Are you unemployed and unoccupied?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Underground, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

I imagine there'll be quite a few, but I'm wondering how many young people here are currently unemployed and unoccupied - as in not working, studying at college/university, or doing anything?

I'm about to turn 19 and I'm in that very situation right now. I've got something lined up for next year, I've applied to do an Access course at college for next year, but for the rest of the academic year I have nothing to do. I've applied for quite a few jobs but received absolutely no reply. :/ I'm considering applying to join the Army in Feb when it'll have been a year since I last self-harmed, but I don't think I'll get in with my history. My parents think I'm attending a mechanical engineering course/apprenticeship, but I withdrew myself from it as it definitely wasn't for me, so I've really just been spending my days in the city centre library or meeting with a friend or something. It feels a bit wrong to lie, but I'd rather this then get kicked out! lol.

How's things for you?
  2. Animosity

Animosity Forum & Chat Buddy

well, I've got a job lined up and im waiting to set up the orientation. I dont start college until january. it's just frustrating not having anything to do. I mean, its nice....but frustrating too.. I babysit occassionally. but the kids are from hell and it makes thing even worse. lol I wish you the best with the job hunt or joining the army if you decide to join. <3
  3. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I'm 21 and not at university anymore because I withdrew due to my social anxiety and other issues. For this same reason I don't feel able to cope with a job, so I currently hang around the house not doing much. I'm starting a Creative Writing course in February with the Open University though, so just drifting around 'til that comes along.

What kinda course is it you're taking? I know you said it's Access, but what does that mean? (I could Google it but I feel it's politer to ask)
  4. Underground

It's a fast-track one year pre uni course for those without A-levels for those aged 19+. It's much cheaper and more efficient than A-levels, as they become really expensive when you're an adult learner. I'm taking the science pathway. I've applied but they don't start interviews etc until around Spring time, still, I'm gonna send another application online soon in case my last handwritten application gets lost, which has happened before. lol.

I was worried about it not being an acceptable qualification for uni, but from reading stuff on The Student Room (the forum), it can get you in anywhere provided you get the right amount of distinctions and have a promising personal statement. I'm hoping to go to uni in either Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Sussex or Kent - all of which are fairly far from home so I can't simply just back out when the going gets tough.

Good luck with the Open Uni course. I am currently doing pretty much that. Sleeping late, getting up late, sending job applications, and going to the library. Although I'm not claiming JSA/benefits or anything, I feel really guilty for some reason.
  5. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I have been for a few months now, but it looks like its about to end quickly. You'd think that's good news, but I don't want to get a job. I've been used to these past few months doing nothing, having no obligations, not forced to do something or face the consequences, having the freedom and basically unlimited free time, etc. But of course, I have the luxury of being able to mooch off of my parents so I don't have to worry about things like rent. I'm not in danger of being kicked out anytime soon, even though I probably should be so I can be toughened up. I'm softer than jello here!

But I won't be able to mooch forever and that's something I don't think I can cope with. I've become too accustomed to sucking on a proverbial teat, I can't imagine being weaned off and feel like the day I am kicked out of the nest, I have to kill myself. I've become too weak and dependent to survive on my own. :(
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
  6. Underground

I can relate. I'm only 18, but I feel too dependent on my parents. My parents still give me support money, so to eat/travel/etc. and I don't pay rent. However, they have threatened to pretty much kick me out if they find out I'm unoccupied, which is why I can't tell them I've left college unless I get a job.

I am weary of the prospect of living away from home and having to support myself, but I suppose when push comes to shove I'll have to get on with it. I do want to be out of home by 21 or so.
  7. Sephaus

Sephaus Well-Known Member

Unemployed indeed, just attending college for my bachelor's right now
  8. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

That sounds promising! I wish you luck with that! Work hard and you'll get there, I'm sure. The self-supporting yourself thing will be a big lifestyle change. You're braver than me to go through with it, but I guess people do it all the time and still survive. ><

Thanks for the luck! I'm hoping it'll all go well so that I go on to do a degree with them in English and Law. Don't feel guilty - you're doing something about your situation, which is more than some can say (like people on JSA that do nothing b/c they're lazy). You're trying to make something of your life! :]
  9. Underground

Just applied for a job at McDonalds on the other side of the city. Eh, it's not exactly glamourous and I realise some people look down on working there but whatever, if I can get it, I'm hoping I can get night/overnight shifts there since its a 24hr McDonalds. That would be so ideal. lol. I've also applied for voluntary work as a First Aider with the British Red Cross.

I admit, although I'm trying to plan things, I'm not exactly enthusiastically launching jobs applications all over the place, I'm being rather complacent atm. I'm looking mainly for jobs where I don't have to phone someone and I can just email my CV or write an online application. The idea of having to phone someone to enquire puts me off, I have a bit of a thing about calling people I don't know, like some sort of anxiety. It's kind of annoying how most jobs are asking for experience, even many jobs which appear to be entry-level and minimum wage (or barely above it), for example a certain warehouse packing job I saw advertised on the Job Centre website asks for people with experience in it.

Anyway, I've heard the Open University is really good if you're good at working long-distance and not a procrastinator. It wouldn't work for me for that reason, probably. lol. What are you gonna do whilst you drift around?
  10. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

Yup and I responded to a plea for volunteers at a horse sanctuary but it would seem I can't give my services away for free. I went out and bought waterproofs,drinks flask,boots but I wasn't wanted on account of my mental health.All the items went in the bin so now I just occupy myself with tv,music,sf and my Stephen King books.
  11. hornbeam

hornbeam Well-Known Member

Why did you BIN the above items?
  12. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

anger,frustration,embarrassment as id told everyone that i would soon be busy mucking out horses and learning to care for them but then i forgot it was me and nothing works out for me.
  13. Lebe

Lebe Well-Known Member

im 16, unemployed been looking for 3 months but nothing :(
  14. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yeah, and I know what I want to do with my life, just don't seem to be motivated enough to follow through :apthy:
  15. Underground

Well, none have still fucking got back to me, even McDs. I had an i/v, but nothing..
    I also had an anxiety attack during an aptitude test and so failed and have to re-apply for college, I've went and applied to a few colleges

I really feel as if i'm going nowhere right now, bleh.
  16. Morbituarty

Morbituarty Well-Known Member

I'm unemployed since april 2008.
  17. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

Finally employed, don't get paid for it as it's a work placement, however people shouldn't be paid for a job this easy, laid back, stress free and fun. Still very much unoccupied though when I'm not working, I'm trying to study for when I start college but damn it's difficult.
  18. Snake

Snake Well-Known Member

24 years old here, I rehearse 3 times a week, sometimes I get paid for the plays I'm in.
    My last paycheck was about $210 for 3 shows, and yes, sometimes I don't get paid for the stuff I do.
  19. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Not sure I am supposed to reply here as I am not young, not unemployed and not otherwise occupoed.
  20. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Well I was unemployed for about 8 months after being laid off from my last job... though I'm not really that young anymore.

You shouldn't feel so bad about being young, unemployed and unoccupied, though. I lived with my parents until I was 23. I worked part time odd jobs and took community college courses for most of that time, but I'd still say that I was pretty much unoccupied as I wasn't consistent with anything. The job market is tough right now, and for the first time in probably ever, a college education is not guaranteed to pay off in the long run. Tuitions have skyrocketed, wages have stagnated, and a lot of career fields have gone overseas or disappeared entirely. There are times when I regret not having finished school, but then there are other times when I consider myself lucky just to have a decent, stable job. I think I'm pretty content not having student loan debt and not having to worry about being "overqualified" for an entry level job, which are about the only kinds of jobs that are readily available these days.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.