Asking for help....

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by nolonger, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I thought this would have been the most appropriate section to put this in so here it goes...

I was wondering how to ask for help? With my *undiagnosed* depression and anxiety. The depression is basically ALWAYS there. It never goes away. The anxiety has gotten even worse, I think it's fucked up my eating pattern something bad(I can't seem to eat more then one meal a day...). It also has the chance to take a crap on my school grades with the help of the depression.

I can barely concentrate anymore. The teacher would have explained something 5 minutes ago and I couldn't even remember what it was. It can also be hard for me to read books now, because I'm not really 'reading' what's on the page. My eyes are kinda just looking at the words, and not recognising what I'm doing. So I'll read something and not really know/remember what I was actually reading.

The anxiety has kinda morphed into an all-out fear of a plethora of different things. The biggest thing is stage anxiety/social anxiety. When ever I'm made the 'spot of attention' it makes me feel as though I'm having a heart attack. And it even gets to the point that before school I feel sick because of what might happen during the day. As a result of the general social anxiety, I have virtually no friends, don't have any 'social outtings' per se, haven't been invited/went to a party in over half a decade. So those things can contribute to the depression, which is like pouring petrol onto a flaming pile of suicidal thoughts. I've been close to attempting twice, and have self harmed previously(haven't for a while).

The eating problems have also affected my sleep routine. Some nights I seem to get to sleep within an hour of just lying there. But other nights I'm all over the shop, on and off for the entire night which can increase the hangover like sickness I get in the morning.

At this rate, I'll be dead by the end of the year. Or....I won't last long past 18.

Please help me :(.

PS - I'm 16.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi i think the first thing to do is to talk to a councilor at your school okay.
    Let them know how you are feeling they will get you some help from there.
    also call your regular doctor talk to him or her and ask about some therapy or meds to help for your anxiety and sadness.
    You need to TALK okay to someone anyone a teacher your Parents need to know okay so they can get you the support you need to get well.

glad you reached out here too but talking to someone close to you they will get you the professional help you need to pull out of this place you are in emotionally hugs

3. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

This sounds almost exactly like my high school years. I don't know what you mean by *undiagnosed*..does that mean you haven't been seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist?

The inability to retain information could be the sleep deprivation or how depression suppresses memory or your mind being elsewhere. I read books but realize by the bottom of a page that my mind was preoccupied and I retained nothing- very frustrating. I remember being called by name in a classroom- just hearing my name made my heart beat wildly and sweat to soak my shirt. This was my generalized anxiety- it is such a continuous distress it turns into social phobias and causes automatic functions like eating and sleeping to seem like accomplishments.

As total eclipse said you should reach out to a school counselor. If you are self medicating with alcohol or street drugs you are only aggravating your depression. An antidepressant may very well help not only your depression but also the terrible anxiety at the same time. One class of medication I would be wary of, from my own experience with anxiety, is the benzodiazepine class.

I also practice all of the usual natural depression treatments like aerobic exercise, meditation and watching what I eat. I just read about how caffeine temporarily gives energy to a person with depression but ultimately depletes the brain of seretonin. These natural practices help significantly.

I went through almost identical symptoms though I also had OCD at your age but I didn't start treatment until a nervous breakdown at nineteen. Please see a psychiatrist before your depression and anxiety does any more damage, okay? Take care and know there is hope and relief.

4. BornFree

BornFree Well-Known Member

Hey Mac

How ya doing today?
    Just wanted to say hang in there! Its so great you're talking on here too, though you still need to chat to someone and get the help you deserve. Whoever you feel more comfortable with talking to... a school councillor or your Dr/G.P. (I know when I was your age I REALLY struggled talking to my parents) If thats the same with you just be honest with who you talk to and tell them any issues you have with your parents... and maybe they can talk to your folks for you? BUT you need to let them tell your folks ok, so your parents can support you and make life a little easier for you at home!
    In hindsight I wish I told my Dad.#

Seriously and if they give you meds then thats cool too ok, they will help you feel better and be able to enjoy your life... I know it sounds cliche but the teenage years can be awesome without all the adult responsibility that comes later on with being an adult!

Keep talking...

Take care of yourself
    Ditsy x

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

like everyone says start with a school counsellor or your family doctor. if you aren't sure what to say just print off what you wrote here and hand it over to them. ask them to read it and say you'll answer any questions once they have read it. that's a good way to start the conversation. then you will probably get meds and a referral for therapy. maybe a referral to a psychiatrist for further assessment. that would be a good thing. glad you are wanting to take this first step. good luck.

6. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Hi Mac

You need to do something about your *Undiagnosed* anxiety go see a therapist you need help with this and not getting help is only going to make your anxiety worse. You should be on Valium it could mellow you down. Than take Zoloft for the Anxiety

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.