at least 100 000 died in the haiti earth quake

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by morning rush, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

its all over the news here...pretty bad...

can you imagine one day all is normal and in the next minute, everything you know, you see is gone...

2. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

Ouch.... R.I.P

3. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

hopefullly the world will all pull together and offer support to the country, fireifghters from my are have gone out to try and help find survivours etc, its so devistating.

4. physician

physician Well-Known Member

I would like to be in Haiti yesterday. RIP

5. Rolo555

Rolo555 Well-Known Member

Haiti was never normal as it was a 3rd World country with alot of problems as a few days ago not many cared about the country. Now its even worse.

6. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

From the devastion that is being shown all over the news today, I dont think Haiti is ever going to recover. It was already buried so deeply in the devastion of poverty, overpopulation and a very weak govenment base. This is something that even with all the help from all the countries across the globe it isnt going to get better. Health issues from the corpses and water problems that are going to develope in the next few days added to the need for shelter food, and medical attention is going to put all this into complete caos!!!! One of the major problems that was hindering help today was the massive looting taking place only hours after the quake hit. And the horrible massive scale of confusion by everyone.

This is a very sad day indeed. My prayers go out for the survivors. They are truly going to need them more than those that perished.

7. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Omg.... Another Dec. 26 2004? :(

8. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

Is this a definite number? It said on the news that it was 50,000 earlier.

9. morning rush

over here on the news they say that its at least 100 000 and its going to be more within the next few days...

they are still people alive under the buildings and they have started to cut arms and legs off people that are caught in the rumbles to save their lives...pretty horrible...no building is safe and so everyone sleeps outside in parks etc...

10. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

That sucks. It's so sad.

11. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Compiling the various estimates has placed the toll from 45,000 to 100,000, maybe more. It includes a lot of peacekeepers and aid workers as well, including a nobel laureate from Brazil that was doing some humanitarian work.

This is such a horrible tragedy. I ended up ranting about it yesterday from sheer anger. This is the last country in the world that could've afforded this. Infrastructure and buildings were already shoddy and unsafe, and now the quake has practically crumbled them down to nothing. Poverty and instability were already rife as well, without this sort of disaster extrapolating it five fold.

My only solace is in the support being shown by various NGOs and the international community. Dozens of countries have lined up to help, even other poor ones.

12. morning rush

there are alot of people willing to help but the airport in haiti (at port au prince) is full so no planes can go there at this moment...

many humanitarians that were there are uncalled for, there was a woman who was taking care of 58 orphan children that is missing, another is a nun...

it is pretty bad and it will only get worse...

13. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Here are ways to help out:

United States

“Yele” to 501501 to donate $5 to Wyclef Jean’s Yéle Foundation
    “Haiti” to 85944 to donate $5 to Rescue Union Mission and MedCorp International
    “Haiti” to 25383 to donate $5 to the International Rescue Committee
    “Haiti” to 90999 to donate $10 to the Red Cross in the U.S.
    Partners in health needs medical personnel.
    Unicef donation form.
    Blood donation.
    Save the Children.
    Doctors Without Borders.
    Engineers Without Borders

Canada

“Haiti” to 45678 to donate $5 to the Salvation Army in Canada
    “Yele” to 501501 to donate $5 to Wyclef Jean’s Yéle Foundation
    “Haiti” to 85944 to donate $5 to Rescue Union Mission and MedCorp International
    “Haiti” to 25383 to donate $5 to the International Rescue Committee
    List of organizations to donate to.
    Canadian Red Cross

Donations made by individual Canadians to eligible Canadian charitable organizations from Jan. 12 to Feb. 12 will be matched by the federal government through the CIDA-managed Haiti Earthquake Relief Fund.

United Kingdom

DEC
    More ways to help

Germany

You can donate to Unicef or Oxfam via Visa Card
    German Red Cross
    Help Haitian Children
    Unicef Germany

Finland

Red Cross
    Finn Church Aid

France

Secours Catholique
    Croix Rouge
    Action Contre la Faim
    Fondation de France
    Unicef

Netherlands

Projecthulp Haiti bank number 42.91.01.082
    Giro555 Online Donation

Spain

SMS(Only Vodafone Clients) text "CR" to 5280 (the total amount incl. taxes is donated directly to the Spanish Red Cross, 1.04€) to Red Cross
    Organizations, including bank account numbers and telephone donation lines
    More organizations with their numbers
    Unicef Donation Form
    Red Cross

Sweden

SMS "akut" to 72900 to donate 50kr to the Red Cross
    SMS "STAR" to 72930 to donate 100kr to Hoppets Stjärna
    SMS "FN" to 72900 to donate 50kr to Svenska FN-förbundet (same number as Red Cross)
    More information.

And don't forget about the animals.

Every little amount helps, guys, please help if you can.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Haiti had a lot of problems before the earthquake and nobody gave a fuck about it then. Fine give what you can, but in a couple of years nobody will care again. I wonder what it's all about sometimes.

15. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

What really shocked me was when I saw that interview where the famous Christian evangelist Pat Robertson said that the Haiti earthquake is God's punishment on the Haitians because of Haiti making the pact with the Devil in order to defeat the French. Quite shocking when I hear such a statement from such a high-profile Christian. Did anybody else see that interview?

16. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Didnt see it but it's in all the news today and everyone is really poo poohing on him for what he said. Some people should really give their heads a shake before they speak so they can avoid the foot up their ass that follows such remarks and then they also wouldnt have to keep trying to get their own foot out of their mouths so often.

All the world is in utter disbelief and shock at what has happened in Haiti and the poor people that live there. And he figures such a remark will help pull people into his flock how?????

Yep thank you Pat Robertson. Your purpose in life is to ensure people see what real stupidity is!!!!

17. morning rush

defeating the french? Does he know that they speak french? And that here in quebec (the french province) we have at least 130 000 haitians...

What a douche, and judgemental prick...you know that is Jesus was alive, he probably would be there right now helping them....

also many people think that no one gave a damn about haiti before this but that's not true, there are many organisations and people from all around the world that lived there and were bringing help...the news just doesnt mention them because its boring...

funny how we presume things like that just because no one speaks of it...

18. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

19. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

this is horrible. dont know what to say

:sad: my mom when i mentioned his comments gave me the whole haiti has voodo and witch craft and sacrafice going on and a pool of that negative energy.added to this event and it's not ust a geograpical event. i fucking hate extreme religious views.. sooo much

20. morning rush

haitians are the most devout catholics in the whole world, I mean even though this happened they are still praying and singing to God in the streets

your mom needs to go back to school and learn a thing or two...

thank god you dont share her thoughts, you are very wise indeed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.