Asking for help

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by smackh2o, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

Ok, it's been a very long time since I wanted to go to the doctors. But fear drove me away. Does anyone know how to beat that mental block of everything going wrong?
    I don't just want to waltz into the clinic and say i'm suicidal, I havent got a clue what will happen to me. They might send me to an insane asylum, which in a way isnt as bad as what I have now but that's another story.
    All past experiences and methods are welcome and appeciated!

2. malek

malek Well-Known Member

Let me tell you my story,

Last year i had a very bad time, i mean i'm always depressed but that was really bad, i had a thought flash through my mind ... only once ... but that was enough. The thought was for me to kill my famly and my self. That flash that lasted less than a second scared me so much that without telling anyone i just upped and left for the hospital.

There i met a doctor and i told him everything, within 20 minutes i had a private doctor with me at all time(in my area there is a serious lack of doctors so in it self this is not ordinary) they talked to me for 2 days straight just learning about me and without judging me. I was signed in the hospital and i stayed for 1 month.

There they explained to me that my thought that scared me was in reality an alarm signal my brain sent me to tell me i needed to do something and fast ... i never told this to anyone for fear of being judged.

This is when i learned i was bipolar, this is where i learned about my condition.

My experience was a good one and i would do it in a heartbeat if the situation arose again.

If you want to seek medical advise i strongly support it. Most of the places wont judge you and they wont send you to an insane asylum ... they cant unless you did a criminal act and ordered there by a judge or if you are under 18 and your family signes you in.

so dont worry, go there and spill your guts you will see it is nice to have a living human being listen to you and genuinly try to help you.

i was and still am beyond help ... but when it gets really dark and stormy i can still fall back on tips and tricks they gave me to get through it.

Malek.

3. willgethere

willgethere Well-Known Member

hi
    I was in a similar situation, but I was absolutely terrified about going to see a dr/gp.
    I was under a counsellor at first and I gradually trusted her. She then suggested that I needed to see gp, but I froze , she offered to come with me and asked if I froze could she speak for me.
    Since then she attended another appointment and also attended a well womens clinic appointment and now I can manage to go to gp's on my own.

What I am really trying to say, take someone who knows the situation you are in and who you trust.
    Also write it all down, it can be overwhelming the first visit at least then you can get the help needed, try and talk through the options you would like to happen with the start to your recovery.

Hope it goes well. I am about if you need to chat.

4. BeenThere

BeenThere Guest

I was absolutely positive i was going to end up in an asylum.I have OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and one night these violent images of me doing harm to my girlfriend sent me straight to emergency.I was so scared that they were going to say "ok we have a special place for you",but at the time it would have been better than dealing with the images.Anyways all they said was "this is normal with OCD" and sent me home with 2 atavan lol.The point is no matter your fears it is always best to see someone about what your going through.To get sent to an asylum/psych ward is for the most extreme circumstances (eg having a psycotic episode,criminally insane,suicide attempt etc).So have stick it out as best you can and take that helping step...it will be worth it trust me :)

5. malek

malek Well-Known Member

Beenthere: our stories seem similar in an odd way.

6. BeenThere

BeenThere Guest

That they do.Terrifying experience to say the least lol.

7. malek

malek Well-Known Member

i never thought that kind of thinking could even enter my brain lets just say i didnt let it simmer.

8. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

Cheers for your advice people. The only other way I thought I could get help was by half arse overdosing so I got real sick and had to be taken there anyway. I gues I just need to toddle along to the clinic and let the shit hit the fan for everyone including me. I'm like a dog, I don't take well to change :S

9. malek

malek Well-Known Member

this shit will never hit the fan until you throw it at the fan.

If it's only you and a doctor and you are talking about your emotions ... the shit will never hit the fan.

Be confident in the fact that they will want to help you anyway they can and that they will not judge you and they will give you a great ear to listen and shoulder to cry on.

But remember THEY WILL NOT JUDGE YOU.

repeat after me: I AM NORMAL, I AM NO DIFFERENT THAN MILLIONS OF PEOPLES, I DESERVE A SECOND CHANCE, I WILL SEEK HELP IF I FEEL I NEED IT, I WILL NOT TOLERATE BEING JUDGED BY ANYONE.

but it is important to relize that they understand what you are going through and will never judge you, they will help you the moment you are ready, so when you are walk up to a doc and simply say i need to talk you will be surprise of what happens when you open up to the right people.

Malek.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.