Are you pro choice?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by touglytobeloved, Jul 2, 2009.

?

Are you pro choice?

1. YES - everyone has a right to die, and to choose between life or death

71.7%
  2. YES - only terminally ill

11.3%
  3. NO

7.5%
  4. I dont know

9.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

I know many here are suicidal, but the site is not pro choice. I want to ask members if they are pro choice, also, admins, moderators... everyone who will read this thread.

I have added a poll, if you dont want to bother writing, but explanation of your choice would be apreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

EDIT: Misunderstood the question.

I really don't know lol! I'm half way inbetween.:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  3. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

I thought this was gonna be about abortion. Either way, I'm pro-choice.

4. touglytobeloved

YES - everyone has a right to die, and to choose between life or death

Everyone has problems, and sometimes we cant cope with them. If we dont see a point in life, and just waiting the time to pass, and if we are in any kind of pain (emotional, physical), then we should have a right to end it.

I would love to be formed some special clinics where you can peacefully die with OD of some of the drugs recomended by right to die organisations. Probably it would be better to spend few weeks visiting pdocs that will try to explain every options you have in your situation if you continue living, and if after all that counceling you still want to die, a special team of doctors will provide you with waht you need, but the drug you will take alone, so it will be your will to the end, and noone will feel responsible for your death.

5. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I voted for everyone including those not terminally ill, as one can have an incurable condition and be suffering everyday.

6. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

I had to vote no because I don't believe a parent with a young child or children have the right to for just any reason. I know it's hard but they need to stick around for their kids.

7. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I don't know... in some cases yes. In others no. In my case it would be a no, I don't want to hurt my dad.

8. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

i know that i'm the only one who says that it should only be if they're terminally ill, but i really dont know, it just seemed like a good option at the time..

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Definitely pro-choice. And this forum is pro-choice, too - in the "allowed" sense. Everyone here has the right to die and no one here will say anything differently... But most of us also agree that people should be encouraged to live.

10. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

I don't think suicide is a choice. It is something that happens when there are no other options left and the pain of life simply becomes too much. Therefore there is no choice. Nobody should be judged for finding themselves in such a situation. I don't want to commit but I have been so close at times. It's something I fight against every day. I will never choose to lose that fight but I know the possibility of losing is there. I am grateful for this forum as people here have helped me through some of my darkest times and without them I probably wouldn't still be here to write this. Love and peace to everyone.

11. pisces

pisces New Member & Antiquities Friend

I dont know, i have heard all kinds of arguments for and against but right now my brother is planning to carry out his suicide next week and its got my head in bits, its all too close to home for me to take a step back and be rational

12. plates

plates Well-Known Member

depends on what care/treatment can be provided to help life. seeing as it's non existent where i live and my psychiatric ward is a brutal battleground, and i know what it's like to be dying and have no care, i'd be "pro choice" but then again as snowraven says, how much of a choice is suicide? i'm sure it means different things to different people, depending on the state of their health, history, circumstances. maybe some people would feel freedom/peace in killing themselves after a long process- some people would feel that they have no choice whatsoever and it was the only way to stop the pain. my experience is with so called 'pro choice' places out there, ie, my local samaritans, my crisis team (who are supposed to be 'pro life')- they encourage death/self destruction, powerlessness, stereotyping of all MH problems and people who suffer, by their shortsightedness and lack of humanity. i find that laziness, incompetence, inadequacy (and sometimes attempted murder if someone was approaching their services to save their life)rather than any profound "pro choice" ethic.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2009
  13. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I think only if you're terminally ill. Because i think that people who have mental disorders or who have been through some severe trauma can still go on to live happy, normal lives, with the help of therapy and good friends and family, so killing themself is unfair. Meh, just my opinion.

14. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

Let's just say I wouldn't want to hurt my loved ones and i wouldn't want my loved ones to hurt me.

15. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I voted yes, But only if you have exhausted every avenue to keep fighting..I have come close several times with three attempts.. This forum has saved me twice since I have been a member..

16. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Most definitely pro-choice. its your life and you should choose your own path as you see fit.

17. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Lean toward yes and definitely for terminally ill. But I don't think it serves society for every 10 yr old who has a bad day to be able to make that kind of decision. Maybe at 18 after a psych evaluation, if one is found stable enough to make a sound choice with substancial reasons...this angle would require more study, but slightly leaning toward yes.

18. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I voted no. In as much I would have liked to have voted yes. I can't. There are too many people in my life that need me. Especially my kids.

19. touglytobeloved

Well, definitely over 18, i didnt put that in the poll. And most people who dont want to live are over 18. Only rare cases where a child wants to die, and if that happens , its usually under some influence and probably dont really understand what suicide means. And usually its just a bad period when its about 10-15 years old.
    Pro choice - yes, but when the pain and problems are unsolvable and the person have them long enough to be sure that he/she wants to die.

20. touglytobeloved

Too many people need you, ok.
    That is why I said pro choice. So you can choose, and your choosed to live. But the question is, will you support someone else who after all, has decided to die? So, its his choice to die, does he have that right to stop the pain he has?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.