At What Point is it Considered an Attempt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to figure out where you draw the line between suicidal thoughts and an actual attempt.

For instance, do you actually have to physically attempt something, or can it also be considered if you prepare a will and consider yourself ready to do it but you back out before you take physical action?

Does physical harm have to be inflicted for it to be considered an attempt? What is the definition for this, or, what is your opinion on this?

I'm trying to figure out how many attempts I have made, that's why I want to know. I don't know what the common definition is, though.

Anneinside

Attempt are when you actually do something to hurt yourself. Making a plan or writing a note are just preparations for making an attempt, they are not attempts.

I have to say I only consider it an attempt when you physically harm your body with the intention that you will die.

I got quite shocked when my psychologist labelled actions I had taken as attempts when I had stopped just before doing actual harm to myself. Although when I said I didn't consider them attempts as I had stopped myself without doing any physical harm to my body, she agreed. They are still important though and I think we renamed them something like suicidal actions, rather than attempts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00