Asperger Syndrome

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by MrDepressed, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

I have been diagnosed with this disorder...errr...difference..
    Was wondering if other people here have the same diagnosis and how it has affected them through there life?
    I know for me it has;
    1. It is difficult for me to express emotions or understand others emotions,
    2. I get annoyed with small things, eg) I hate the sound of people chewing, I hate certain words like, moist, sport, gaunch... bright lights bother me to no end, certain music compares to nails on a chalkboard.
    3. I have very few friends and find no need in making more friends, or even hanging out with the ones that I do have.
    4. I can say very stupid things in very inopportune moments.
    5. When I find an interest in something I study it to death, the latest has been true crime and the psychology of criminals.
    6. I am absorbed in fact
    7. I prefer details over the whole picture.
    8. Often feel disoriented.
    9. chronic depression
    10. chronic anxiety
    11. ocd like traits... I find my self counting the stupidest stuff
    12. weird hand movements seem to be a constant for me
    13. I think most other people are stupider than me
    14. I doubt most other people
    etc etc

2. stillhere

stillhere Active Member

I don't like touching some people's hands. that's about it.

3. poison

poison Well-Known Member

Huh. I seem like I have a few of those traits, but I am definetly missing the main ones I suppose. I know someone who has Aspergers as well.

4. Sarah

Sarah SF Friend & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

I have aspergers syndrome too.i just find it very hard to relate to people.allot of the time i cant understand peoples moods when i am talking to them.for example i cant tell the difference if they are tired or mad at me.i usually like to be alone because i dont being in large groups or noises that are real loud.but then that gets me lonely so i try to go out as often as i can.im still seen as being real shy tho and i dont go out much.i have anxuety all the time to the point that i dont even know it anymore when i am tense.other people have to tell me i am.oh and my current obsession is cross stitch.

5. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

Aspergers will manifest itself differently to all who suffere from it, so far it seams to me that there are certain things that are common.
    some other traits that I have,
    15. I hate the touch of paper from old books, it gives me this dryness on my fingertips that really sucks to me,
    16. I also hate the crowds thing.
    17. I have very few real world friends, and dont attempt at keeping any of them... the internet is my lifeline to the world, other than my kids and my ex.
    18. Noise tends to really irratate me, if someone is trying to talk to me over music/fan/tv/radio etc etc than chances I will not make sense of what they say.

6. Kalak

Kalak Member

I was diagnosed with AS this month. The main symptoms for me are:

1) I'm socially retarded. I can barely say "hi" or "bye", I don't talk unless spoken too unless I have a specific question, I don't know what or when to say something during a conversation (usually I just say "yes" or grunt). I also often take things rather literally.
    2) Eyecontact. I wasn't aware people made eyecontact while talking until I was 18, and only then because someone in highschool alway told me I should make eyecontact. Since then, I started making eyecontact, I was very anxious the first few years but now I've become used to it in most situations.
    3) Can't understand non-verbal language. When somebody gestures or something I just try to guess what they mean. This has already gotten me into trouble with the traffic police. :rolleyes:
    4) Nearly constant urge to walk exactly on the center of tiles. In public I really fight against this urge to not look like a complete idiot.
    5) Weird hand movements, constantly shaking my legs, rocking back and forth.
    6) My room is a total mess but some things HAVE to lie in certain places. I always get pissed off when my mother leaves her pencil NEXT to the printer instead of ON the printer. I also need to have a specific kind of coffeecup with a specific kind of spoon.
    7) Depression
    8) Can't stand loud noises, including people talking loudly.
    9) Can't express emotions
    10) Can't stand some types of clothing. I only wear regular t-shirts and sweaters, I HATE shirts with buttons, collars, or those things at the end of the sleeve.
    11) I have two friends who I see like once or twice a year. That's enough for me.
    12) Spend alot of time in various fantasy worlds.
    13) My interests are strategy games and fantasy (games and books). I don't think the intensity is abnormally high, but that might be because I lack the energy and can't concentrate well.

7. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

Did you exerience much releif when you got the diagnosis? I know that I did, for years and years I have been through the mental system and nothing ever stuck or made sense until this.

8. Kalak

Kalak Member

A bit, yes, I have been in psychiatry for only a year, but I had suspected for years that I had some form of autism. In highschool, even my schoolmates called me autistic. I tried to tell myself I wasn't abnormal, but just lazy(from the depression) and shy. Now I'm glad to know why exactly I'm "abnormal" though.

9. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

10. TLA

TLA Antiquitie's Friend

Posted in the news today. :sad:

Calif. - Nikki Bacharach, daughter of Burt Bacharach and Angie Dickinson, committed suicide, the songwriter and actress said in a statement Friday.

Nikki Bacharach, 40, suffered from Asperger's Disorder, a form of autism. She killed herself Thursday night at her condo, said Linda Dozoretz, a spokeswoman for the family.

"She quietly and peacefully committed suicide to escape the ravages to her brain brought on by Asperger's," the statement said.
    Nikki Bacharach died of suffocation using a plastic bag and helium, said Mike Feiler of the Ventura County coroner's office.

Born prematurely in 1966, Lea Nikki Bacharach studied geology at Cal Lutheran University, but could not pursue a career in the field because of poor eyesight.

"She loved kitties, and earthquakes, glacial calving, meteor showers, science, blue skies and sunsets, and Tahiti," the statement said.

Nikki Bacharach was the only child of Burt Bacharach, 77, and Dickinson, 75, who were married from 1965 to 1981.

It was the second marriage for both Bacharach, the Oscar-winning composer of "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head," and "What the World Needs Now is Love," and Dickinson, star of the film "Dress to Kill" and the TV show "Police Woman."

11. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

THanks for sharing this sad story.. my heart goes out to her family..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.