atheist/agnostic opinion please... i need support..

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by asking_advice, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asking_advice

asking_advice Well-Known Member

while my mother was talking to my uncle. she said that tsunami was cause by atheism and the god in japan is buddha. after that conversation. later i confronted my mother about what she said. she said she forgot i was there and she just a person that sometimes forget the info i told her that japanese dont worship buddha.

i know she loves me but sometimes i feel alone because i dont know any agnostic or atheist in real life that can understand me :(
  2. Romancer

Romancer Well-Known Member

japanese religion is pretty complicated, in general it's the number one modern country with the least organized religion (2/3 of population has personal beliefs,etc.). some of them do worship buddha, but in general buddhism doesn't have a god, buddha isn't like the christian God. :tongue: if you know that what your mother said isn't the case, stay strong, and don't give up on what you believe in. :)

Ps- the idea that poor non-christians were the cause of tsunamis is interesting >.>
  3. starchild

starchild Well-Known Member

Hi, does your mother know that you're an atheist/agnostic? If she doesn't, would you feel comfortable in telling her what your beliefs are? Or, if she already knows, do you feel that she may be treats you differently because of those beliefs?

Atheism is sadly misunderstood by a lot of people, usually because of ignorance, sometimes fear, often a bit of both. But the only way to make any ground would be to openly and calmly talk about how you feel with your mother, if you believe a common ground is perhaps possible to achieve.
  4. asking_advice

asking_advice Well-Known Member

she knows but sometimes i feel misunderstood :(
  5. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Your mothers comment is about intolerance and ambiguity and you dont have to be an atheist or agnostic to be accepting of other peoples beliefs you just have to be a true christian. I would not let your mothers comment affect your own beliefs or lack of them and/or drive you away from Christianity.

BTW Buddhism is more of a philosophy of life and I find it rather refreshing and quite a pure way of thinking.
  6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I don't suppose the tectonic plate argument would go over with her. Too bad, it's a really solid explanation for what happened...
  7. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

what an ignorant comment. makes her sound like a moron. don't waste anytime thinking about it....
  8. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Buddhism isn't like most other religions anyway. It doesn't have a 'god'(as far as I know, considering Buddha was an actual being not some unseen entity).

It sounds like your mother just wants to blame shit on people. It's kinda like those idiots that say america will die because they 'tolerate homosexuality' :blink:.

Most people that are aware of modern science will know the basics of tectonic plates. And it's a lot more logical than 'god sending a wave to kill a bunch of people...'.

Try telling her about the tectonic plates, and how they relate to things like earthquakes/volcanoes. Maybe she's willing to learn something that's been around for ages and is accepted by(in my opinion) over 99% of the population :laugh:.

good luck :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.