Are your family understanding of your illness.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by stinkymouse, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinkymouse

stinkymouse Well-Known Member

MY family are not that understanding,they know ive been to hospital twice for depression,and for an OD...and they dont help.If i dont ring them,they wont ring me,and i didnt get a single invite for dinner or drinks over christmas.
    My parents went to brighton over christmas with my sister and her kids knowing i would be home alone,and none of my cousins bothered to invite me over either,yet if they want anything,they are soon on the phone!!
    If anything this makes my depression,worse cause they take advantage...
    Am i the only one..or are your family helpfull and make you feel better?
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

My family does not make me feel better but worse.
    You're not alone in this.
    That's why I'm glad I have here. It's really all I have that can lift me up at the moment. And this place does lift me up :hug:
    PM me if you ever want to chat :pm:
  3. SpencerA

SpencerA Well-Known Member

i'm really lucky actually, i don't think i'd still be here if my mum hadn't got me all the help and therapy, but i know when i first told her how i was feeling she seemed angry, i think primarily because it was something she felt though it was out of her control, could in some way be her fault, and that somehow she had failed as a parent. if you haven't already seen it i'd suggest watching "girl, interrupted" it helped me alot when i was diagnosed as being bipolar.
  4. hellwithhugewounds

hellwithhugewounds Well-Known Member

My parents are completely clueless as to what's going on. And of course I've never told them. It's' just the way it's gotta be with alot of us here. We put on a happy face to others and suffer all the more because of it.
  5. black orchid

black orchid Well-Known Member

My parents knew nothing at all until i ended up in hospital a couple of weeks ago and even then they just call it attention seeking.
  6. Leiaha

Leiaha Well-Known Member

No! Just the opposite. In march last year i had a nervous breakdown and took a massive od. I was in hospital for 7 weeks. My mum, sisters and my own son all turned against me. They spent the whole time i was in hospital phoning me 2 tell me what an embarrassment i was and that i was faking it! Even when the staff called my mum 2 explain that it was true and they shud stop the calls, they still kept it up. In the end the staff took my mobile away to stop it.
    When i came home they carried on the same calls but now added how sad it was that i really believed i was poorly. :(.
    I didnt speak to them until october this year and they never contacted me. My mum used 2 cross the street if she saw me!
    They wont discuss it at all now, they just pretend it never happened and i have to do the same. I feel all the bad effects coming back now i'm in contact again but its my mum, :(
    My 2 daughters on the other hand were a tower of strength, :).
  7. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Mine... not at all. But they all seem to enjoy adding to the pain.
  8. Smokey

Smokey Member

The last I knew my mother and sister thought of me as little more than an 'oxygen theif' and my brother tells everyone his bro is a 'retard'. As an extra example they 'forgot' to invite me to my grans funeral... So I guess the short answer would be no they aren't.

I don't know why some families are like this but it seems quite common, sigh.
  9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I guess I cannot say I have ever given my family a chance to support me through anything because they don't know anything. Even after being hospitalized I convinced them it was an overreaction by a friend and nothing but a mistake. Some people are afraid that this sickness might rub off on them so if they ignore it or say it isn't real they can't catch it. It is sad that the level of understanding for what we face is so misunderstood.
  10. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

My sister who I live with knows all about me being suicidal and suffering from depression. The rest of my family just ignores it like it will go away. I can't blame them because the last seven times I was in the hospital I hadn't tried suicide, I just didn't feel safe with myself so I went in voluntarily and they kept me until I felt I was past the crisis.
    My brother always tells me that I need to quit this shit and get a job. I would rather quit living than be around people. Even when I am in the hospital I stay in my room so I don't have to try to socialize with anyone. It just totally freaks me out having someone try to carry on a conversation with me.
    I am going back in the hospital after the first. I was going to commit on new years eve but some of my friends here on the forum have persuaded me to go back in. I told them I would try one more time but I am still leaning towards ending the torment I live with on a daily basis. Maybe it will open my families eyes when they find out what is happening with me. Who Knows!!!~Joseph~
  11. Dringer

Dringer Active Member

My family doesn't know honestly. I pretend everything is okay. If I told them, they would make a huge deal out of it and every day would be like "are you okay?" when really, most of the time, I just want to be left alone. Some of my friends know, but they don't talk to my family. They don't really make it better or worse. We just don't discuss it. Which for some reason that I don't know why, I like better.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.