Are you talked out (therapy)?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by onenineteen, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onenineteen

onenineteen Antiquities Friend

I went to see my therapist the other day, after telling the Supreme Psychiatrist Overlord I was uncertain if I wanted to continue it and drop my meds. Well, after the worst SI episode yet I decided it would be best to continue the meds and go back to the office.

I told my therapist that I didn't really want to talk about things and I have so much in my head I can't express it. I have darkness I don't want to tell her. I feel it inside but it's mine. I told her my SI is mine and it's something I can hang on to. I like the scars and it is my projection of my pain. I am tired of talking about this stuff because I know what the problem is yet there is no solution. I'm much older and my thought patterns are too developed.

She says no. I say she's wrong.
  2. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

Your "projection" of your pain.....what does that mean for you? That's a pretty deep statement.....

I did the same ......abruptly ended therapy.....there is no perfect timing to end therapy.....

What kinds of problems do you have, that have no solutions?
  3. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

I think that you just know when the time is right to end therapy. I had a counsellor that I was very attached to and could never envisage a time when I wouldn't need her, and then gradually I realised that I'd reached the end of the road with her. There had been times before I'd stomped out in anger or despair but this was totally different... I took time to think about it and ultimately it felt like the right thing to do. I've never regretted it even though I do occasionally think about her.
  4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

sometimes a good therapist can give you new insights into some of the same old stuff. i'm 42 and i also self-harm. i thought i was unfixable. my therapist helped me challenge some of the beliefs i've carried around since a child. i believe change is possible, for all of us. i say keep trying. you never know when something might change for you.
  5. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

I believe that is true what you said Dazzle and I agree....

Alot of therapists and doctors I've had, were too afriad to CHALLENGE my thinking......those with depression/suicide have developed skewed perceptions and thinking yet they seemed to have failed in this area.

I think that if you can find a confident therapist who will challenge you and not be afraid, will have more of a chance of keeping a patient alive.
  6. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I guess I'm continuing to see my therapist out of complacency and because I've come to view her as a friend and Mother figure so the practical, therapeutic efficacy has become secondary. She hugs me after every session too, very therapeutic though not very professional but then my psychiatrist does it too. I suppose I bring that out in women because I'm underweight and always have a panicked look on my face.

I probably should see a new therapist, someone who would be more challenging and debating on a point by point basis. Life experiences have warped my cognition heavily in the self-hating, pessimistic direction and I suppose I need those notions identified and addressed more effectively.
  7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

:hug: you don't have to tell her. you don't need to do anything you're not comfortable with. your pain is yours, like you say. you might feel like it's the only safety blanket otherwise you might kill yourself? or something deeply personal and there's a risk of this therapist not responding safely to you. i've felt like that with my ED. i completely hear you.

i want to say though, instead of talking about the SI, you can talk about other things. i just get the image of SI being something very core, solid/strong, something very personal and special to you- something you treasure? but there's a lot of stuff around SI that you can talk about, and maybe when you feel ready, the path will open up to talk about your self injury with your therapist. i mean, your self harming isn't the main thing. you are you. a complex person with a history and a consciousness- maybe there are things that are easier to talk about to her.

and talking isn't the only way to communicate. if you feel single words or images easier to get across then you might want to discuss with your therapist other ways of communicating rather than just talking. talking seems to scare you a bit from your post..

as for me being 'talked out' i don't think that will ever happen. you know what, a lot of my therapist sessions are extremely upbeat :biggrin: it's pretty much my therapist and i just having a great time talking about loads of things- and everything i do talk about is linked to my life and what i'm going through.

i hope this post helped. i wish you all the best.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.