Are you self diagnosed?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by shadowheart, Jun 17, 2012.

?

How were you diagnosed with your disorder?

1. Doctor/Counselor/Therapist

54 vote(s)
    83.1%
  2. Internet/Quiz/Article etc

11 vote(s)
    16.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadowheart

shadowheart Well-Known Member

Talking to people on here, I often find that they say that they have a condition but describe symptoms/behaviors that have no relation to that condition. So I am just wondering how many people have been to a therapist/counselor and received a diagnosis, and how many have filled in an online poll or read about a condition and been diagnosed by a computer or themselves....

2. indigogrl79

indigogrl79 Member

Doctor's here.... that's with an "s"

Online test are for fun and are taken differently.. and can be taken for the minute, it matters so much more "how long you have had these symptoms"_ ect....

3. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed with depression when I was younger. I haven't really been diagnosed since, but also do not claim to know what is wrong with me. It's just as much a guess to me as it would be to you. I've taken online quizzes, and they tend to agree on basic things, but I'd never take them for fact, honestly. I take them with a grain of salt. I'd like a formal, recent diagnosis. But I lack the funds to see a doctor. So, until then, I'll continue not knowing I suppose. All I know is that I had depression 9 years ago and the symptoms of that have only worsened, not gotten better.

ETA: I don't think we are very good at diagnosing ourselves. We often miss things that would be so obvious to others either because we choose to ignore them or because we genuinely don't notice them.

4. aussiegal

aussiegal Well-Known Member

I have seen numerous drs and was in hospital for many months. I found that the drs tended not to label me with anything in their conversations. Admittedly, I never asked either. It wasn't until I needed a certificate for work and a return to work plan that there was a diagnosis written on the paperwork. To be honest, I really should ask about that diagnosis cos the more I read about it, the less likely I feel I fit that criteria! But then, at the end of the day I figure it probably doesn't really matter as long as I am getting support. A label will change nothing.

5. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

I've seen a doctor, came up with the conclusion that I don't suffer from any mental illness, however I believe I have strong symptoms and characteristics of Borderline Personality Disorder. However long before all this, I felt there was something wrong with me, I spent a long time researching on-line about what it is I felt, I eventually came up with the conclusion that I may suffered from a personality disorder but it wasn't until I started watching videos on Youtube of people describing what it's like to live with BDP that I pinpointed exactly what it is I may suffer from. I could relate to everything that was being said. I sometimes do doubt whether I suffer from BDP and perhaps that because I suffer from the symptoms I'm probably just using BDP as excuse for why I suffer from them.

I don't tell people in real life that I believe I suffer from BDP and when I tell people on-line I always say I 'believe' I have it rather than I 'do' have it because I might not have it, my symptoms may just be a coincidence. I find it hard to understand why the doctor told me that I don't suffer from any mental illness, I mean I've attempted to commit suicide on several occasions and my arms are covered in scars, that alone must contribute to some sort of mental illness right? or is it normal for a human to do this?

All I want is an explanation for my behaviour, the doctors don't have one and BDP seems to be the one I can relate to the most.

6. aussiegal

aussiegal Well-Known Member

Brinkofexistence: Completely understand what you mean... I have told my drs on several occasions that I was self harming and was fighting suicidal thoughts daily and they dont seem too concerned. Makes me wonder if its normal to feel this way and I just am a weak person who can't cope.

7. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Self diagnosis is a dangerous game. We may disagree with what our doctors tell us, we have the right to question them and research our illnesses and ask for second opinions, we have the right to do that. However, when we start self diagnosing, we tend to "develop" symptoms of such a disorder and it clouds the correct treatment one should be receiving. Sometimes these online quizzes are helpful, because we can take the results to the doctor to aid in our diagnosis, but it should never be concrete and diagnosis should always be made by a medical professional.

8. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I've been officially diagnosed, by both a licensed psychiatrist and a licensed psychologist, as being clinically depressed. I, however, disagree with that diagnosis. They believed that my depression is the result of a chemical imbalance. Apparently they didn't hear a fucking word I said in all those hours laying on that stupid couch and telling them about all the shit I've gone through in my life. "Oh, you were neglected by your parents, bullied by your peers, and physically and emotionally abused by your stepfather every day for 7 years? Obviously you have a chemical imbalance in your brain." Really??? Oh, sure, because any NORMAL person would be fucking HAPPY after going through all of that, right? Fucking idiots.

Oh, sorry... I suppose that rant probably belongs either in the Soap Box or Let It All Out forums...

9. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

I had some problems when I was about 10 or 11, and saw a psychiatrist regularly and was taking meds-- I don't remember very much about that time in my life, and we don't talk about it anymore… but I was pretty upset and deeply depressed and suicidal and just generally full of fear and anger and self-hate-- but the good news is that I got through it and it's never been as bad as that.

