Artist with a passion.

PaulFW

Hi, I have a FB Page, Talking Art which I set up to communicate with artists.. With my wife we were creating an art and meditation place, nearly finished. We were going to do a combined meditation and creative events, exhibitions and a gallery space. That is all on hold now depending on how the ne next few month go. Depression is seriously hampering my progress but it is a project that at least gives me something to work towards. If I get through it I will work towards helping artists with depression.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Hi Paul, I'm glad you're here. I hope you find the support you're looking for here. Art is a great way to "talk" when you don't want to talk.

Velveteen Bunny

Fellow (albeit amateur) artist here. We artists and creatives love and feel deep and hard. I look to the past, when there were friends who hung out, made art together, had a vision, and then became famous for their break-away styles from the mainstream, not because they were trying to make a name for themselves, but because they believed in their vision and it was important as breathing to make art. We don't do that anymore. It's all about money, making money and pleasing rich clients. Art should be about fun, growth, spending time with our good friends, and if we must make money, only sell to poor people who love our art. I dislike the general attitude of rich, snobby people who thumb their noses at us poor ones, and everything including people are just possessions to be had and thrown away when old and shabby.

Wanted to get that off my chest.

I think if we had people who REALLY GOT US and we could spend a day out in the country-side, painting side-by-side, enjoying nature, each other's company, no demands or expectations, just friendship and acceptance. Think what good that would do to the SOUL.

PaulFW

Fellow (albeit amateur) artist here. We artists and creatives love and feel deep and hard. I look to the past, when there were friends who hung out, made art together, had a vision, and then became famous for their break-away styles from the mainstream, not because they were trying to make a name for themselves, but because they believed in their vision and it was important as breathing to make art. We don't do that anymore. It's all about money, making money and pleasing rich clients. Art should be about fun, growth, spending time with our good friends, and if we must make money, only sell to poor people who love our art. I dislike the general attitude of rich, snobby people who thumb their noses at us poor ones, and everything including people are just possessions to be had and thrown away when old and shabby.

Wanted to get that off my chest.

I think if we had people who REALLY GOT US and we could spend a day out in the country-side, painting side-by-side, enjoying nature, each other's company, no demands or expectations, just friendship and acceptance. Think what good that would do to the SOUL.
I appreciate your passion. I love creating but I find it very difficult in the throes of deep depression. Only when I am out of the depression can I feed off the energy again. Art is about everything and there will always be art that one dislikes and ones that you just love. The reasons for creating are many-fold and the results, intent and reactions will also be varied. Find what you like to do and what you like to see, be open minded and enjoy the parts of life you enjoy.

Velveteen Bunny

I appreciate your passion. I love creating but I find it very difficult in the throes of deep depression. Only when I am out of the depression can I feed off the energy again. Art is about everything and there will always be art that one dislikes and ones that you just love. The reasons for creating are many-fold and the results, intent and reactions will also be varied. Find what you like to do and what you like to see, be open minded and enjoy the parts of life you enjoy.
Thank you, Paul. I also feel it's difficult for me personally to create while I'm depressed. But I recently found that I can mindlessly fill in the colors in adult coloring books, and it does help a bit, makes me feel a little better. I was just thinking though, if you have people in your life -- they don't even have to be artists -- who you can get together with out in nature, have a picnic, set up some painting or drawing things and just do it for fun, not even concentrating on making it look good. The purpose would be to feel better about life. I find that when I go for walks with people I care about out on a nature trail, it uplifts me and I just feel better. I think the same would be accomplished with an art party. I'm not sure if the same could be accomplished if you were alone, because when we get with other people you feel obligated to make the best of it and put on your happy face (even though you're faking it), when you are in the moment you forget about feeling sad. I know because I went on a walk at a local nature trail with my sister who is not an artist, her teenage son and we did have a cathartic afternoon. My 83 year-old mother just passed away in December, and this was before she passed away but she was in the hospital. I have no friends here to go with me, my sister lives far away. The trail is pretty wild and has some dangerous animals, so I can't go alone even though I'd like to. So, I haven't been back there. Walking in my neighborhood isn't the same.

PaulFW

Thank you, Paul. I also feel it's difficult for me personally to create while I'm depressed. But I recently found that I can mindlessly fill in the colors in adult coloring books, and it does help a bit, makes me feel a little better. I was just thinking though, if you have people in your life -- they don't even have to be artists -- who you can get together with out in nature, have a picnic, set up some painting or drawing things and just do it for fun, not even concentrating on making it look good. The purpose would be to feel better about life. I find that when I go for walks with people I care about out on a nature trail, it uplifts me and I just feel better. I think the same would be accomplished with an art party. I'm not sure if the same could be accomplished if you were alone, because when we get with other people you feel obligated to make the best of it and put on your happy face (even though you're faking it), when you are in the moment you forget about feeling sad. I know because I went on a walk at a local nature trail with my sister who is not an artist, her teenage son and we did have a cathartic afternoon. My 83 year-old mother just passed away in December, and this was before she passed away but she was in the hospital. I have no friends here to go with me, my sister lives far away. The trail is pretty wild and has some dangerous animals, so I can't go alone even though I'd like to. So, I haven't been back there. Walking in my neighborhood isn't the same.

Hi, I like your idea. Doing something that is mindless is not useless. It is quite cathartic. Unfortunately I am all alone physically from people so finding something to do with real people is very difficult at the moment so I do mindless things looking at Netflix and things to keep my mind from overthinking in the wrong direction. I am trying to my zoom sessions for people wanting to learn and understand the art they see and love is something I want to do for people suffering from depression. I know it helps me and I learn a lot too. I do have some quite lovely places to walk but I have no transport so I cannot go anywhere further away such as the beach, until I can get some kind of transport.

Hi, My name is Paul, I am an artist, a painter and art educator. I am from the UK but lived in France for a few years and now live in Portugal. I have suffered all my life with depression, self harming and <mod edit - methods> which, thankfully failed. After a period of serious counselling my life calmed down and I met my wife and I had 16 years with only minor depression issues. The best years of my life. My wife died of cancer recently and now I am back with some very deep depression and life issues with strong urges for self harm and suicide.My love of looking at and understanding art has been a big help. I run online Zoom sessions looking at and talking about paintings. It does help me get through.
Welcome @PaulFW .

I hope you have found a lot of good support here. I have two magnets on my refrigerator. ..one says Art Makes The World A More Beautiful Place, and one says I Believe In Art.

I am sorry for your loss, and hope each day finds you feeling better.

Happy New Year!

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00