Are you/Do you want to start a new medication or therapy?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Petal, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I have been on SO many psychiatric medications and right now in the process of weaning down however now that my depression has been treated and cured I am still left with agonising anxiety, so I am starting DBT therapy next month (if they can keep their word, it's promised as of now) and well I am wondering have any of you tried DBT with good results/bad results? Please post here!

Also post if you are interested in trying a new medication or starting a new therapy!!! Let's share our experiences!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2015
  2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

The meds I take for anxiety work well, but I may need something for my depression. I might start therapy again, I haven't been there for a few months so if I feel really down then I will book another session.

3. Petal

Hi hun, did therapy help you much, why did you stop going?

As for the depression have you spoke to the doctor about wanting to try something for depression? Just from the top of my head, a lot of people have good success with mitazapine and sertraline. I hope you find one that works for you :)

4. Witty_Sarcasm

I stopped going because I was only going to group therapy. I felt it helped me more, being around other people. But he had to put it on hiatus because he wants more people to join. But I will go back if I feel I really need to. I talked to my doctor about anxiety so I can talk to her about my depression too and see what she says.

5. Petal

Oh. It is fantastic that you have that support system around you. Make the most of it and talk to the doctor about the depression, don't hold back just be honest and they will be able to help, hopefully you can go back to group therapy again. It might help you to be more social. Good luck, my friend :cool:

6. Witty_Sarcasm

I don't really have that support system anymore though. Once group therapy stopped, all my friends cut off contact. But I will still tell my doctor about how I'm feeling the next time I go there.

7. AlleBell

AlleBell Member

I have an appointment to maybe start medication next Tuesday and my anxiety is through the roof. I feel like my friendships are fading away and I feel as though I don't have anyone that I can talk too

8. Petal

How did your appointment go? Hope it went well x

9. AlleBell

AlleBell Member

Its in a week excatly. Im just super stressing out about it

10. Petal

Yay! Best of luck to you. I remember my first appointment with a psych, I was nervous, they will take your details, ask about family history and ask about a thousand questions but you will be fine!! Don't stress out about it, bring someone along with you for support or tell themm you are nervous and they will take things slowly, make them aware you are nervous! Good luck

11. unionfalls

unionfalls Well-Known Member

I did DBT for only 9 weeks last year. I was supposed to be in the program for a year. It was very difficult as they made me take a much harder look at my emotions, triggers, and what I needed to do to help myself. The Emotional Regulation part is the longest of the program and I found it to be most helpful(when I could honestly face my emotions that is). I wish I had stayed the course as this was a very good program for me but my fear won out so I quit going.
    I went to one group therapy meeting a week for 3 hours and 2 therapists meetings a week for an hour each. It is a very structured program with homework to be done each week.
    I recommend taking DBT. I hope you can do this program Petal as it is very helpful.Please stay the course as the program is long (my booklet was180 pages) with about a third of that being worksheets(homework)

12. robroy

robroy Well-Known Member

I had 8 pretty helpfull sessions with a school counselor at my college, but they have a lot of students to service and I was only allowed a limited amount of sessions. I've been putting it off for a while but I finally scheduled an appointment for saturday with a new therapist, wish me luck:)