argh :@ i dont want to

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by cownes, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

i so badly want to cut, i cant go for a walk its 00:16 am, im ill so cant exercise, music not helped nither has any other method i can think of helped, friends?? why on earth do they treat u like shit, spread crap about u, then shout at u for not telling them ur deepest darkest secrets :mad: the urge is just way to big, i dont want to but i do, its so confusing :'(
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You just want to release your pain not cause scars that will last forever. Watch a movie read a book take a bath listen to you favorite song Ipod Throw away your tool of choice call crisis and talk to someone always someone to talk too phone Good Samaritans distract distract distract sending you support :love::hugtackles:
  3. elleanne

elleanne Well-Known Member

Have you thought about harm minimisation? It`s another option of "I will never self injure again, where people often put themselves under a huge amount of pressure.Here`s some info about if from What is meant by harm-minimisation?

It is about accepting the need to self harm as a valid method of survival until survival is possible by other means. This does not condone or encourage self-injury, it’s about facing the reality of maximising safety in the event of self-harm. If we are going to harm it is safer to do so with information. Information on basic anatomy, physiology, first aid, wound care, correct usage of dressings and safer ways to harm.

By ‘safer’ self-harm I’m referring to how we injure, what with, where, and minimising the risks. The risks of harming with no information are far greater than the risks of harming with information.

If we have no information we have no choices. Harm minimisation, the act of making injuring as safe as we can, in itself can result in a reduction of the severity or frequency of the harm, or at least help to prevent life or limb threatening damage. It promotes thinking about limiting the damage, attempting compromises with oneself, and prevention where that is possible. It promotes self-management, which is pretty crucial in the area of self-harm because many people do not find appropriate support within NHS services.

For some professionals harm-minimisation is not an acceptable idea to them if their only definition of progress or recovery is total cessation of the harm. I would argue that total cessation is not the only measure of progress; if we do less damage, take better care of ourselves, or feel better about ourselves, that can constitute progress too.

DBT [Dialectical Behaviour Therapy] trainers who have stated that "A happy self-harmer is not progress" is missing the point!

Recovery can mean learning to live with enduring and complex problems and developing a range of coping strategies that don’t exclude self-harm but over time with appropriate psychological and social support [as defined by the individual] can mean that self-harm is not the sole method of coping. This can then lead to cessation.

Harm-minimisation is just one part of the equation; accepting the need to self-harm [self and supporters], developing an explanatory frame of reference to understand the origins, evolution, meanings, functions of our self-harm within the context of our life histories so that finding a range of strategies for survival will reflect our definitions and experiences. Engaging with our distress means that we move from being managed by others to self-management.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.