Two years ago I was diagnosed with 'severe social phobia', but it was kind of ridiculous because I just sort of told the guy what was going on and he just told me that it was that… I was extremely stressed out and saying some pretty weird things to all the wrong people, and was just generally really paranoid and couldn't let things go and couldn't really control myself… it did get pretty bad because I had other stuff going on and usually I can handle it best if I don't have other things going on or have to worry about a lot of other people.

Also, I don't think I'm as bad as others and I wouldn't trust the Internet for anything… I remember trying to figure out what kind of rash I had one time and everywhere I went just helped to convince me that I had AIDS.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2012
  10. Brynden

Brynden Well-Known Member

I self-diagnosed my PTSD. Got the diagnosis confirmed when I went through a mental health eval for a state agency that helps people with disabilities get job training and find jobs. Also got told I have Depression NOS.

11. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I can only guess what I have since I'm too afraid to get help. Obviously I have depression if I want to kill myself, but anything else would have to be diagnosed.

12. PJLane

PJLane Well-Known Member

i pretty much diagnosed with depression after doing lots of reading and being depressed for like 4 years straight. i sometimes read things on other disorders and think the sound like i have them, but i try to steer clear of doing that as i think it could be dangerous.
    ive had a therapist tell me i have depression but the hard part is, i dont really believe them or trust them or even think they know what they are talking about sometimes. also i dont tell them everything so i suppose they could never properly diagnose me.

13. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I've been diagnosed with Depression but sometimes wonder if there is more to it than that.

14. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Yeah, same here... I believe I have also suffered from SAD, some form of PTSD, perhaps a mild form of bipolar disorder and/or borderline personality... I do have a fair share of neurotic thoughts and behaviors... I don't believe I was born this way, though, I believe I have developed all of these problems over time. I think I was normal once... but it was so long ago, I can't really remember.

15. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Self diagnosis using the likes of Google or online tests are unhelpful at the best of times. These tests seem to encourage individuals to find a 'label' for themselves, and somehow magically be able to confront the issues before them. Only a qualified mental health professional can give a concrete diagnosis, and even they can sometimes get it wrong. I was originally diagnosed with Schizophrenia only to be re-diagnosed 3 years later with Bipolar. I am somewhat cynical of people who can roll off a whole list of conditions that they suffer from, and wonder if they have actually been diagnosed or whether they somehow think it is cool or chic to have a 'condition'. Too many people use their so called condition/disorder to justify their actions or behaviour, or to explain their shitty lives.

16. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

I just want to add for those who may be reading this and suspect they may have a diagnosable problem but have not yet sought out help for it: there is no harm in going in to a doctor and asking. I know in some countries there is a financial burden associated with this visit, even so, if you do have a mental illness it is in your best interest to explore the options that may be available to you for treatment. This is just as serious as high blood pressure or trouble breathing or sleeping or any of it. You can drive yourself crazy (even more than usual) by trying to self diagnose.

17. Brynden

Brynden Well-Known Member

And I like to point out there are organisations and agencies that do help low-income people with mental illness. I finally got my PTSD officially diagnosed by going through an agency for job training that required me to do a mental eval in order for me to even qualify.

18. Sea Sparkles

Sea Sparkles Well-Known Member

Well put. +1

19. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

I haven't diagnosed myself with anything. I was told I was bipolar before I had any idea.
    I do all the research I can on a disease/disorder that I can after I'm diagnosed, however.

20. RumoursOfMyDemise

RumoursOfMyDemise Well-Known Member

I've never been through a formal diagnosis process, except for high functioning autism/ Asperger's, but the mental health professionals I've seen have confirmed what I believed to be the case. I originally self-diagnosed myself with social anxiety disorder about 4 years ago, and this has since been confirmed by a psychiatrist and the expert who assessed me for Asperger's/ HFA. I've been put on medication for depression and social anxiety, so I can only assume that I've also been diagnosed with depression (I definitely do have it, what with being suicidal for months at a time, displaying most - sometimes all - of the main symptoms). After years of reading extensively on the subject and monitoring my own symptoms and mood, I believe I have both seasonal affective disorder and major depression, but I'm not entirely sure. I recently filled out a 'Seasonal mood pattern questionnaire' which my new psychiatrist looked over, but he didn't say anything with regards to whether I actually have SAD or not, which seemed quite strange to me. I dunno whether he doesn't know or just doesn't want to label me, or what's going on... =/ He barely tells me anything that doesn't sound like it's been regurgitated out of a bio-psychiatry textbook.
    I've also been diagnosed as being on the HFA spectrum, but I don't really trust that diagnosis because of the massive overlap in symptoms between HFA and social anxiety.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.