Are you ever uncomfortable when...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by SaraRose, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

...people talk about depression? Like today at work a couple of people were talking to a girl that was talking about the depression she's been going through, but was too scared for anti-depressants. Granted it was good to talk to her about it. But at the same time I got really uncomfortable.

I always get really uncomfortable when people talk about depression or anything like that. Even if they aren't talking to me I get nervous and feel my heart race and I get really nervous that I'm gonna say the wrong thing and admit that I've been really depressed lately or something. Even though I wasn't the main focus, or any focus, I was still feeling weird because of the talking.

Does anyone else experience that when just a general discussion contains something like that?

2. RonPSH

RonPSH Banned Member

It may be because the person may become clingy and think that your compassion is their happiness?

And may be that at some point the person's mind closes up and you know what you know but there seems to be a wall between the two of you? Like they are depressed yet talk like they know it all?

3. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I don't get uncomfortable talking about it.. After five years of therapy I learned that I have nothing to be ashamed of..It takes time and working with a therapist to reach this stage in your life..

4. detest

detest Banned Member

TBH, I get pissed when people talk about how pathetic and unworthy they are of living and that they want to kill themselves, then you ask what's got them down and they say something so miniscule like girlfriend troubles. Pfffft. Yeah, you are unworthy of living if you're contemplating suicide because of something like that.

Try spending a night getting through my nightmares, then you'll understand what being unworthy of life really is.

5. SaraRose

I agree. One girl that I was at school with would do petty stuff like that. Like one day she decided that she wanted to die, when I asked her why she told me "My grandma was supposed to give me a new blanket for my birthday but it's going to be a week late. I can't go on living now!" I was just dumbfounded.

6. RonPSH

RonPSH Banned Member

Would anyone want to die if this world was welcoming and not judgmental?

Would anyone want to die if we worked together to help each other make life easier instead of fight each other and with ourselves, making life harder?

7. SaraRose

I really really hope to get to that point in my life. I've found I mainly don't want people to look at me differently. I've found that happens a lot, when I was at school there was one semester of psych that we were asked if we ever had to deal with a mental problem. It was voluntary and after a couple of people I decided that- hey it's a small class, we always joke and hang out, why not tell!- so I explained how I still deal with depression. It was like right after I said that I noticed that the people that used to talk and joke as if nothing was wrong was suddenly treating me like I could break if they said the wrong word.

That was when I decided never again would I let others know.

8. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I feel uncomfortable when people have negative things to say about those who have mental illnesses. My mom told a relative about my sister's suicide attempt, and she said "Oh we have some of those there" in a really condescending way (she works at a mental health place). It's like, obviously she is not a very compassionate person and should find a new line of work.

9. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

That's just horrible! I'd think that if I was ever admitted into a mental hospital or similar place, it would be full of people who are nothing but compassionate towards those who suffer from mental illness. What a damn shame if you go to a place of support and find people there who aren't really supportive at all. In her defense, perhaps she has become cynical and jaded working in such a place, which really can't be all that fun. You may go in full of optimism and hope to help out people, but all the patient's negative moods may eventually affect you negatively as well. I really do feel for people like doctors, nurses, social workers, etc. who have to deal with abuse, death, sickness, all these negative things on a daily basis.

Oh, I and I'm sure many people here completely feel what you are talking about. I just get so dismayed and shocked when I hear of many people that committed suicide that had far better lives than I ever will. They had a great job, had many friends, a beautiful girlfriend or wife and kids, etc. Then I just keep wondering what caused them to go ahead and take their own life. I just cannot comprehend it!
    I am lacking so much of what these people had and yet I am still here, miserably chugging along until I muster up the courage to finally take my life. Sigh....how strange.....

But I'm sure they had some inner demons they hid very well and everyone copes differently to different situations and causes of pain. One person may commit suicide after having his girlfriend break up with him and another person will just shrug it off.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2012
  10. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Sorry, I made a dual post by mistake. Mods, please delete!

11. Witty_Sarcasm

True, but I think the relative in question is just not a very good person. Most of the things she says and does have led me to feel that way. I don't think people should work with people with mental illness if they don't even have the least bit of empathy.

12. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree and it makes me upset. I have to wonder how did she get hired in such a place in the beginning and why she hasn't been let go yet? There's already so many cruel and insensitive people in the world in regards to treating us with mental illnesses. I want to go to a mental hospital as a refuge from them and find safe harbor, not the exact same people again! :eek:hmy:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2012
  13. Witty_Sarcasm

I don't know why she works at all...honestly she is very rich and doesn't need the job. Especially if she is just going to treat people like that.

14. detest

detest Banned Member

I just find it so disconcerting that, as you said, barring a few tiny problems here and there, these people have a picture-perfect existence in comparison with the troubles that I worry over day after day, as I'm sure you feel to.

15. lifeless84

lifeless84 Well-Known Member

Recently, I had a very unpleasant situation at work. We had to fill in a kind of survey, or whatever it is called, about our "mental condition". We were asked questions like if we suffer depression, or have ever suffered. If we suffer/suffered any of the disorders, if we are taking meds, if we have suicidal thoughts or if we ever attempted one, etc. Worst of all, was the way we had to do it. It was not anonymous. We were all gathered in a room and had to fill it at the same time, so that you could see what others were marking. Of course, while filling it in, all other ppl where having great time joking about ppl needing help, suffering from disorders and suiciders. All I wished about, was to be gone from there asap

16. SaraRose

Oh wow. That would have killed me to have to fill that out. It's so wrong, especially if it wasn't anonymous. If it had been in private then I could have argued why they did it- perhaps to see how to help their employees. But to be grouped into a room like that and having to fill it out. That's a violation of HIPPA, or it should be for sure! Geeze!

17. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

I knew someone who worked with people who had been sexually abused as children, and she had this really odd sense of humor because it was the only way to prevent herself from going insane. Therapists have a lot to deal with and if they took everything seriously and didn't maintain a sense of professional distance then they would end up being crushed or pulled in, and then they wouldn't be able to help anyone.

I'm not saying that that's what happened here, it's just an idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.