Asking for ADHD medication?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by r90, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r90

r90 Member

I've been doing a lot of reading on ADHD medication, and despite the ambiguity surrounding it's usefulness (comparisons to speed), I think I could really benefit from taking some form. I've never asked for any medication and haven't even taken a pill in my life, so I'm not really sure where to begin. I assume I should get a "check-up" and bring it up there? I understand that a lot of people lie to get prescribed Adderall (sp?), so is there a good chance that a doctor won't take my claim seriously? Thanks for your help.

2. molotov

molotov Well-Known Member

Hey,

Your mileage may vary but I expect you will need to go to a psychiatrist for testing - I don't think your regular doctor will just prescribe it for you on order, and if he does, you should find a different doctor, heh... I dunno, hopefully if you tell him about your symptoms he can refer you to a good psychiatrist.

Ideally you will want to find someone who specializes in adult ADD and/or learning disabilities.. for me the process (in 2007) was a two-hour interview plus half an hour taking some little computer test that measured my head motions and reactions, but some people have multiple sessions before they reach a diagnosis, and some people even have to go to multiple psychiatrists (the first time I went in for testing was in 1999 at the insistence of one of my professors.. the guy spent 5 minutes with me and told me I was "just charmingly eccentric" and sent me on my way. Great :/ ). Demonstrating that these problems started before the age of 7 is crucial for an ADD diagnosis, so if you have anything that would help there - testimony from parents or teachers, report cards, anything like that - it will make things easier.

If you get diagnosed and decide to go the medication route (some people don't), he'll probably start you on a very small dose to make sure your system can handle it and then you'll work together to find the right dose.. from my own experiences, and anecdata from people I've talked to online, you will probably have a certain amount of freedom after awhile to experiment with your dosage and find out what works for you. Likely if you're in the States you will have a choice of medications, which is cool - I live in Germany where the insurance gods have decided ADD doesn't exist in adults (thanks) so I have to pay out of pocket, and generic Ritalin is the only thing I can afford, booo.

Curious how it goes for you, keep postin'

3. arnoldclab

arnoldclab New Member

I know everyone experiences different side effects from meds and those are few of side effects that can happen. I don't know from experience but its obvious that those are probably the right meds for him poor thing, my daughter is adhd and has been on meds for a year and a half and its frustrating still trying to find the right ones, cause some she doent eat or shes really emotional or just all these emotions ugh its crazy theres gotta be a better way than just being like a ginny pig especially for little one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.