Athlete with depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

PandorasToybox

To give a quick background about me, I have been struggling with depression for years. The last year its been hidden. Only one person knows and its one of my teammates. I compete with a local club. I go to practice, give it my all and smile and appear happy. Reality is though that I'm struggling to the point that I'm barely able to cope. I don't have a good relationship with family as they play into the depression. Recently it's been having an impact on my performance and I'm wanting to tell my coach what is going on. I feel like he feels that my recent snappy and resistant attitude is just due to a poor attitude. We're also expected to commit to attending a certain number of practices per week in advance but I find it hard to promise to be there if the depression really hits that day and I don't want him to think it's just because I'm being lazy and disrespectful; up until now I've only missed one practice but ended up struggling during a few of those practices. I feel like if i told him what's going on I might be able to attend those practices if I had he support. Am i doing the right thing by talking to him??? I train hard and have the best attendance record at the club and i don't believe in excuses but to me depression isn't an excuse and some understanding and support is needed. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm feeling a little out of sorts tonight.

lightbeam

Antiquities Friend
I understand where you are coming from. I would suggest telling your coach. He can't peg you for a bad seed, just because you miss practice. I figure you are in good shape, and on antidepressants. You may need a dosage adjustment if it gets really bad, but overall, you should still be OK.

PandorasToybox

Thanks for the reply =)
I'm not on any medication, I was once but it causes problems with my epilepsy. Being active definitely has made it better but recent events have caused me to go backwards a bit. I've debated in the past telling someone but always chickened out. The only reason I would consider telling my coach is because I spend everyday with him and travel with my team which I'm not too enthusiastic about at this moment in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00