ativan

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Anonymous Dude, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous Dude

Anonymous Dude Well-Known Member

took 6mg of it today, planning on taking more. i think i'm addicted to it...

any stories about ativan you want to share?

2. Well....... once in a hospital I was given ativan for my severe restlessness. The level of restlessness was so severe the doc ordered 2 mg every 4 hours.
    They did it by IV for 2 weeks straight. Now my tolerance is so high the lorazepam(generic ativan) pills do not work on me at all.

Yes ativan is addictive, If I had the supplies I'd shoot it up myself

3. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I found this drug to be 876876876877687x better than valium. I wish I had some now actually.

4. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

Oh, I can get it but it does not work, even in 20 mg. doses, whereas 20 mg. of valium would do me better than ativan.... but all my doc wants to give me is wretched crap(ativan).

5. possessednomad

possessednomad Well-Known Member

Supposedly its renowned for having addictive qualities...

6. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

Yeah, they classify it a benzo.... just like xanax. However, my medical treatment center works with this benzo only for all patients who belong. As I said: they are willing to give it to me, in combonation with benadryl even! 1 mo. supply at a time... and they know of my suicidal history. :eek:hmy: I fail to see the "danger", in reality it's quite mild, working mostly on those with no history of benzo use whatsoever.

7. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Ohh, Ativan is lovely..They gave me 2mg every few hours through the IV in the hospital..And then when I got transferred to the psych ward they let me have 2mg. And yes, it's very addictive, and classified as a controlled substance. (As in, a serious drug. :laugh:)

8. Loco72

Loco72 Well-Known Member

wow...I didn't realize it was addictive. I have .25 mg prescribed twice daily as needed, but I really don't feel any effects of it. It may help, I don't know. I've taken Xanax a couple times(without a prescription, can definitely see the addictiveness of that) and it knocks me on my ass. Bad days I am always tempted to ask my friend for more xanax, but I am too scared I will get addicted...I have a very addictive personality.

9. ivyx

ivyx Member

Where U can finde medical centre like this? In my, they not even wont to give me stupid alergy pills for sleep (they make U drosy, but we have to be professionals).
    Diazepam
    Lorazepam
    Clonozepam
    Luminal
    Alprazolam
    Medazolam

And OVD.... Then I can live but how to hell get there here?

10. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Ok, ok. Lots of hearsay and misconception--but that's ok. Neuropharmacology is a major field of study for me.

In fact, lorazepam is known as short-acting, potent benzodiazepine w/ half-life of approx. 8 hours.

We say "potent" but it's nowhere near as potent as Klonopin and Xanax.

Developing a high tolerance and addiction to any benzo is something you'll pay for and regret for a long time. Ain't worth it, ppl.

ToHelp

11. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

May need to do a little more research. I took librium in my teens; it was more or less a placebo. In my twenties, qualudes, ecstasy for fun and not on a regular basis. My friendly MD prescribed Xanax for social anxiety. ALL of the benzo's are addictive, as are the narcotics which probably goes w/ out saying. I still HAVE to take xanax, tho I don't want to. If I stop, a seizure could easily kill me-so I'm basically a junkie, tho I've reduced my dose. I take 3 mgs a day, spaced roughly 8 hours apart. The MD who prescribed it has been charged in a multi-million dollar wrongful death lawsuit. I don't use her anymore. Now-I have to try to explain to any MD I visit, why I'm an addict.
    They are not always so understanding; every alternative SSRI and anti-psychotic has been tried. They make me violently ill. Life's a gas!
    Ativan is a benzo that has a fairly short half-life, so DON't take it unless you absolutely have to. Benzo's work FAST, so if it works for you, keep some around. TRY never to depend upon it. Don't aspire to be an addict.

12. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

I was going to respond to this post this morning but -

What's there to add? The people who pine for open access to this stuff truly don't know what they're asking.

Been there. Don't you "love" the little spikes? Interdose withdrawal. Damn things are wicked. :mad:

LOL! "I don't use her anymore."

Now, I know you didn't catch it when you wrote this, but do you see the humor in there? :rofl: Thanks for the giggle--and no offense, ok?

13. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

No, I caught it- even in the most dreadful situations, humor can always be found. I forget whether it's Reader's Digest or whatever, humor IS the best medicine. For my taste, the drier the better. Makes one think.
    Spikes? Don't have 'em. I remember hearing the monster nurses say, just before I escaped from rehab,"He's about to spike, and he won't even know what to do." It was said maliciously-but, I felt it was important to know WTF they were talking about. Combed the net for definitions of 'spike'. There are several, of course. My fear was that they were right, as far as spiking from addiction withdrawal.
    They weren't. I was careful-the only bad trip I had was from the heroin they injected w/ out my consent. My metabolism is such that I react FAST to anything I take, (or am given). Plus, for whatever reason, toxins are usually cleared rapidly out. Not the heroin, but most toxins.
    Xanax-well, often I forget to take it. One of the hatchet faced ex-alkie nurses @ rehab grunted to me "You'd have to go a full day before you REALLY needed a Xanax"-she had her finger up my ass @ the time. Medical exam dontcha know. She was such a comfort! So, eventually I'll stop Xanax
    But in the meantime, I'm tired of the abuse I've experienced over the years for taking a medication prescribed by a so-called medical professional. At the time, Xanax was a wonder drug-Who knew? Well, now even tho I seldom use it, I never leave the house without ID, cellphone, keys, H20 and what Karen Walker referred to as 'party mix'. A bottle of uppers, downers, and in-betweeners.:biggrin:

14. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Spikes, maybe not the way to describe it. Essentially "interdose (in-between doses) withdrawal" symptoms.

