Ativan. Helpful? (Read with caution)

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by uncle buck, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uncle buck

uncle buck Member

Will ativan help with anxiety and self harm instincts? Or is that strictly an anti anxiety med for stress? I honestly dont know much about it. I was sitting on the weekend and feeling good while using the chat room feature but not long after signing off i felt overwhelmed and of course it was my body that took the brunt of that. The problem is its getting harder and harder to stop, and the feelings of peace arent lasting as long. Thoughts?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Ativan is used for anxiety it is suppose to be used only short term though as it becomes very addictive I think talking to your doctor about obtaining a long acting anxiety medication would be more helpful for you anxiety and your sh talk to your doc ok

3. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

have you ever considered trying cognitive behavioural therapy, uncle buck? Kicking the habit on an unhealthy coping mechanism such as self harm is best tackled with a combination of meds + CBT. Or so I've been told. I've never done CBT myself.

4. uncle buck

uncle buck Member

Due to work regs I can't medicate. And due to time constraints I can't get to therapy either. My family needs to eat so I have to sacrifice somewhere so I just try my best to keep myself intact day by day (which I am well aware is a hard, painful, losing battle). Last time i was on meds was 97, and i had to give up on therapy 3 years ago. I do miss the combination of therapy and meds but would be interested in info on cbt for sure. And could you help me out and add a 25th hour to the day? Lol

Seriously thx for the tip, I will get researching.

5. uncle buck

uncle buck Member

Thx for the advice total eclipse. My doc isn't too well versed on this stuff and I am in line for referral for a new therapist that can help me. I have a way of obtaining ativan thru family and have heard its helpful so I thought I would give it a shot in the meantime. I am worried I would abuse it for sure which is why I asked. I would do just about anything at this point to dull the pain, its really got me in its grasp lately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.