Are You Open About Your Depression Or Attempt To Hide It?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by boo, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Do you open yourself when someone is asking you or do you hide about it? I hide about it but always do leave a subtle hint of the way i feel.

2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

If asked I am open as I view it as a chance to connect and perhaps help each other but mostly I put on the "mask"/act.

3. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

In real life i hide it, on here i try to show it, but it can be difficult to remove my 'mask'

4. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I hide it, not so much from here but with my family & friends I do. Everytime I talk it seems to get worse for me :dunno:.

5. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

I see no reason to hide it....... Other than making other ppl sad.

In which case I will act till they are gone. But I think it is helpful to be honest.

6. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I agree, but sometimes the longer you leave it the harder it gets.

7. coffee

coffee Well-Known Member

I hide it for sure. I only talk to my best friends and family about my mental health issues. I don't want to brag about my depression. ppl will definitely judge me with that title for sure. + not everyone needs to know.

8. jhhop

jhhop Well-Known Member

I hide it. If I let on about it I'd get committed.

9. boo

boo Well-Known Member

That's what happened to me. I told people about my problems and they got a court order up my ass

10. Autumn01

Autumn01 Well-Known Member

It depends who I'm talking too.
    Most people that know me know that I am depressed though.

11. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I'm open about depression but I don't go on and on with details to other people about my life. I use to facilitate a grass roots depression support group and I think that is what allows me to be open about depression.

There are many times I wear my mask. Mostly because I don't want attention when I not doing well. When I get bad, I'll say so, and let others know I need some space. Then I'll go get some extra sleep.

One place to not say much is at work. That's one place where it can hurt you, in the pocket book.

Even since my suicide attempt, I don't give a rats ass what other people think of me.

12. Emptysoul

Emptysoul Well-Known Member

my best friends know about my problems but normally i just hide it

13. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

Sometimes family members ask me "How are you doing" but it really feels like the greeting instead of a real concern so I fake it. I think I've given a few hints of how suicidal I am but I dont think people really caught it.

14. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I tell anyone. It's no big deal I feel like.

15. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

I make no attempt to hide it. On the other hand, I've always been pretty quiet, aloof, and prone to sudden bursts of tears, so from the outside it might be hard to tell that anything's changed.

16. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

I tend to internalize it but I do share with people that I can trust...im very good at acting all happy....

17. privatename

privatename Well-Known Member

I'm exactly the same.

18. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

No no no nonononono

19. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

i am very open to others about the fact that i do have disabling depression, but it's rare i share when that strikes with people here in my non-online life.

20. AfterFact

AfterFact Well-Known Member

Partially hide it, I make it less servere than it really is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.