Aspergers - Anyone else here got it too?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by SplinterStar, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SplinterStar

SplinterStar Active Member

I've been suicidal on and off for years now and never even thought it might be connected to my Aspergers. I look around the web for information and apparently people with aspergers, particularly the young fellows and gals, are usually at very high risk for suicide.

From my understanding, and a few bouts of therapy, teenager-dom and the rest of life is a very cold place with only black and white not softened by the unreality of emotion. Seems like a good reason to die in the long run.

Still, if there is ANYONE out there that has any rough idea what the connection between Aspergers and 75% chance of suicide, GIVE ME A HOLLER!

:zombie:

2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I'm sorry I know nothing about it. I could look into it for you though. I actually love researching stuff because I'm basically a nerd.

3. SplinterStar

SplinterStar Active Member

Sure. private message me if you find something that's concrete, if you want. All i find is ****ed up theories that arent fully proven

4. SelfMadePrison

SelfMadePrison Banned Member

As an adult with aspergers who has struggled my whole life with a suicidal depression I would say the area that has led to my feeling suicidal is not fitting in.
    I go in spurts of being able to be social but they quickly end in me shutting down nearly completly from the world, my sleep becomes excessive and contact with others crawls to almost non-existance..

I think the problem with theories on suicide and asd's is simply the lack of unified research being done, which is from the lack of funding, or improperly outsourced funds... who is to say really though...

I think it could be different for each of us who have an ASD.

5. b0wfl3x

b0wfl3x Member

I have asperger's. I've been fairly suicidal for the last couple of years. And increasingly of late.

6. FireBird

FireBird Well-Known Member

I have high functioning autism diagnosed at 5 and have been suicidal on and off for many years, since before 13 and I am 26 now. I am sorry that this is true and I hope everyone gets better.

7. Emerald Hyperion

Emerald Hyperion Not So Well-Known Member

I have Aspergers Syndrome also. But I personally feel that it has ruined a good majority of my life, especially social wise. I've been suicidal for 12 years.

8. Obsessive

Obsessive Well-Known Member

I have AS and depression. I wouldn't call it suicidal though considering I don't have an actual plan - I've done research on methods and wasn't impressed with what I found. It doesn't help my depression to know that I'll always be an outcast.

9. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I have a special place in my heart for people with aspergers, as my daughter has an aspergers like disorder which I believe is Symantic Pragmatic Disorder. I'm happy to see the responses here for you, Julia, you know you're not alone.

Maybe an aspergers social group can be started here on this forum. Aspergers is a unique way of seeing the world and this is something you all can share.

I'm here for anyone of you who wants to talk. PM me anytime.

:hug:

10. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

Heh, I've attempted suicide and I was diagnosed with asperger's at age 9.

The inability to communicate with anyone has pretty much paralyzed my social life... which really was non-existant anyways.

Feel free to ask questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.