Think peeks and valleys. At three times a day dosing alprazolam is just too short-acting for me. But what's important is that it appears agreeable for YOU.

Stay with what works and all that. lol

15. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

actually, i can get along on 2-i always have leftovers before the refill.At one point, i was prescribed 8 mgs by the doc i mentioned.What a prize she was-NOT. I have a friend who uses ativan; he's prescribed 1/2 Mg a day, but he doesn't take it very often. he does alcohol instead. i found out the hard way-if you do both it's called 'cross-addiction'-NOT a good thing.
    that's why the rehab notes are there. In a controlled environment, where BP and pulse are checked every 6 hours, one can reduce xanax by 1 mg every 72 hours. It's hard, and i was a like an animal when i did it, but that's how it's done. as far as completely getting off benzos-i do not know. the final withdrawal is said to be the worst-possibility of grand mal seizures, etc.
    So i have reduced, 1/2 mg at a time-down. My current doc & the US govm't want me off em. easy for them to say.(aside-Bush's daughter is a xanax addict-tho i'm sure she's received the best of care; she'll ALWAYS want a nice hit of it). The big prob w/ benzos in general is that after awhile, they DON'T work. so my daily xanax dosage is nothing but a placebo ritual that i believe makes me able to face the world. No more, no less. do i start to shake-yes. do i know when it's time-like any addict, natch. is it real? i have no idea. what would happen if i just said NO. Hospital or jail.

Addiction is something.

Alanis Morrisette-I recommend walking around in your living room naked at anytime.

16. crazy

crazy Well-Known Member

Ativan can and does help. I was on it for awhile. Was perscribed to take up to 8mg a day even. Even though it helps it is very addictive and there are withdrawals that are absolutely horrible. I was being weened off it by my doctor and still suffered terrible withdrawals. I ended up having to be rushed to the ER via ambulence for withdrawal seizures. Please be cautious, if you think your getting addicted, can you at least tell you doctor that?

17. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

That is so nice. Sweetie, I've been on this junk for almost 30 years thanks to our fabulous medical miracle crowd. if i go, it's gonna be a limo; bill medicare.
    But i would offer this to the younger set here-CHECK OUT THE RAMIFICATIONS OF ANY DRUG YOUR FRIENDLY MD PUTS YOU ON-IF, DOWN THE ROAD IT TURNS OUT IT WASN'T SUCH A GOOD MED AFTERALL, ALL YOUR MD WILL DO IS SHRUG AND SAY "TSK, TSK" THE MD DON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH SHAKES, CONVULSIONS, SEIZURES FROM THE DRUG PRESCRIBED.
    THEY RAKE IT IN BIG TIME, AND THE NEWER THE DRUG, THE MORE IT SHOULD BE SCRUTINIZED-IT DON'T WORK THAT WAY. THEY LOVE THOSE RX REPS AND THE CONVENTIONS AND MEETINGS IN NYC, ONTARIO, LAS VEGAS-THEY BE MOVIE STARS! SO THEY BUY THE NEWEST DRUG THERE IS FOR WHATEVER
    AILS YA. PROBLEM IS, THEY DON'T HAVE A CLUE THEMSELVES, BUT BUSINESS IS BUSINESS, AFTER ALL.

18. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Indeed, it's a profit-driven, multi-billion dollar industry, that's the problem.

In this case, she/he may have been incompetent in getting patients off these meds. Done correctly, a complete discontinuation of benzos can be nearly unnoticeable as the body readjusts (this is called neuro-homeostasis and can require months of gradual decreasing).

I agree. It's a downward slippery slide; Bottomline: Each person is responsible for some semblance of knowledge of their the medication they are consuming.

My advice to all is: Remain blissfully ignorant and all-entrusting at your own peril.

ToHelp

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2008
  19. AlexDanish

AlexDanish Account Closed

Benzodiazepines, used mostly for sleep, reducing-anxiety, etc. Are slightly less addicting than barbituates and Heroin, Heroin being the most addicting.

Benzo's are very habit forming, although quite enjoyable. Lorazepam is great for reducing anxiety WHEN NEEDED. I currently, and have been, taking Temazepam, one of the most potent benzo's for sleep, and after the first three weeks I was addicted. So be careful. It's mostly because I fucked it all up badly by taking large doses to feel better.

20. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

And there ya go. It doesn't take long to start needing these things.

Aor the record, it's pretty well-established that a bad benzo addiction can be harder to stop and stay stopped than opioids. But it's that's pretty academic, because it's all the same in the end: caution, caution, caution, caution. lol

And a healthy dollop of common sense and *patient* awareness of the medicines they are prescribed. In the U.S., under our current healthcare system where patient time = money, we can no longer depend solely on our physicians for the information we need.

ToHelp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.