Atheists and Agnostics know more about the bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobes

From the Link:

The single strongest factor predicting how well a person does on the religious knowledge quiz is education - the more years of schooling a person has, the more they are likely to know about religion, regardless of how religious they consider themselves to be, Pew found.
The think tank also asked a handful of general knowledge questions - such as who wrote "Moby-Dick" and who's the vice president of the United States - and found a link between religious knowledge and general knowledge.
Very few people scored high on religion questions and badly on general knowledge, or vice versa.
So well-educated people and those with a knack for general knowledge tend to know more about religion than those that don't have those traits. Huh. Consider my mind blown.

EDIT: I know I'm being a smartass here, but the above quotes are what I took away from this study, not fuel for the idea that Atheists are smarter on religion than Believers or something like that. After all, there were millions of Americans on either side that they didn't survey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phteven

it doesnt surprise me really, the more you find out about religion the more you see it for what it is and less likely to follow it blindly.

Mystic

it doesnt surprise me really, the more you find out about religion the more you see it for what it is and less likely to follow it blindly.
Religion compels people to follow it without question or reason - to do so will bring hatred and intolerance from its most revered followers.

Stand back from it a little and all its weaknesses are exposed.

nolonger

The people that are the believers would find it extremely hard to argue half the things because they basically hind behind the book for an answer to everything. They(but not all) think it is the do all and end all.

Kinda like depression really, when you have it; you can't see happiness. When you don't, you do. :)

lifelover

I´m Agnostic and have deep knowledge about chriatianity. I find things are absurd and religions are for idiots. I do not yet acepted a god, maybe i will later. Anyway, believe in a god at your way is the better. Men transform religions in tools of war, hate, ignorance and thievery.

Mordeci

Banned Member
I believe it, I am an atheist and the main reason I am an atheist is because I have studied most relegions fairly in-depth. I can't quote specific scripture if given a citation but I know the stories and the morals behind it just as well, if not better then most relegious fanatics.

dreams4life

I took the quiz. I got 9/10. I am a believer of God. I am not surprised by the study either. I understand that many Americans say that they are Christians yet they know nothing about the Bible. It is sad that don't have the desire to know more.

Hache

I got 8/10 but the quiz had nothing to do with the bible and a few of them were educated guesses.

Anyway, very few christians actually build their life off of the bible. It is about interpretations and faith not historical storytelling. That is probably why non believers are supposed to know more because they do not look at christianity from the same angle.

Based on what I have seen of Wife Swap USA (LOL), it is an American thing to be obsessed with the bible, rarely are there any UK christians like that at all. Christianity is about society and the community, not about constantly resighting a Jesus tale in every day conversation.

dreams4life

I agree with you that the quiz did not have much Biblical content in it. The quiz was mainly history and not about salvation, which is the main message of Bible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00