Atheist in the midst

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Viper, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viper

Viper Well-Known Member

I just joined here because I've been having suicidal thoughts. I have been for quite some time now (three years) , but I haven't really attempted anything. I decided that if I ever do attempt it, I will be successful so I want to make sure that it is what I really want if/when the time comes.

Being an atheist, it's hard to give purpose to my life. I wish I could believe that there is a god and that he sends good people to heaven but I don't really believe that. I was born and raised Jewish and I even would do exceptionally well in sunday school and such. I started to become atheist about 4 years ago.

Before joining, I browsed the forum only to find some posts which inevitably ended in peoples suicide. It's crazy to me to think about how I am looking at the words of somebody who doesn't exist and could very well have spent their last 5 minutes on this site letting everyone know of this fact. It's kinda sad, but at the same time, it is relieving. I believe that some people should commit suicide. People are people are people. Nobody knows anybody else better than they know themselves. Period. If you feel that you want to end your life, end the suffering, for whatever reason, then you should be able to. With this said, you better make sure that it's what you want because you obviously won't get a second chance once you are successful. Sometimes I don't even like how some people give support for others. When you feel depressed (that is, suicidal depressed), then sometimes I hate hearing the whole "it will get better" spiel. If somebody were to say that to me, I would know that they are obviously saying that because they feel obligated. Why can't people just say the truth. Say that it will only get better if you put effort to make it better. It will not get better on it's own and you are a fool to think otherwise.

For me, I don't have the motivation to make it better. I do want it to, of course, otherwise I wouldn't be in this forum. The problem is that when you have no motivation to want to change, then there is just emptiness with no chance of fulfillment. That is how I am feeling right now.
  2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Hi! :) First of all, I believe in God, but if you don't, that doesn't mean that there is no purpose to life.

Try to look at the existentialist/absurdist point of view, which states that even if there is no God, it is up to us to give meaning to life.

According to the existentialists/absurdists (try reading "the Stranger" by Albert Camus, or "Being and Nothingness" by Jean-Paul Sartre), the fact that God may not exist does not mean that life has no meaning. According to them, life has no meaning except for that which we apply to it. It is our responsibility to GIVE meaning to our own lives, independent of God or even other people.

It is our responsibility as humans to CREATE meaning in our own lives, and by doing so, we transcend all of the bullshit that life throws at us.

See life as an opportunity to create value in a world where value is difficult to find, and in doing so, maybe you will be able to define and discover a worthwhile being. Make your own way and value that way.

Just a thought :)
  3. Robin

Robin Guest

I'm one of those guilty for saying things can get better but when I say it I don't mean that things won't get shit again later on. My mood like many peoples here is on a constant yoyo, up and down all the time, sometimes it is enough to reply to a message of a friend or someone in need to say that they have been heard in their time of despair and to give a little hope.

I liked peanuts post, I took a similar approach once, I figured if there was no God then it was up to us to improve life to the point where there is no suffering, many countries have come very far in deed to helping the unfortunate but I admit there is along way to go, our knowledge, though much better than even just 50 years ago, is still far from full, who knows how long it will take us to remove suffering from the world but at least that is the direction we are going in.

As you can tell I still believe life is still very much worth living, it's just unfortunate that in the time you was born there is no cure for depression yet, however, with the help of professional treatment (if you're lucky enough to be able to afford it, have insurance or live in a country where healthcare is free) things can improve vastly. The problem then becomes one of motivation and that is one of those things I am again lacking any useful information on.

Lacking motivation can make me isolate and just stay in bed for days or weeks at a time, it certainly is a hard nut to crack, the only thing I can think of suggesting is what my drs and keyworker suggest and that is to build some sort of pattern into your life, things you can do on auto pilot, shopping on a certain day, a walk on another, building a routine helps me tons when I can manage it but my sleeping pattern is most likely to ruin it.

I think what I'm saying is, (sorry for the ramble), is try to build a little routine in your life and if you slip up don't beat yourself up over it, it's not the end of the world, try again when you feel strong enough and maybe you will get to the stage where you are functioning normally even if you don't feel at your greatest.
  4. Viper

Viper Well-Known Member

I know that even though I don't believe in god, there is still a purpose. It is only what you put into it. Just because I'm atheist doesn't mean I do not appreciate life either. When I was younger, I did appreciate it but there is nothing to appreciate anymore. It is so draining for me to make an effort to change things for the better, that I simply do not. I don't want to exist anymore. I have no reason to.

I don't think we are going in that direction at all. Religion has done more harm than it has done good IMHO.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2007
  5. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

Maybe you just dont beleive in the image of God you have been presented with.

Which is more than understandable.
  6. thecleric

thecleric Guest

Much as it pains me to admit it, Peanut's French philosophers have a worthwhile point. But for those of us with a nerdier point of view, a similar lesson can be gained from astronomy. Humans have spent a great deal of effort looking systematically at the universe, and extremely little of it is the least bit hospitable--it's overwhelmingly dark, cold, and uninteresting. Kind of like life as a depressed atheist can be, I imagine.

The contrast of the emptyness of the universe with our jewel of a planet couldn't be more striking. Even better, a large part of the shape and makeup of our planet is not merely due to geology, but to the activity of living things. It is because of living things that we have an oxygen-rich atmosphere, for example.

So yes, even setting aside the possibility of God, things of great value and beauty not only can be created by life, but are created by life all the time. And so life can obtain real value and meaning simply through the consequences of its continuing existence.

That's a sentiment I can appreciate. But note that you state merely a practical problem, not an existential one. A solution that merely satisfies your practical need for more energy and optimism is completely sufficient to curing the overall problem you present. A good dose of sleep, exercise, and sex could be enough.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.