Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by ybt, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ybt

ybt Guest

Is the definition of athiest not believing in the bible god, or not believing in any god?

And if you don't believe in any god, how?
  2. RainbowChaser

RainbowChaser Well-Known Member

I think it's not any God at all.
  3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Atheism is believing that God does not exist.

How? I'm the wrong person to answer because I have no idea how someone could look around at this world and not see God's hand in it in some way. I understand not being sure one way or the other (agnostic), but I think that being an outright atheist is cocky as hell.

I've also had bad experiences talking to atheists. They tend to think I'm a "sheep" or uneducated because of my beliefs, as if I haven't spent years trying to deepen my understanding of the universe and our place in it.
  4. RCC

RCC Well-Known Member

I get the same reaction, it's disappointing.
  5. ybt

ybt Guest

This thread isn't out to offend other people, and if you say things like that it's going to get locked by a mod :dry:
  6. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

The same way you can believe in one god but not every other god. "I merely believe in one less god" than most other people. Just a difference of opinion based on the available data.
  7. timezone

timezone Member

really? cuz i dunno how you CAN look around the world and think a god exists
    I also have had pretty bad experiences talking to religious people, they think they are so right :wink:

anyways. atheism means believing in no mystical force whatsoever. that includes the bible god, classic gods or any kind of spirituality
  8. timezone

timezone Member

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I find it strange that people ask "Is there a God?" and expect an answer "Yes", "No" or "Dunno". Surely it is the attributes of God that are most important, if there is a God and he doesn't care about this Universe at all then so what? If you look at the world and say it is cruel and evil then that doesn't prove God doesn't exist it could simply prove that God is cruel and evil.

To me the question is not so much "Does God exist?" rather "How accurate is my idea of God?" or "How accurate is the Bible and other Holy books?"

I used to look for answers but I think that in the end you simply have to experience life and try to come to an understanding of your own experiences. Everybody experiences the world in different ways and no two answers are the same.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2007
  10. RCC

RCC Well-Known Member

Maybe it's his creation, us, that is cruel and evil?
    We, as humans, have to take responsibility for our actions.
  11. Ziggy

You could be right, you could be wrong. That's not the point.

I was merely saying that I think that questions are better than answers. Answers are accepting somebody else's perspective on reality, whereas thinking is creating your own perspective.
  12. Esmeralda

I'm not trying to insult anyone...I just think it's pretty cocky to think we have it all figured out and to deny even the POSSIBILITY of God. Agnosticism makes more sense to me in that respect, even though it's quite non-committal.
  13. Esmeralda

Exactly. Free will.
  14. Ziggy

There are lots of things I want to do but God doesn't allow me to do.

I want to be able to read people's minds
    I want to be able to fly by merely flapping my arms
    I want to move objects with the power of my mind

I can't do these things but hey I can get by without them. I don't mind being limited in what I can do.

However, I can murder people, because that's my free will? I think I'd rather read their minds.
  15. Esmeralda

I think you are underestimating the satisfaction one can derive from a good old-fashioned mob killing. But mind reading is pretty cool too. To each his own.
  16. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I'm Agnostic..But I lean more toward Atheism..
    It basically sums up to this.
    Prove there is a god.
    Prove there isn't.
    You can't.
    There's no way to be absolutely sure if there is or isn't.
  17. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

I personally believe that believing in a human-like god is cocky. If god did exist it would be an incredibly complicated being or force as I like to call it. I don't believe in any god cause there is no evidence for any, simple as that. Could god exist? Ive never seen any hard evidence that any thing supernatural exists, so I don't think a god exists at all. Some people try to say we can see miracles, they are signs of gods existence. But why would god give some people miracles and not others how is that fair? doesn't make sense.
  18. honsou

honsou Well-Known Member

Ah good i get to express my self on this subject. Before i get into anything i would say that i would be better categorized as a anti-theist, which is basically a atheist that not only doesn't believe in god but also believes that religion is positively harmful. But i don't want to talk about that because, what i have noticed is a lot of atheist seem to be that way for negative reasons. I was actually like that until i read the works of Richard Dawkins, and while i always positively believed in evolution, there was just the way Dawkins explained it that made nature and life on this planet so much more beautiful to me. The slow crawl from the primordial soup, that eventually became you, me, all the animals and plants. Just makes me appreciate life all that much more. I know a lot of you have said how could you believe there is no god as there is so much wonder in the world. Look at a sunset and see its beauty, and know that everything about the process is explainable by science, so is the wonder of our world. That when we explain something, it becomes even more amazing and wonderful
  19. Esmeralda

Check out the "miracle of Fatima" on Wikipedia...witnessed by 100.000 people and completely unexplained...God reveals himself, we just have to look and be open to the possibility.
  20. I am offended, actually, by YBT thread. Like 'how'. Like ''how can people be so stupid''?

Excuse me, but I am very intelligent. How can anyone believe in God?

Again, logic plus unselfishness is the greatest combo. It is perfection.

In my thinking I cover and consider everything, it is hard, but I can do an ''overall'' in my head. I try to be very objective, etc.

Now, christianity, what is it? What is the true weight of it. It's a delusion. And anyone that is a Christian is absorbed into a delusion and cannot think straight. I don't have a subconscience, everything is in my conscience, and there's too much to say, but I'll try to keep this as brief as I can.

Well, you've heard it all before, so I don't know why I'm typing.

I have to be in control and above you, see, I'm a sociopath, also. Because I'm so intelligent (no pretention, just being silly to piss you off). So, I put all the arguments together, and I throw it in ur face, until you start to feel stupid. I am here to pull you out of your delusion, and show u the true way.

No concrete evidence supports christianity, common sense goes against christianity, and science disproves Christianity. This is overwhelming and compelling, so you'd have to be deluded to be religious. If the Christian God exists, and he's all so powerful, then he purposely didn't give us clues and evidence of his existence, why did he do that? To save the gullible and the easily fooled/deluded? Isn't the most obvious answer, that it is fake?

Christianty can only exist with civilization, and civilization is an unnatural state that is responsible for all our problems. All life on earth share the same origin. So why did God started caring about us when we got civilized? Isn't the more logical explanation that with civilization we invented God?

When humans got civilized they invented many Gods, humans are the only ones that know they're gonna die, and they're morose with that idea, so they think if they follow some rules they'll be saved . Very similar to OCD (mental disorder). Do this and that, and everything will be fine. Superstition.

All this is coming out impulsively, u guys know where this is going, and im too tired to write more.

I wanna add that many christians are hypocrits, perverts, mean-spirited and selfish.

And I am perfect. I am unselfish. I don't live for myself. Don't think that im a pervert bcuz i dont believe in a god. Cuz im perfect, i have more morals than ur fictional Jesus.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.