Atheist Out Campaign

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Entoloma43, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

I'm fairly sure the community here at sf has a lot of atheists/agnostics/non-theist, so I thought this may interested you.

The OUT Campaign is a public awareness initiative for freethought and atheism endorsed by prominent atheist Richard Dawkins. The campaign is an attempt to create a more positive image about atheism by providing a means by which atheists can identify themselves to others by the use of the Scarlet 'A'. It encourages those who wish to be part of the campaign to come out, reach out, speak out, keep out, and stand out. It encourages people to 'come out of the closet' with regards to their own atheism.

Links of interest:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YH60hc29rDc - Richard Dawkins Discussing
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=NhbrXPWgxTo - Help Spread Campaign
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_Campaign - Wikipedia Article

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I'm an agnostic myself but I can't see why people like Richard Dawkins are so keen to turn people away from religion. Studies have shown that religious people are less prone to suicide, divorce etc. and generally have happier, healthier lives, so why change that? Being part of a group who cares about you, loves you and prays for you, even if it is false (which in some cases it is and in others it isn't), is better than feeling completely isolated, so I envy Christians completely, I just can't be one.

You may say he's just saying that people should stand up and be proud of their atheistic beliefs, but he admits himself that his goal is to stamp out religion. Personally I've no time for the bloke, he's meant to be a scientist, but he's not objective, his 'atheism' is just another form of religion.

By all means stamp out corruption, expose those who prey on others to gain fame and money, speak out against those who pervert the faith, but you should be tolerant of the everyday person who just goes through life gaining strength and support through their religion.

3. Entoloma43

Can you link me to these studies/statistics? I'm sure there's some out there, but here are some I found:

Barna released the results of their poll about divorce on 1999-DEC-21. 1 They had interviewed 3,854 adults from the 48 contiguous states. The margin of error is ±2 percentage points. The survey found:

11% of the adult population is currently divorced.
    25% of adults have had at least one divorce during their lifetime.
    Divorce rates among conservative Christians were significantly higher than for other faith groups, and much higher than Atheists and Agnostics experience.

Jews 30%
    Born-again Christians 27%
    Other Christians 24%
    Atheists, Agnostics 21%

The Associated Press analyzed divorce statistics from the US Census Bureau. They found that Massachusetts had the lowest divorce rate in the U.S. at 2.4 per 1,000 population. Texas had the highest rate at 4.1 per 1,000. They found that the highest divorce rates are found in the "Bible Belt."

Concerning the infant mortality rate specifically (number of deaths per 1,000 live births), irreligious countries have the lowest rates, and religious countries have the highest rates. According to the CIA World Factbook (2004), out of 225 nations, the top 25 nations with the lowest infant mortality rates were all nations containing significantly high percentages of organic atheism. Conversely, the 75 bottom nations with the highest infant mortality rates were all very religious nations without any statistically significant levels of organic atheism.

Concerning international poverty rates, the United Nations’ Report on the World Social Situation (2003) found that of the 40 poorest nations on earth (measured by the percentage of each nation’s population that lives on less than $1.00 a day), all but one (Vietnam) are highly religious nations with statistically minimal or insignificant levels of atheism.

Concerning homicide rates, Fajnzylber et al (2002), looked at 38 nations (excluding those in Africa) and found that of the top ten nations with the highest homicide rates, all but one (United States) were highly religious nations with statistically insignificant levels of organic atheism. Conversely, of the bottom ten nations with the lowest homicide rates, all but one ( Ireland) are highly secular nations with high levels of atheism. Fox and Levin (2000) looked at 37 nations (again excluding Africa), and found that of the top ten nations with the highest homicide rates, all but two (Estonia and Taiwan) were highly religious nations containing statistically insignificant levels of organic atheism. Conversely, of the bottom ten nations with the lowest homicide rates, all but two ( Ireland and Kuwait) were relatively secular nations with high levels of organic atheism.

Japan (the most atheistic nation in the G-7) have its lowest murder rate while the United States (the most Christian nation in the G-7) has its highest.

Prison population: Religious people make up way more of the population than atheists/agnostics:
    http://holysmoke.org/icr-pri.htm
    http://www.skepticfiles.org/american/prison.htm

Other various statistics

http://kspark.kaist.ac.kr/Jesus/Intelligence & religion.htm

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I've been reading a book called 'Psychology and religion' by Michael Argyle. of course that doesn't mean it's true, but he quotes his reference as "General Social Surveys 1972-1994" by the authors Davis and Smith.

I suppose it's easy enough to find surveys and statistics that both agree and disagree with this sort of debate, so who knows what to believe these days?

Anyway interesting post. I think concerning poverty it's more likely that people are religious because they are poor and not that they are poor because they are religious. But then again if you're poor and giving money to the church, it can't help much.

5. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

I don't care if people are atheist, agnostic, religious, alien (illegal or extraterrestrial). so unless a cute girl asks me to do it, I probably won't.

Entoloma43 you seem to be blaming religion for the poverty of the world, ziggy is probably closer to the truth they are religious because they are poor, not poor because they are religous. Unless the religion is "keeping" them down in some fashion. . . . which, if you believe, please support.

6. Entoloma43

Where did I imply I was blaming religion for the poverty of the world?
    I just put in an interested statistic in my post concerning religion and poverty that I found with the others.

7. Simply an 'aside' to the religion/poverty issue...(this quote made me smile!)

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day...
    Give a man a religion, and he'll starve to death praying for a fish"

8. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

the comparisons you make imply that religion is to blame.

9. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

I love this quote. It basically sums up one of my main beefs with religion. I have no problem with people being religious because it helps them deal with life and gives them some meaning that they need. But I hate when people stop living in the real world because of it. They ignore and choose to remain ignorant because they think some higher being is or isn't doing something for a reason and we shouldn't interfere.

It's bad enough that with today's technology, we barely have to do anything ourselves. Religion just adds to the laziness and ignorance that is destroying the world. God may or may not exist. Either way, it won't change the fact that we're the ones that can save or destroy the world.

Religious or atheistic, if you preach, I punch.:biggrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.