asscrackastan

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by THEO, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THEO

THEO Member

i try to just forget I was in afghanistan as much as possible, but some times thiers nothing I can do and I just get overwhelmed with the memories and thier too much to escape, I hate talking about it bacause it just brings up really bad memories that I dont want to deal with, but I need to.

I spent 15 months doing route clearance with my platoon as the name suggests we cleared routes, of bombs, fighting positions, militant taliban and Mujahideen guerrila fighters.

making sure the roads are nice and safe for everyone else takes its toll on you same shit different day death becomes the norm youdont even flinch when a man holds his child in front of him as body armor while trying to shoot you all you can do is your job and defend your self and your battle buddies.
    thiers too much to deel with the only thing I can do is smoke enough pot to forget who I am. I dont have anyone I can talk to about this, its a very awkward subject every time I even think about it I have "?panic?" attacks

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Wow. You are a pretty amazing person to go out there and help in that way. One of the heroes; same as every other service man and women who has been out there.

Its tragically sad, but completely understandable, that it has affected you so much. What you saw, what you did, what you went through was hugely traumatic and its not a surprise it is affected you so deeply.

I know its cliched, but have you gotten any therapy for all you went through?

3. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

I understand how this has stuck with you and caused you some mental pain.You should probably go talk to someone about it.

You should be proud of what you did.You saved many lives.You stopped me from watching about IED or roadside bomb kill 3 on the news every day.I thank you for your service.

But like th above person said,getting someone to talk to could be your fix .

4. THEO

THEO Member

i've talked to so many therapists, i've just given up hope on profesional help, the department of veterans just doesnt care you think they would, but no.

18 veterans commit suicide every day, you think they would try something better, as long as I dont become part of that statistic im happy

5. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I personally feel we let those Veterans and war heroes down big time when they come home. I'm from the UK, but it sounds like you guys also struggle over there.

Can I ask what therapies you have tried?

6. THEO

THEO Member

I dont know what you would call it, I just sat in a room with a person and tried to talk about my problems, butI hate talking to doctors or really anyone for that matter i've always just held my emotions in.
    on my last visit to the VAhospital they tried to schedule an appointment so I could get medication to help with my SA, depression, PTSD and TBI but I refused now im thinking about trying to call them and set one up, but I hate taking pills I dont want to be a zombie all medded out, right now im self medicating with LARGE amounts of marijuana but that just helps me forget i have problems I cant hide behind pot my whole life

7. Blue_Sky

Blue_Sky Well-Known Member

That must be difficult to deal with, I think you're a very brave person. This may sound weird when you read about, but if your up for trying anything, there's something called EFT. It's a very simple technique, it can be used by anybody, but it's been used a lot particularly for veterens who deal with PTSD and many of them claim that it has been very helpful. You can download the free book here explaining it http://www.eftuniverse.com/

8. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I would definitely suggest going back for meds, they could make the world of difference. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right med, but if you're trying, at least you know you're getting closer to finding something that works. The side effects should only last a short time, so if you do find they zonk you out, it would not be permanent, just while your body is getting used to the medications. Maybe its worth a shot?

As for the therapy, there are many different types of therapy and I'm wondering if you have not yet found the right one for you. There are some out there specifically for people with PTSD, and there are other skills based therapies (like CBT and DBT) which may also be of benefit. Maybe a different type might have more success for you.

9. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

You are going through PTSD and this is quite common for soldiers coming back from warzones to experience this. You need some counselling. And there's nothing wrong to talk about your feelings, even for soldiers. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.