Assisted suicide group perpares for trial

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mordeci, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

2. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

If it were legalized, I wonder what the prerequisites would be. I could see it being a good thing for somebody dying of a disease who was ready to go, but I doubt that depression would be a good enough reason, considering there are so many other options other than suicide. I agree that assisted suicide would be safer than doing it alone, and would be a more humane death, but whenever I think about it I always imagine a sliding scale scenario, like when someones life got hard they say "oh well, I'll just go for assisted suicide" instead of working to improve their lives (which I think would be the best option).

I can imagine that if such a system were implemented, the groups involved would constantly be attacked/criticized by the grieving families of the recently deceased, and they would have a hard time staying afloat. If I had someone I love die by assisted suicide, I would be more than pissed off by the company that authorized and completed it. Would they need to know medical records? Results of psyche evaluations? Or would it just be if you had a good enough reason they would put you down for the right price? Would it be a medical organization or a business? I can't help but see it as something starting with good intentions, but becoming open to corruption for the opportunity for profit, or be brought down by the actions of bereaved families.

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

4. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link aoeu, Dignitas' requirements and criticisms are just about what I expected from an assisted suicide group.

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Gotta say I'm surprised its FINANCES of all things come into question...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.