2) he can save them but refuses to do so? If so, why?

These questions about God are important to me because this Suicide Forum has to do with human-suffering, human-misery, so the idea of God certainly underlines it all.

Much as I appreciate Christianity, I see so many contradictions in the Bible, but I better not list them here because I don't want this to deteriorate into a Religious argument. At this point, I concentrate on Buddhism because Buddhism emphasizes how to discipline our emotions in order to attain peace of mind, serenity. And serenity is the purpose of SF.

Because when the Buddhist Dalai Lama was asked,"Is there a God?", the Dalai Lama answered "It's not important whether there is a God or not. Instead, what matters is how we treat our fellow men." I wholeheartedly agree.

So my question is, are you an Atheist? Also, what do you think an All-mighty God should do? Remember the points I made earlier about the existence of Evil people and also why devastating earthquakes are allowed. I believe Evil human behavior is Unavoidable because Free-will is necessary but I don't see the need for earthquakes which kill thousands of innocents.

Does Atheism make more sense to you? And what made you finally decide to become Atheist?

Flying Fox likes this.
  2. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

This post has been moved to the 'soapbox'.

3. tropicalisland

tropicalisland tropical island, oh whoa oh whoa

I am an atheist in a sense. I was raised Christian and still hold some of those ideals (particularly some of the teachings of Christ), but I read a lot about other people's beliefs and respect those, too, so long as they aren't infringing on anyone else's life. I think I take quite a lot out of religion but the things I connect to tend to break down to basic "be kind" sort of things and are usually universal anyway.

Brian777 and Witty_Sarcasm like this.
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I would say I am an agnostic more than anything. People have tried to convert me, but I am likely to change my views. I have no problem with religion. I just don't like the way some people interpret it to hold judgemental or hateful viewpoints. But other than that, I respect whatever people decide to believe in.

Brian777 and tropicalisland like this.
  5. Inanimate

Inanimate Well-Known Member

I'm an atheist, in the sense that I lack a belief in gods but don't reject belief in them. If a god or if gods existed, I wouldn't necessarily believe that they're "loving gods," but I guess it depends on how we define loving. I didn't become an atheist; I just always was, whether I was aware of it or not. Atheism, to me, isn't a religion nor a belief system. It's merely lacking a belief in gods but not necessarily disbelieving in them.

Fin.

Witty_Sarcasm likes this.
  6. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

I wonder whether the following could be of interest to you:

'Is There A God?'

With love - Aquarius

* * *​

Brian777 likes this.
  7. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

8. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

I don't think I'm an atheist, although I don't follow any religion. I used to be very involved in a Pentecostal church back in the 1980's and started to question my beliefs after my first wife died from cancer. Not just because of that, I had many questions about my faith that I couldn't just accept, so ended up reading about all sorts of religions.
    Basically, I have to believe in some kind of creator as nothing else makes sense to me. The diversity of life and how everything seems so balanced in the universe, I don't think my brain is big enough to "understand" what this creator is or what the motives of this creator are. But I can't wrap my mind around this all just happening by chance, the whole subject hurts my head. The very fact that the universe is "endless" boggles my mind even scares me if I think about it too much :) So I guess I believe in a creator, why there is so much suffering, I've no idea but I don't have the intelligence to question it.....maybe theres a reason far beyond our comprehension. Interesting subject and good post :)
    Brian

9. GreySand

GreySand Member & Antiquities Friend

Yes..

10. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

don't know if i really didnt why I do swear in gods name but why do I do it?

I do not believe in the bible or any discussions. Those people following the Bible and interpreting someones ranting words is just a time waster just as much as other religions like the talmund or koran devolving in some sense making humanity more stunted than flourishing/diverse. To me those kind of people don't see it but they are bringing hypocrisy to the world with their agenda. How many people were killed in the name of religion? that's evil.

Do I believe that a god exists I don't know still after all thats said and done. When pigs fly maybe I really will.

11. AlexiMarie7

AlexiMarie7 Well-Known Member

I believe in God. I question him (the divine spirit without any gender really), get upset with him, wonder many times if he has forsaken me, and feel alone at times. But then some small things happen; like a dream I had a few nights ago, and a random connection I made on this very forum just last night, and remind me that he is still around. It doesn't take away my problems or my pain, but I know he is still there, and try to cling to it.

It's not just evil, but bad things happen and as a parent you sometimes have to let your children fall, or sometimes things will still happen no matter how much you try to protect them. Cocooning is not the best way to parent, as the child needs to grow strength and learn judgement etc. As I type this it makes a fair amount of sense to me, but I still don't want to feel my pain or feel that it justifies how I feel, even though I can partly see that perhaps it does.

Death is always a hard one to swallow, especially mass deaths from disasters. But that's more if you view death as a total ending or even punishment as opposed to a graduation into another level of spirituality, once you have completed this life cycle as you should. Unfortunately/Fortunately suicide does not generally fit into that category...
    But I don't think of death as the final end.

Long story short (too late?), my faith has been rocked, shaken, disappeared, resurfaced and grown. I believe in God but damn life sure is still hard as heck. To live is to suffer they say, and it is true. I "think" we are supposed to grow and elevate spiritually through the suffering, as in it is a necessary part of the entire life journey. But, just "knowing" or believing that doesn't really make the pain softer. I still find it unbearable many days, but somehow that does not now detract from my belief in God. And I sure hope he is still listening to me.

