Are you over protective of your friends?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by absolution, Jul 4, 2010.

Are you over protective of your friends?

1. Oh yes...

5 vote(s)
  2. not really, no...

3 vote(s)
  3. At times if they cant defend themselves for some reason...

5 vote(s)
  4. Im protective but no OVERLY so...

5 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Do you see yourself as being over protective of your close friends?? :unsure:
    I know i am....and sometimes it can end badly.

Just want to know what you guys think...
  2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Do you mean smothering? Or over protective when it came to defending them if someone was hurting them? Or do you mean over protective as in- if they were doing something abhorrent, you'd still support them to the last breath?
    Or do you mean if they were feeling on edge, you'd feel you have to save them, while sacrificing/hurting yourself?
  3. Failure_By_Design

Failure_By_Design Account Closed

My guy friends are very protective of me. They have openly said they want to meet anyone I think about dating so they can approve. Also, if I get hit on, and they are around they will do everything in their power to make sure the guy doesn't try anything. So, I'm not overly protective, but I'm over protected.
  4. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

I mean everything you just said and more lol....its really an open ended question isnt it? O_O
  5. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Well thats good that you have such close friends that they want to do that for you :hug:
  6. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I'm not.

Overbearing people are pretty high on the creepometer for me so I don't do it to others in consideration of that.
  7. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

:laugh: Creepometer? hahaha
  8. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

yes i am, I'm more protective of my friends than i would be of my family at times. I see friends as life long commitments, and people you would do anything for, otherwise why are you friends with them?
    Just my opinion
  9. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

I'd say i'm protective but not really overy protective (admittedly sometimes i have been) I'm only really protective of my very close friends, out of all my friends theres probably about 5 of them that i'm really protective of (2 in particular) and i have a few friends who are VERY protective of me.
  10. Failure_By_Design

Failure_By_Design Account Closed

While it's nice, It just makes me lie to them more, just so I can try to make my own decisions. Also, I've always been a rebel I guess haha, if I'm told not to do something i wanna do it even more.
  11. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Me too hahah :biggrin:
  12. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say i am over protective. But very protective, yes.

At the end of the day, there is only so much you can do to protect anyway.
  13. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I only have a couple of friends in real life and they live thousands of miles away.. But i support them 100%..If I had the money I would be there for them anytime they needed me..
  14. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Not overly protective, but very protective. I don't have very many true friends and those I have mean a lot, of course I want them the best
  15. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Those I care for I am yes sorry I cannot help it, mess with my friends and you will hear from me. LOL I sound well hard there don't I anyone would think I was hard, I really am not. I just do not like people upsetting those I care about:mellow:
  16. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I'm protective of my friends, and family too I suppose, but I wouldn't say I'm overly protective (or maybe I'm kidding myself). If I commit myself to someone as a friend then I will do anything I can to make them happy, often at the risk and detriment of my own happiness. As a result, it is devastating when they abandon me, which invariably happens.

My best friend has recently become particularly protective of me, possibly overly so, and while I recognise that this is probably not a good thing, it's so nice to have someone actually care about me as much as I care about them.

17. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I think blind loyalty to anyone/anything is dangerous. I suppose this is why I don't have any close friends and might put people off getting close to me, because I am clear: if you're annoying me/triggering me/talking out of your arse or crossing the line with other people- I will leave, or tell you what's going on- see about any resolution- if there is none, I will go. It's simple as. Being a cowardly liar when it comes to relationships is something that causes me so much distress I start getting suicidal even being in the relationship for long- I'm not joking. That's why, I feel better off on my own. When it comes to my family tho' things get messy for me, and I'm sorting that out. :smile:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.