Atheist declared mentally ill in Nigeria

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Xaos, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

2. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

This is terrible! Christianity is not Islam and understands that people must be given their freedom to believe in God or not. Islam doesn't do this and is retributive which is a total misrepresentation of the whole "God-thing".

3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

wow that sucks, well better than being killed sure, but it's kind of weird that they see him as the problems when society is the problem, they are the ones who are mentally ill. It's really sad.

4. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

I don't know that this situation can be analyzed in terms of western values. The guy's family does likely care about him, precisely because being identified as atheist in the Muslim-controlled areas of Nigeria is a very dangerous thing. Boko Haram is going around right now shooting schoolchildren in Nigeria because it is opposed to anyone getting a western education. Western values are fine. But until a westward-looking authority takes power there, the values of Europe and America simply don't apply.

5. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

it seems that common humanitarian values don't apply either......

6. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Terrifying... There are some good points Hatshepsut, however I could say the same about a father who belts his kid to keep them inline. This person wants more then what is offered or accepted by his culture. The best thing they can do is get him out of there, or in a more accepting area. Otherwise he'll have to learn how to adapt to the surroundings. And as mentioned, there are those who feel they are justified in "cleansing" those who think differently.

They seriously need to just extract him out of that region. Though I'm not sure what he wants in the end. But I dread to think what medication + other forms of treatment + family physiological pressure is doing to his mind.

7. Newguy12

Newguy12 Member

Though it's certainly good that he wasn't killed for not believing in any gods, it's extremely unfortunate that he is viewed as mentally ill simply for disagreeing with the community's dogma. It is times like this that I wish that Islam didn't exist. As far as I'm concerned, that religion is a disease. If only there was a cure for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.