Are you and Alcoholic?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by neverdie, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neverdie

neverdie Guest

Signs and symptoms
    Before treatment or recovery, most people with alcoholism deny that they have a drinking problem. Other indications of alcoholism and alcohol abuse include:

Drinking alone or in secret
    Being unable to limit the amount of alcohol you drink
    Not remembering conversations or commitments, sometimes referred to as "blacking out"
    Making a ritual of having drinks before, with or after dinner and becoming annoyed when this ritual is disturbed or questioned
    Losing interest in activities and hobbies that used to bring pleasure
    Feeling a need or compulsion to drink
    Irritability when your usual drinking time nears, especially if alcohol isn't available
    Keeping alcohol in unlikely places at home, at work or in the car
    Gulping drinks, ordering doubles, becoming intoxicated intentionally to feel good or drinking to feel "normal"
    Having legal problems or problems with relationships, employment or finances
    Building a tolerance to alcohol so that you need an increasing number of drinks to feel alcohol's effects
    Experiencing physical withdrawal symptoms — such as nausea, sweating and shaking — if you don't drink
    People who abuse alcohol may experience many of the same signs and symptoms as people who are dependent on alcohol. However, alcohol abusers don't feel the same compulsion to drink and usually don't experience physical withdrawal symptoms when they don't drink. A dependence on alcohol also creates a tolerance to alcohol and the inability to control your drinking.

If you've ever wondered if your own alcohol consumption crosses the line of abuse or dependence, ask yourself these questions:

Do you need a drink as soon as you get up?
    Do you feel guilty about your drinking?
    Do you think you need to cut back on your alcohol consumption?
    Are you annoyed when other people comment on or criticize your drinking habits?
    If you answered yes to two or more questions, it's likely that you have a problem with alcohol. Even one yes answer may indicate a problem.
  2. neverdie

neverdie Guest

Alcohol addiction — physical dependence on alcohol — occurs gradually as drinking alcohol alters the balance of some chemicals in your brain, such as gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), which inhibits impulsiveness, and glutamate, which excites the nervous system. Alcohol also raises the levels of dopamine in the brain, which is associated with the pleasurable aspects of drinking alcohol. Excessive, long-term drinking can deplete or increase the levels of some of these chemicals, causing your body to crave alcohol to restore good feelings or to avoid negative feelings.

Other factors can lead to excessive drinking that contributes to the addiction process. These include:

Genetics. Certain genetic factors may cause a person to be vulnerable to alcoholism or other addictions.
    Emotional state. High levels of stress, anxiety or emotional pain can lead some people to drink alcohol to block out the turmoil. Certain stress hormones may be associated with alcoholism.
    Psychological factors. Having low-self esteem or depression may make you more likely to abuse alcohol. Having friends or a close partner who drinks regularly — but who may not abuse alcohol — could promote excessive drinking on your part. It may be difficult for you to distance yourself from these "enablers" or at least from their drinking habits.
    Social and cultural factors. The glamorous way that drinking alcohol is portrayed in advertising and in the media may send the message that it's OK to drink excessively.
  3. neverdie

neverdie Guest

Risk Factors

Steady drinking over time can produce a physical dependence on alcohol. Drinking more than 15 drinks a week for men or 12 drinks a week for women increases the risk of developing dependence on alcohol. However, drinking by itself is just one of the risk factors that contribute to alcoholism. Other risk factors include:

Age. People who begin drinking at an early age — by age 16 or earlier — are at a higher risk of alcohol dependence or abuse.
    Genetics. Your genetic makeup may increase your risk of alcohol dependency.
    Sex. Men are more likely to become dependent on or abuse alcohol than are women.
    Family history. The risk of alcoholism is higher for people who had a parent or parents who abused alcohol.
    Emotional disorders. Being severely depressed or having anxiety places you at a greater risk of abusing alcohol. Adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder also may be more likely to become dependent on alcohol.
  4. neverdie

neverdie Guest

When to seek medical advice

Because denial is frequently a characteristic of alcoholism, it's unlikely that people who are dependent on or who abuse alcohol will seek medical treatment on their own. Often it takes family members, friends or co-workers to persuade them to undergo screening for alcoholism or to seek treatment.

If you feel that your drinking is a problem — you feel guilty about your drinking and just can't control it — talk with your doctor about treatment options. Also talk with your doctor if you find that you need a drink first thing in the morning and that you need an increasing amount of alcohol before you start feeling its effects.
  5. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

I get half drunk every night. It helps putting me to sleep. One day I'll probably be an alcoholic. I see no other way.
  6. JustWatchMeChange

JustWatchMeChange Well-Known Member

If you are drinking just for sleep, you should know that drinking helps you fall asleep, but disrupts sleep later. Lunesta or Ambien CR would be better.
  7. gag

gag Well-Known Member

According to this I'm an Alcoholic. That oughtta to great on a resume. :dry:
  8. Forlornspirit

Forlornspirit Well-Known Member

So, it seems I am in fact an alcoholic from what this says. Can't limit it, can go without it, and can't, well... Doing anything period without a nice double of mixed vodka and tequila.

And what I've been told is it helps people fall asleep... Well, I take about a half-bottle of shots in the morning, go to school, and it seems to keep me awake and "content" as possible.
  9. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

I always think of all those important people that were alcoholics as well, like Winston Churchill.
  10. mad hatter

mad hatter Active Member

Re: Are you an Alcoholic?

i am an alcholic
    ive known for years and only since new year have i tried to do anything about it. ive spent the majority of this year not drinking but in the last few weeks ive had several sessions on it.
    when im drunk im the most annoying mother fucker around and i actually hate the drunk version of me he is a real twat who thinks too highly of himself
    hopefully he wont be around for much longer!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.