Faith is weird and challenging :(

Lady Youth, Aquarius123 and Brian777 like this.
  12. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

I believe in God but I'm not sure if it's only one God or if he's even a form at all. I believe that when you die your soul is released and will either go to a higher or lower dimension. It's really up to how you choose to live in this world now, kind of like a test. I think that where we are now might be kind of like a purgatory and I think maybe "Satan" might not be Gods fallen angel but it's more of referring to the evil and temptations of the human mind. So basically we either fall into the evil which would be Satan or we love and try to be the best we can, to ourselves and others. I don't think God can actually help us and make the evil go away from this world. It's all up to ourselves individually and if we choose to be good like what God is or be evil and fall into Satan. It's really hard for me to explain this.

It's like energy, that's why you get those bad vibes with certain people. I think we are all connected and can even communicate with each other through astral projection. That's why when you astral project your soul leaves your body and you're connected by a cord. When you die I think the cord cuts off and you are free. I'm not sure if you are stuck in one dimension or if you just occupy another body and form a new life. I just like to believe in something because it only makes sense to me.

13. I am an atheist. The idea of heaven is somewhat comforting, but on the other side i see god as a sadistic cruel SOB. If there were a god i can see why Lucifer rebelled.

DrownedFishOnFire likes this.
  14. Thauoy

Thauoy Well-Known Member

Everyone is talking about God, but they are talking only from the perspective of Christian philosophy. They should see the concept of God from the perspective of other religions also. Different religions have different view. In Hinduism, BHAGAVAT GITA is the most important scriptures. It is the only scripture in the world which describe and provide answers to all the questions of life clearly - who God is , why he created the world, what is the meaning and purpose of life , why someone is born in a good life while someone is having a life of suffering, how to end the suffering of life , why God is not helping someone who is suffering etc etc. No other scripture provide answers to such questions .

If we have only one life and no rebirth/ reincarnation as stated in Christian philosophy , it doesn't make sense as to why someone is born into a life of suffering and someone is having a good life.
    If there is no rebirth/reincarnation, what do God want to test us by giving only one life and then condemned to hell for eternity if we don't believe in Him. If the Christian philosophy of having only one life is right , then everyone should have equal good life. But why someone is born in a poor family and someone in a rich family if we got only one life and there is no such thing as Karma and Rebirth as stated in Bhavagat Gita.

15. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

I am an atheist, but I like to posit this view, theirs seven billion of now, floating on a rock that in the grand scheme of things is actually less significant than a spec of dust on our planet as we are relative to the universe. What all the major religions across the world though once you remove the pomp and ritual is a basic premise that you need to be good to your fellow man, you could never have been taught any religion but so long as you put helping others long before hurting others you conform to any religion before nitty gritty bullshit like weather you should or shouldn't eat a fucking pig or work on whatever day.

Just be fucking good to the people around you and your already better than any religious preacher that would judge others into his imaginary place of eternal pain because you happened to be raised reading a different centuries old book of gibberish.

Thauoy likes this.
  16. Brittless

Brittless Well-Known Member

I considered atheism but I am really agnostic/deist. I don't believe that humans know even 10% of everything that there is to know, science is always changing, nothing is absolute. Even if we have a part of the answer of one thing, we don't have the full answer. And with that being said, call it whatever you want but for me I know what I feel. That's the thing I'm most sure of in this life right now, and that seems to be a spiritual type of thing.

So I am undecided and I might believe in a spiritual world, but I don't believe in any definite religions.

17. dracolin

dracolin New Member

i would consider myself more so an agnostic
    i like the possibility of a higher power, may not be aware and controlling out human existence, but it may have created it...
    think of it like a black hole or something omniscient and all powerful, it created the universe and everything, but it not aware of what it created, etc

i've always thought religion is just human imagination, and almost like a disease of the mind and soul. I prefer reading into terrance mckenna and alan watts for my understanding of human nature and my role in this vast universe. Without language and such, religion would not be a thing, same as you can imagine fish or other speices do not praise a god or a culture in this way.

18. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Was wondering about why people exlaim that God blessed them etc when someone gets a happy ending after something shitty happens to them like a cancer or surviving a harrow ordeal.

If there was a God or gods why were they cruel to permit the horrible things to happen then swoop in and saves the day. Psychopath of a God/gods whatever damn sential being you guys want to wordship.

19. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

I believe in God. I consider myself a Christian. Although I admit that I do not accept all the biblical teaches. And I do get mad at God. I do not understand how a loving god could allow such misery. But then, I am merely human. And a pretty failed one at that. I just cannot see that this world, this universe, and all the amazing things in it, just happened. Hence the belief in God. My faith wavers a lot though. I hate to admit.

20. moxman

moxman Well-Known Member

I am an atheist, to me the world just make so much more sense. When you remove the blinders religion puts you on you; so you will not think for yourself.

In all honesty, this video played a big role from being a christian to being an atheist. It has some rough language, so please forgive me in advance.

cvb2377, WALLY GASKIN and Frances M like this.