Are you claustrophobic?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by boo, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Claustrophobia is usually described as a fear of enclosed places. A more accurate description might be "a fear of not having an easy escape route" because for anyone who experiences this phobia this is the predominating feature. You feel a need to be able to get out or get home, quickly.

I used to have these dreams during my childhood right up to the late teen years where i would be trapped in a small dark space and the walls and ceiling would close in on me. I would wake up in a very violent way. I dreamt about these dreams so often that i almost believed it was an omen and that i will someday die crushed by something.
    This fear of enclosed space is now gone somewhat. I don't know if they might return one day.

Are you claustrophobic? Tell us your story.
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

So there I was in the MRI machine thinking, if I try to move, I'm going to freak the fuck out. This was a new feeling. I had never thought myself to be claustrophobic before, but just in case, I took a panic attack pill beforehand. I have no idea how that would have went without taking that. I spent 50 minutes meditating extremely intensely, both for the purpose of relieving anxiety and keeping me still.

Now I know I'm claustrophobic.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think anyone would be claustrophobic in that mri machine I am as well though oh freak out if i cant get out of a tight spot or if i am behind lock door hate it.
  4. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I'm not usually claustrophobic, but the MRI machine did freak me out.
  5. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I see the two definitions as separate phobias...
    My fear of not having an escape route happens ANY time I'm in public. On transit, in an elevator, in a friend's car, on a street packed with pedestrians; I always feel trapped and panic. I've felt that way since I first developed agoraphobia as a young teen.

As for being alone in an enclosed space, I am pretty much terrified of that as well, but there have been occasions when I had to just DEAL with it and meditated instead of worrying about the walls closing in/running out of oxygen, etc. Meditation can only work in a panic situation- for me- if there is silence. It doesn't work when tons of people are around because my hearing is too sensitive and disrupts my attempt to generate more positive energy.

My sister and I were really horrible to eachother as kids; I've said it before. We're good friends now that we're grown but here is one instance that happened when I was a child to put the fear of enclosed spaces into meeee...
    We were camping with our parents; all of the coolers and things were sitting at the end of the dock.
    My sister said: "Hey, climb into the cooler and pop out when dad goes to pick it up-- that'll be funny!"
    I didn't really want to did it, but she crammed me in and closed the lock (one of those old aluminum camping coolers with a latch mechanism)
    A speedboat came into the harbor WAY too fast and created some big waves. The waves tipped the dock over and the cooler I was in, fell in.
    Since the cooler was old and not filled with Styrofoam, it didn't float- it sank.
    I was stuck in the dark- locked in a cooler; cramped, as it filled with water. It felt like I was in it forever, I was sure I was going to die.
    When the cooler fell in, my sister started screaming and our uncle heard her and came running to see what was wrong. He, my dad and pretty much all of the other family members came running and pulled the cooler up and onto the dock. Thankfully ( i guess) I was still alive.
    I don't remember a whole lot other than the feeling that I was going to die, for sure. That was my last moment--- being stuck in a small space; filling with water, unable to breathe.
    That happened when I was 4 or 5, I guess... since it was before my parents split and mom had my brother.

6. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

yes definately claustrophobic...and those MRIs test my meditation skills to the limit...
    I also hate being in a way in way out...and what if it stops halfway ...:Jumpy::faint:
  7. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

Your funny...I worry about that too....half way point freaks me out! I never go in car washes....I almost passed out one time....ran out of the car and waited outside while my sis completed the wash.

I'm clasutrophic even when people are around....their voices, presence or essence.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.