are you emotionally immature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asking_advice

if you ask me. i think i am. i am in early 20s but i cant handle my emotion properly. im needy most of the time. by reading books about self-esteem, relationship, and career it helps me to act what is right.

im still struggle. i want my emotion to be mature same as my mind. im tired in this situation. sometimes if my immature emotion wins. im become suicidal because i cant see the light at the end of the tunnel. im alive because i know it will pass. im tired in this rollercoaster emotion. :(

can anyone share their experience or give me advice?

aoeu

Practice makes perfect I guess? Except no... I only encountered emotions four years ago when the bipolar began. Encountering emotion for the first time in the form of bipolar is much like wrestling a grizzly the first time you enter the sport.

Any time my bipolar kicks in I'm completely lost.

But I suggest therapy. It'll help but it takes a while.

I'm not personally seeking therapy with regards to emotions because I had my bipolar under control... I guess it's not anymore and now would be a good time to learn how to deal with them. Bleh...

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
People grow and deal with things at different rates and in different ways.

We can't help how we feel, but we can choose how we behave in response to the feelings. It's a skill and can be learned and as aeou said, practice makes perfect.

Highly stressful situations make my emotions more intense and that makes it more difficult to deal with them as gracefully as I would like sometimes. I'm working on it. :)

gakky1

if you ask me. i think i am. i am in early 20s but i cant handle my emotion properly. im needy most of the time. by reading books about self-esteem, relationship, and career it helps me to act what is right.

im still struggle. i want my emotion to be mature same as my mind. im tired in this situation. sometimes if my immature emotion wins. im become suicidal because i cant see the light at the end of the tunnel. im alive because i know it will pass. im tired in this rollercoaster emotion. :(

can anyone share their experience or give me advice?
I sometimes wonder if those self-help books really help long term though, read a few and had a hard time relating to them, big money is in them which is why there are so many.:sad:
Can relate to what you're saying though, on the outside act my age(sometimes) but on the inside still act/feel 20 years younger. By the time I was 16 was a fairly heavy drinker, no doubt then an alcoholic, had a therapist tell me it's common for those who start drinking/drugging at a young age to stop growing emotionally and mature like others would, not sure if it accounts for 100% of my thinking immaturly but think it accounts for many of the problems that have come my way and stuck around.:sleepy:

sunshinesblack

yes and no
think im appropriate acting for my situation and upbringing
have a feeling most people would shit themselves if they where in my place
but yeah defenetly missed out on a lot

sunshinesblack

Practice makes perfect I guess? Except no... I only encountered emotions four years ago when the bipolar began. Encountering emotion for the first time in the form of bipolar is much like wrestling a grizzly the first time you enter the sport.

Any time my bipolar kicks in I'm completely lost.

But I suggest therapy. It'll help but it takes a while.

I'm not personally seeking therapy with regards to emotions because I had my bipolar under control... I guess it's not anymore and now would be a good time to learn how to deal with them. Bleh...
what do you think started your bipolar d?

nolonger

dont think im mentally immature, probly the opposite. but emotionally im all over the place. I dont understand relationships/most social interactions so I avoid them. That doesnt really help but what ever. far as im concerned, something fucked me up a long time ago and I wont be fixed. :|

tweetypie

Antiquities Friend
I think in some cases when we suffer a trauma of some kind we stay locked in that mental age emotionally. Its almost like it stunts our emotional growth. Im definately not my physical age (31) when it comes to that! :IrishDoll:

Aaron

Most people I've ever met and got to know have been emotionally immature in some aspect or another....and I don't think it's a bad thing....I hope I never mature :zombie:...in any way!

I think in some cases when we suffer a trauma of some kind we stay locked in that mental age emotionally. Its almost like it stunts our emotional growth. Im definately not my physical age (31) when it comes to that! :IrishDoll:
I think this is definitely true, especially if that trauma disrupts one's family life. My parents basically never functioned as real parents when I was growing up because they were too wrapped up in their own crappy marriage and my mom was so depressed all the concern was for her. Basically to this day I feel like I had to teach myself everything about acting like an adult and having a career because I had nobody who was together enough to guide me. One thing I can't teach myself, though, is how my emotions should be.

It's like we need other people and healthy social/family situations for that part to thrive, as though our minds and bodies focus solely on survival rather than actualization when we undergo life stress.

Everyone I know of tells me that I'm immature which is kinda hurtful.
I can't handle my emotions and thoughts very well so I easily get depressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00