Are you taken seriously ?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by jjjoooggg2, Jul 5, 2010.

?

Do your family and friends believe that you are suicidal?

1. Yes, they know I'm suicidal.

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. No, they think I'm bluffing.

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjjoooggg2

jjjoooggg2 Well-Known Member

I hope this doesn't trigger anyone.

How many of us feel suicidal. Yet, friends and family don't believe that you really are?

2. jjjoooggg2

I forgot to add one more option. Only my family believes me, not my friends.

3. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

It's not really something i share with my family and only select few friends.

One time i told my mum and she took me to the hospital but that was jsut a disaster so not something i would do again.

I guess, to answer your question, yes they know i get suicidal.

4. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

It depends... Some people that I'm friends with, but not close to have no idea... Some know I have depression, but a lot don't know that I am/was suicidal. They don't know that I used to attempt and a number of them don't know that I used to SH a lot. (Unless they've seen my scars, but most are on my legs that are always covered 99.9% of the time) Some of my family know that I've struggled with being suicidal and with SH, they more or less told me I was stupid and not to do idiotic things, that it was embarrassing. :unsure:

5. ace

ace Well-Known Member

I'd say not really depends who it is,many seem to think it's pretty easy my Dr understands but at the same time doesn't fully of course.I'm trying to basically say no matter what I do or say or anyone does nothing helps at all.They struggle to see this probably because mainly they've never felt like this themselves so it's hard to explain really.

6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Not by my family but yes with my CPN. She's fantastic now she knows what I go through and she's always on her toes, and treats what I'm saying to her with so much seriousness when I say I can't cope.

7. jjjoooggg2

I forgot how exclusive our group is. My hometown is full of depressed people. The economy has always been slower in our town. But I guess most aren't suicidal.

8. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

My friends and family know how i feel, and that i am suicidal, my mum even brought me in and listened to me tell the nurses who were sectioning me about my plans.
    But even after being sectioned, she brought me to my psychiatrist one week, and her comment to me was "if you really feel this way why dont you just jump in the river?"
    And then with my bf, I dont think he takes it too seriously, as i'vwe nearly always given in and told him I'm attempting or have od'd or something and he ends up bringing me to the docs/hospital.
    So idk. i put they dont believe me, but idk

9. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Nope. To my parents my anxiety is apparently 'me being too lazy to leave the house'. My depression 'doesn't even exist'. Suicidal? 'Being over dramatic'.
    Despite having been diagnosed by three therapists.
    My boyfriend understands though and helps a lot.. very thankful to have him.

10. ema

ema Antiquities Friend

I don't tell anybody but my doc. Nobody else knows how to handle it. My husband kind of knows, because he does my meds for me everyday. But, he doesn't ask about it. My doc knows and we deal with it, but I'm not sure how much he understands it intrudes on my life. We've agreed not to send me to the hospital because it doesn't serve me well -- it makes me worse. So, I can call his emergency number if it is really bad. But, I feel guilty doing that. He does worry about that, though. I don't know, I just don't think anybody really undesrtands what it's like, except people here.

11. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I'm not suicidal anymore but I used to be...
    Anyway, I didn't tell anybody, not even my mother, I just made it clear that I was not doing well. When it eventually became unbearable I did tell my parents but they thought I just wanted “attention“ and didn't understand how serious it was until the doctors sectioned me. At first I misunderstood and thought my parents ignored me and that they still thought I was bluffing... But they told me sorry when they realized that my suicidal tendencies were real and my parents have supported me since then

12. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

My friends know but do not believe me only once they took me serious the doctor knows that is about it, I keep most of it to myself. I mean how do you tell someone you think about it everyday?

13. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

Well honestly i dont really talk about it with my friends and family. I have spoken a little bit with my friends but not much. I don't know their opinions on whether they think i am suicidal or not... i think overall yes they beleive me. I don't talk about it at all with my family so i don't know. However last time i was in the pward the dumb psych told my mom that i probably wouldn't actually do it. What a fuck. Though other doctors have said its very possible and despite diagnoses and so on so i dont know i went with the second option though.

14. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Unfortunately for them my family and girlfriend take me very seriously. I have to take my cell phone everywhere with me because they assume the worst if I am not heard from for the better part of a day.

I want to get my conditions back under control and I want them to not have to live in dread.

15. plates

plates Well-Known Member

:hugtackles:

That level of denial shows how much your parents cannot face reality.

16. MadeOfGlass

MadeOfGlass Well-Known Member

My parents don't know that I am, and I would have no idea if they would believe me or not if I told them. As for my friends, two of them know, but they don't really believe me.

17. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Those who know that I'm suicidal clearly don't think that I'm ever going to actually do it, which always makes me want to do it more and hope I can hang around as a ghost to watch their faces when they hear the news.

Mim

18. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

No one knows I feel like killing myself nearly everyday. That I'm sick of nearly everything. I don't like being personal with basicly anyone. My faimly MIGHT take it seriously, but I don't think an awful lot of my friends would. Probly why I don't tell them, because they are the few things I have.

19. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

My family takes me serious.. They don't understand but are supportive.. My sister that I live with only asks that I don't do it in her house..So motel room is it I guess...My only friends are the ones I have made here and they beleive.. I have nothing to hide...I'm not ashamed that I am like this... A life full of shit is my undoing..

20. Cajin32

Cajin32 New Member

Well no one in my family knows that have thoughts of suicide,but I have one friend that knows and he takes me seriously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.