At What Point is it Considered an Attempt?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by ziploc_bag, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziploc_bag

ziploc_bag Active Member

I'm trying to figure out where you draw the line between suicidal thoughts and an actual attempt.

For instance, do you actually have to physically attempt something, or can it also be considered if you prepare a will and consider yourself ready to do it but you back out before you take physical action?

Does physical harm have to be inflicted for it to be considered an attempt? What is the definition for this, or, what is your opinion on this?
  2. Julia-C

Julia-C Well-Known Member

I think it depends. If you are attempting to gain the courage then making plans is an attempt also.
  3. ziploc_bag

ziploc_bag Active Member

I'm trying to figure out how many attempts I have made, that's why I want to know. I don't know what the common definition is, though.
  4. TheOncomingStorm

TheOncomingStorm Well-Known Member

I personally go by how many times i have tried to physically kill myself.
  5. Anneinside

Anneinside Well-Known Member

Attempt are when you actually do something to hurt yourself. Making a plan or writing a note are just preparations for making an attempt, they are not attempts.
  6. Cowburn

Cowburn Well-Known Member

I'd say It's when you actually carry out the act of harming your body with the intention of death.
  7. passingthrough

passingthrough Active Member

I have to say I only consider it an attempt when you physically harm your body with the intention that you will die.

I got quite shocked when my psychologist labelled actions I had taken as attempts when I had stopped just before doing actual harm to myself. Although when I said I didn't consider them attempts as I had stopped myself without doing any physical harm to my body, she agreed. They are still important though and I think we renamed them something like suicidal actions, rather than attempts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.